Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sci Fi 50 classics

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-05, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sci Fi 50 classics

Friday I picked up two collections Sci Fi 50 Classics and Horror 50 Classics. These were $20 & $23 respectively. That’s 43 cents a movie. Many are really cheesy but lodes of fun especially for us old timers. I mean “The Giant Gila Monster” was a rip. Anyone else picked up these collections. Looks like a 150 hours or so of movies. By the way I thought I read a thread on this but searched and could not find it.
Old 08-22-05, 11:11 AM

What is the picture/sound quality like?
Old 08-22-05, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed them so much I picked up the war, kung fu, classic movie, and the 120 episodes of serials packs
Old 08-22-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am always leery of sets like that because it's full of stuff I've never heard of and I am thinking if the price is that low, they probably took old VHS copies and transferred them to DVD and they must look like crap.
Old 08-22-05, 04:11 PM

Yes, that's why I'm asking... so, "a handle", how is the image/sound quality?
Old 08-22-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I am always leery of sets like that because it's full of stuff I've never heard of and I am thinking if the price is that low, they probably took old VHS copies and transferred them to DVD and they must look like crap.
I have both of these sets, and calhoun07 pretty much nails the quality description. Still, it is only ~ $0.50/movie and most of the movies are anything but "classics" -- so a scratchy, washed-out, pan-and-scanned picture doesn't really seem like a travesty. At least as far as seeing the really cheesy stuff. IMO, the Horror set has a much stronger selection -- a real mix of classics, cult favorites, so-bad-its-good, and so-bad-it-hurts. The Sci-Fi set is pretty much all the last 2 categories (with Roger Corman's "The Wasp Woman" being the closest thing to a classic). I think the Sci-Fi set can literally cause brain damage if you watch them all Though I like having it -- there's something nice about having all those movies in a little box.
Old 08-23-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

which set specifically is it...pics?
Old 08-23-05, 04:45 AM

I am not the best at describing quality. As said above the quality fits the genre. Seems when I saw the originals they weren’t very good quality with film streaks and such. Seems to add to the whole thing. I also lie having all those movies in a little box sort of like for posterity or something. I certainly am not going to watch them all but quite a few for sure.
Old 08-23-05, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you talking about these sets?

http://www.treelinefilms.com/product...meg_desc.shtml

http://www.treelinefilms.com/product...meg_desc.shtml

Old 08-23-05, 02:25 PM

Those are them. I've got the same two sets. The PQ is terrible for the most part and the movies in general are often really bad. That's sort of what I was looking for, they're bad B movies. How could you pass up a set containing titles like Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and The Wild Women of Wongo
Old 08-23-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get these sets to keep in the guest room (along with a few other cheap - but better! -- movies). That way, guests don't go pawing through my *actual* DVD collection if they're looking for a movie to watch after going to bed.

These are decent collections if you can find them in the $20 range (which you can with some patience/hunting). But the quality is really hit or miss... don't expect miracles.