Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films "extended/revised" for network Television - The List

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 12:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

okay, I need a little help here, what films do you know about or seen on television where deleted scenes were put back in expanding the storyline and characters

Remember the Titans
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Birdcage

just to name a few

is there a dedicated website to this type of re-editing of films? IMDB occassionally lists this in their "alternate versions" but that would take forever to go through.

Title/availability:

1941 - OOP laserdisc
Backdraft - TV only
The Birdcage - TV only
Blazing Saddles - TV only
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - OOP Criterion laserdisc
Cry Baby - DVD
Dune - forthcoming Special Edition DVD
Far & Away - TV only
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - TV only
The Godfather Saga (I and II)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - TV only
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - TV only
Re-Animator - (scenes included on DVD)
Remember the Titans - TV only
Star Trek: The Motion Picture - DVD
Star Trek Ii: The Wrath Of Khan - DVD
Superman - DVD
Superman II - TV only
The Swarm - DVD
Waterworld - TV only

Last edited by Giles; 08-23-05 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-23-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know they almost always show an extended cut of Waterworld on TV.
Old 08-23-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TV cut of Pulp Fiction had the "Are you an Elvis or Beatles fan?" scene, and perhaps one or two others.
Old 08-23-05, 12:55 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Dune.
Superman.
Cry Baby.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
Old 08-23-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Blazing Saddles. The DVD has a whole bunch of scenes (Bugs Bunny type stuff) that were for the TV version only.

Also, I think The Godfather I & II were shown on TV with more unseen footage and called 'The Godfather Saga'
Old 08-23-05, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Blazing Saddles. The DVD has a whole bunch of scenes (Bugs Bunny type stuff) that were for the TV version only.

Also, I think The Godfather I & II were shown on TV with more unseen footage and called 'The Godfather Saga'
wasn't there a laserdisc version of "The Godfather" edited the same as the TV edit with the violence and language restored?
Old 08-23-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Far & Away
Old 08-23-05, 01:45 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek Ii: The Wrath Of Khan
Old 08-23-05, 01:49 PM

Backdraft
Old 08-23-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lots and lots I'm sure.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Re-Animator

Neither 1941 nor CEotTK are available on DVD in their original theatrical versions, which they should be on principle. I'm no purist, I love the extended 1941, hate the extended CEotTK, but the originals should be available regardless.
Old 08-23-05, 02:29 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Hate the extended CE3K?! Since it doesn't contain the only controversial addition from 1980's Special Edition (the extended viewing of the inside of the Mothership), what's to hate?
Old 08-23-05, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a lot (if not all) of these cases, scenes were trimmed or removed for content so they put in deleted footage to fill the running time. I have yet to see a TV edit that beat the original theatrical.
Old 08-23-05, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by RogueScribner
In a lot (if not all) of these cases, scenes were trimmed or removed for content so they put in deleted footage to fill the running time. I have yet to see a TV edit that beat the original theatrical.
Generally I agree, but the few expanded TV editions I preferred over the theatrical version are

- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Remember the Titans

I really really want the TV cut of "The Birdcage" on DVD with all the R-rated content reincorporated back in.
Old 08-23-05, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RogueScribner
I present as evidence...WATERWORLD!
Old 08-23-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Hate the extended CE3K?! Since it doesn't contain the only controversial addition from 1980's Special Edition (the extended viewing of the inside of the Mothership), what's to hate?
I saw it probably 20 times when it came out in '77, and I can spot every added scene ... to me they stick out like sore thumbs. If someone didn't know the original version it probably wouldn't be so bad, or bad at all. One brief insert that ruins a scene for me is Roy's encounter at the railroad crossing:

Spoiler:
there's a very brief insert of the shadow of the spacecraft moving over the landscape following his truck ... it makes the size and nature of the spacecraft much too obvious too early in the picture. At that point all one saw were mysterious lights with no definite outline of the solidity of the ships. I think this was changed per Spielberg's request on the Criterion laserdisc as well.

I don't think that the added scenes help at all in this case, as I thought the original was just about perfect. All of the changes (and they've been different in theatrical re-issues, tv showings, laserdisc, and DVD) take away from the movie that I liked so much. Just my own opinion.

This isn't a hard and fast principle for me, as I saw 1941 as many times when it originally came out and I much prefer the extended version of that movie.

Last edited by obscurelabel; 08-23-05 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-23-05, 02:43 PM

maybe I'm just imaging this but wasn't there an extra brief scene in the network airing of Return of the Jedi where Luke flies up to grates to escape the Rancor only to have his hands stepped on by some Jawa's and falling back down into the bottom of the pit.
Old 08-23-05, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
One brief insert that ruins a scene for me is Roy's encounter at the railroad crossing:

Spoiler:
there's a very brief insert of the shadow of the spacecraft moving over the landscape following his truck ... it makes the size and nature of the spacecraft much too obvious too early in the picture. At that point all one saw were mysterious lights with no definite outline of the solidity of the ships. I think this was changed per Spielberg's request on the Criterion laserdisc as well.

You might not like that scene but Spielberg has always liked that scene, it's a homage to his own movie Jaws where an overhead shot of the boat reveals the size of the shark in relationship to the boat

Last edited by Giles; 08-25-05 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-23-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know they shot extra scenes for Halloween for T.V. while they were filming Halloween 2. And i think Halloween 2 has extra tv scenes in it as well.
Ace Ventura has a lot of cool extra scenes in it that i think really add to the film(espicially if you're Cannibal Corpse fan).
When Sci-Fi channel played Army of Darkness it had scenes in it that arn't in the director's cut of the film but may be on the dvd as deleted scenes.
Old 08-23-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When Gladiator debuted on ABC in a 4 hour format, they put some of the deleted scene's in the movie (not sure if this is the version for the new ee that came out today), but they cut out alot of the graphic violence.
Old 08-23-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
The Lost World:JP
Old 08-23-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Howard Stern: Private Parts
Old 08-23-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
maybe I'm just imaging this but wasn't there an extra brief scene in the network airing of Return of the Jedi where Luke flies up to grates to escape the Rancor only to have his hands stepped on by some Jawa's and falling back down into the bottom of the pit.
You are on drugs... can I have some?
Old 08-23-05, 05:28 PM
Suspended

Mallrats is a whole new cut; they hired an actor to dub over all of Jason Mewe's lines and I think added some minor deleted footage.
Old 08-23-05, 05:34 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090142/alternateversions

Teen Wolf - The television version takes out two scenes and adds two scenes.

The scenes deleted:
- Stiles is looking for some marijuana in his garage and Scott confides in him he is a werewolf.
- Pam tempts Scott to become the wolf by getting him "worked up".

The scenes added:
- When Scott says his goodbyes to Boof after walking her home, he is all of the sudden being chased by a pack of dogs. He is saved by the family dog, Daisy.
- Scott is sitting on the porch with Daisy after coming home from the dance. He tells his father that he's decided to not become the wolf anymore. His father tells him he will use it when the time is right.

The cable TV version includes all four of the alternate scenes.
Old 08-23-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
The Outsiders-Trial sequence and
Spoiler:
Soda-Pop going berserk
. I remember seeing this on CBS one night and me and my sister were freaking out because we knew the theatrical cut so well.

Scarface-I dont remember seeing the extra freedom camp scenes on the television version, but I definetly remembered the scene of Tony Montana causing a distraction for Alberto when he plants the car bomb.

The Warriors-Daytime meeting,Swan & Ajax talking to each other, and the gang almost getting lost trying to find Syrus. I remember seeing all these scenes when TNT aired the movie.

Goonies-Footage of Chunk and Sloth searching for the Goonies underground. Origin of Sloth's "Hey You Guys" line appears here.

Highlander 2-Alternate ending that didn't have any narration, Just Macleod blabbering to Virginia Madsen about some BS.

And let's not forget Halloween

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.