Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : SAW 2 poster recalled -- really a collector's item?

KillerQ
08-23-05, 03:28 PM
Hey all,

As many of you know, the SAW 2 poster originaly released showed two finger stumps and was deemed unacceptable by the MPAA and recently has been recalled before they will issue the film a rating (http://www.posterwire.com/). Now, would this really make this poster a collector's item? I mean, once the film is rated and released, cant the stores/companies release whatever poster they want? That is, once the movie is out, can't they release whatever they want?

Kinda confused....

Thanks,

Matt

PopcornTreeCt
08-23-05, 03:40 PM
I guess it depends on whether or not the poster actually gets recalled. Really the studio should just say fuck you to the MPAA and keep up the ad campaign and should all the movie theatre owners. Because this phantom power that MPAA has got to stop.

DRG
08-23-05, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I think the MPAA really started overstepping its bounds when it started rating posters and the contents of official websites. Posters should be at the discretion of the theater owner/manager. After all, he is the one that would have to deal with any complaints about a poster they hang up. And it's stupid that official websites can't feature "red band trailers". If the movie is rated-R, then a kid shouldn't be looking at the site to begin with.

Seantn
08-23-05, 10:48 PM
This is what I understand...

The SAW 2 Poster said the film was RATED R. However, the MPAA had not yet given a rating to the film. Also, I believe to be displayed at movie theaters it has to be approved by the MPAA. Often times they won't let a poster slip by if it has blood or obscenities on it.

I agree, it's absurd, and the MPAA shouldn't have the power to determine what I am allowed to look at. That's up to me.

Cameron
08-23-05, 10:55 PM
i still want to see the banned once upon a time in mexico poster where everyone is holding like 5 guns in each hand or something

RocShemp
08-24-05, 12:15 AM
i still want to see the banned once upon a time in mexico poster where everyone is holding like 5 guns in each hand or something
Wha-? That sounds awesome! Where'd you hear about that?

KillerQ
08-24-05, 06:14 AM
Hey...

But still -- after the film is properly rated and all that, the company can produce and sell whatever posters they want for the movie - right?

I just have a feeling, that after the movie is released, there will be no problem ordering the "banned" poster from any place -- especially online... What reinforces that is the fact that you can buy all of the bloody stump posters for SAW 1 that you want now -- and those were banned in the same manner...

Also, although it doesn't bother me, i find it funny that the MPAA allowed the Deuce Bigalow "leaning tower" poster.... I would think that that would have more of a public impact than a few zombie-like fingers.... Which brings me to my next point -- the fact that the fingers in the SAW ad are not flesh-colored and appear more "monster-like," may allow them to get away with more thank if the former were the case.

We'll see...

Later,

Matt!

teamwinfan
08-24-05, 08:24 AM
I made a killing selling SAW 1 posters... thanks Lions Gate!

KillerQ
08-24-05, 08:58 AM
Team,

It's funny how, now, the SAW 1 "banned" posters can be bought just like any other poster.....right? I seem to remember seeing them for sale on normal poster sites now....

Later,

Matt

Seantn
08-24-05, 10:22 AM
On Conan O'Brian many years ago, Matt Stone & Trey Parker said that the original title of the South Park movie was "South Park: ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE"...but the MPAA refused to let them use it because they didn't want the word "HELL" to be on all posters that sit in movie theater lobbies, tv commercials, movie trailers, etc.... (Yeah, because kids will never hear the word 'hell' anywhere else, right?)

So maybe they do have some control over how you advertise the movie.

They made Dimension Films stop airing a tv ad for Teaching Mrs. Tingle that showed Barry Watson letting Mrs. Tingle's dog lick a wine bottle, saying that Mrs. Tingle could drive anyone to drink...It was said that it might encourage teen drinking.

j123vt_99
08-24-05, 10:38 AM
They made Dimension Films stop airing a tv ad for Teaching Mrs. Tingle that showed Barry Watson letting Mrs. Tingle's dog lick a wine bottle, saying that Mrs. Tingle could drive anyone to drink...It was said that it might encourage teen drinking.

they should've stopped that ad sooner... my dog is up to a 6 pack a day

starseed1981
08-24-05, 10:40 AM
Woo hoo! I got three of these free at Wizard World a couple weeks ago.

Seantn
08-24-05, 12:31 PM
they should've stopped that ad sooner... my dog is up to a 6 pack a day

Well at least the MPAA stepped in before it reached too many people/dogs/cats. Damn you Mrs. Tingle, damn you to hell.

Oddly enough, I just realized that the tagline for the film was "They're going to give the teacher from hell a lesson", or something like that.

So I'm guessing it has to do with what size the type is on the poster, since the tagline would be in much smaller type than the title of a film.

Cameron
08-24-05, 12:35 PM
Wha-? That sounds awesome! Where'd you hear about that?

i think it was here... but i can find nothing on the search engine...i also remember seeing RR on a late night talk show (Carson daily mabe) talking about it....never heard anymore, so might be an urban legend.

devilshalo
08-24-05, 12:50 PM
I doubt it would be worth more than say.. the Spidey poster featuring the twin towers. Nowhere near the amount of the Revenge of the Jedi poster. Posters are a supply and demnd kinda thing, I remember the re-release special edition Star Wars ones selling uber rediculous before they hit theaters, then normal $20 pricing after that...

whynotsmile
08-24-05, 01:02 PM
check out this poster. Its disgusting. I cant believe its hanging in our theater. This should be banned. And what moron thought this was a good way to market a movie?

well i cant find the poster, but its pretty much a close up of the disgusting food items on the plate you can see on the website. Theres a gross lump of hair on food, bugs all over it and a footprint on it. its hanging right by the snack bar and people are always being grossed out by it

http://www.waitingthefilm.com/

KillerQ
08-24-05, 01:51 PM
Whynotsmile,

Hello -- I don't know if you are kidding in your post or not -- but in that case, being banned because it's next to the snack bar (or simply because it shows food/bugs, etc) isn't really a valid arguement. It's more of a matter of location, location, location decided by the manager. But who knows, I don't know all the protocol on behalf of the MPAA as far as posters go...

In the end, it will get people interested -- just as your link did since 99% of the people that clicked on it, would not have without you....

Still not sure if your rant is real,

Matt

H8nXTC
08-24-05, 03:54 PM
I remember when the initial poster for "Full Metal Jacket" was released and was pulled because it stated "In Vietnam, the wind doesn't blow, it sucks." I liked it enough to order a copy, don't know if it is worth anything today, but I think it's a collector's item.

Checking ebay, it appears they have one original for $50 and a gajillion reprints for 9.95.

Tyler_Durden
08-24-05, 03:58 PM
This pre-MPAA Once Upon a Time in Mexico poster interests me. Googling it didn't help, though... I wonder if anybody knows more?

Cameron
08-25-05, 01:30 AM
This pre-MPAA Once Upon a Time in Mexico poster interests me. Googling it didn't help, though... I wonder if anybody knows more?

same here...I have never even seen a mock up....if anyone has the dirt please pass it on.

PopcornTreeCt
08-25-05, 01:44 AM
The original title of the movie Teaching Ms. Tingle was Killing Ms. Tingle. Of course, had the original title stayed intact I probably would have seen this movie by now.

Fincher Fan
08-25-05, 02:15 AM
The original title of the movie Teaching Ms. Tingle was Killing Ms. Tingle. Of course, had the original title stayed intact I probably would have seen this movie by now.

Do yourself a favour and don't.

jca
08-31-05, 12:29 PM
I mean, once the film is rated and released, cant the stores/companies release whatever poster they want? That is, once the movie is out, can't they release whatever they want?

KillerQ, if you read the article(s) at the site you linked to -- Posterwire.com (http://posterwire.com) -- it mentions that all posters are approved by the MPAA. So no, they can't release whatever poster they want, even after getting the R rating (which isn't really the main sticking point.) Since the MPAA will withhold giving the film a rating until Lion's Gate recalls the poster (which they already have, and replaced with a new one), no studio will simply say "fuck you" to the MPAA as another user suggested. More powerful de facto censorship on the part of the MPAA.

nodeerforamonth
08-31-05, 05:43 PM
It will only become a collector's item if there is demand for it.

KillerQ
09-01-05, 07:10 AM
Hey all,

Thanks for the responses. The main reason I asked, is that I could have sworn that I saw the 'banned' body part posters from the first movie on sale on a poster website a few weeks ago. That led to me to believe that after the movie's out, they can do whatever....

Thanks,

Matt!