Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

For those of you thinking of picking up the new OLP next week..

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

DON'T. It's terrible. The departure of their previous guitarist has really hurt this band (and it's clear that he wrote most of Gravity, not this new guy). They've taken a new "Coldplay-ish" direction, and let me tell you frankly, Coldplay does it alot better.

Too bad really, I like this band alot.
Old 08-25-05, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No!!! This is hands down my favorite band. This completely sucks. I will now have to listen to it before purchasing. Before this, any album they had I would always purchase the first day and love it. Hopefully this is a mistake.
Old 08-25-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Did it leak online yet? You know...honestly the first time I heard Gravity I hated it because of the new direction so I'm gonna give this one the benefit of the doubt. But then again, maybe Raine was influenced by all that work with Avril Levine.......
Old 08-25-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackslade
No!!! This is hands down my favorite band. This completely sucks. I will now have to listen to it before purchasing. Before this, any album they had I would always purchase the first day and love it. Hopefully this is a mistake.
No, it's not. I got an advance copy, and it's terrible.

Where the hell is Vampires, which sounded like it was going to be a good song.

You will be disappointed.
Old 08-25-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What the hell is OLP?????
Old 08-25-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pillowhead
What the hell is OLP?????
Our Lady Peace
Old 08-26-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, got it last night and.....

OH DIOS MIO! OLP has finally released a craptastic CD. GRRR!!!!
Old 08-26-05, 09:52 AM

I also "sampled" the CD last night. Definitely not up to snuff. I am quite disappointed in OLP right now. Boo hiss.
Old 08-26-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the album was pretty decent... a step up from Gravity I thought... guess I'm in a minority, or just a really big OLP fan.

MATT
Old 08-29-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I've only listened to the 3 snippets up on their website, but based on those I'm expecting to like it as much or more than Gravity. While that disc had some good songs, I thought it was a big step backwards from Spiritual Machines. I'd probably rank their albums so far as:
1) Age of Spiritual Machines
2) Happiness is not a Fish...
3) Clumsy
4) Gravity
5) Naveed
To some degree though, I've liked every album of theirs, so I'm sure there'll at least be something about this one I enjoy. I'll be taking advantage of the Best Buy 2 for $20 cd & live dvd combo tomorrow.
Old 08-31-05, 02:24 PM

After picking up the album last night and listening to it throughout the day, I have to say it is pretty good. This goes against my previous post, but I am enjoying it. I think I was just in a negative vibe that day.
Old 09-22-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Their new album sounds nothing like Coldplay to me.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always sound like Our Lady Peace either. Or, rather, it sounds like fairly mediocre B-sides. I pretty much like 3.5 songs. But I don't necessarily hate the rest. "Love And Trust" is probably the best song on the album, and I'm really glad they played it last night when I saw them in Philly. I did find myself liking certain songs (other than the 3.5) better when I saw them play, but that usually happens for me.

I don't know. If it take you 1165 days to record an album, it better be a masterpiece. Or at least the best album of your career. This is far from it. This is almost as weak as Naveed.

K
Old 09-22-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
If it take you 1165 days to record an album, it better be a masterpiece. Or at least the best album of your career. This is far from it. This is almost as weak as Naveed.

K

Dude, this album is wayyyyy weaker than Naveed. It's like they took the b-sides from the gravity sessions and released them as an album.
Old 09-29-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
Their new album sounds nothing like Coldplay to me.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always sound like Our Lady Peace either. Or, rather, it sounds like fairly mediocre B-sides. I pretty much like 3.5 songs. But I don't necessarily hate the rest. "Love And Trust" is probably the best song on the album, and I'm really glad they played it last night when I saw them in Philly. I did find myself liking certain songs (other than the 3.5) better when I saw them play, but that usually happens for me.

I don't know. If it take you 1165 days to record an album, it better be a masterpiece. Or at least the best album of your career. This is far from it. This is almost as weak as Naveed.

K
Naveed has some incredible songs on it. I don't dig it so much as an album, but it has several solid OLP songs.

This album is no good. Wasted another hour listening to it this weekend. Sucked again. Clearly, losing their original guitarist is making this band suffer (see also Cake)
Old 09-30-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, for a bunch of 'fans', surprised most of you don't know that they parted company with their original guitarist, Mike Turner, BEFORE their last album, Gravity, and that this album would be thier second album with their current guitartist, Steve Mauzer. Also, their singer/guitarist Raine Madia writes about 80 percent of ALL their music. Thier former guitarist only co-wrote 3 songs (along with the other members of the band) which did end up on Gravity - so other claims to the contrary are completly wrong.

Anyway - I think this album is quite excellent! I will admit that it shocked me a bit at first listen, as after the uber commerciality of Gravity, this is certainly a change. And you know what, I for one, am glad that they didn't try to make Gravity part II. I liked the fact that they went out on a limb and tried some different stuff. It's definitely a grower, so give it some more time if it didn't catch you on first listen. I'm liking it more and more each time I hear it.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 09-30-05 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-30-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't think it's that bad. I certainly don't think it's their best (which for me, stands as Spiritual Machines), but it's not terrible. It's worth listening to every once in a while.

= J
Old 09-30-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've always liked OLP. But Gravity was a horrible record, and this one sucks too.

Do yourself a favor and pick up the solid albums from earlier in their career. The songwriting just sucks the last 2 records.