Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Valiant - First Disney CG Animated without Pixar bombs in Boxoffice ($6.09M)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like Disney needs Pixar, maybe this will show Disney that it needs to cough up the bucks/compromises to Pixar.

Valiant only does $6,090,000 in it's opening weekend.

All the reviews have been very average, but I was not going to see it because the way Disney treated Pixar, no Pixar no money from my pocket.
Old 08-21-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Valiant" is the first film in a multi-picture deal between Walt Disney Pictures and Vanguard Animation. It feels like an audition. The pitch is that Vanguard could take a computer-animated feature from drawing board to multiplex in just two years, far quicker than Pixar, which recently announced it would be flying the Disney coop after practically reinventing the medium with hits like "Toy Story."

http://www.freep.com/entertainment/m...e_20050819.htm

Vanguard Animation is trying to become the next Pixar - Strike One!
Old 08-21-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is awesome news. I am glad Disney is finally learning it's not CGI people are looking for and it's not CGI that will automatically make $$$ at the box office. But will they learn that people want stories with a lot of humanity and heart in it? GOOD STORIES? They piss away opportunity after opportunity to pull themselves up and make them great. They had something great with Lilo and Stitch, with rivaled the best Pixar flicks, IMO, but they half assed supported that movie because they had already made the decision 2-D animation was dead. I wonder how many more flops it will take before they realize people will see an animated movie if it's good, not based on what computer software was used to make it.

And I also think that this is just bad karma coming back to bite them where it hurts.
Old 08-21-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Errr...

Disney's first CG Animated film without PIXAR was Dinosaur...

You know?

The film which had a $100 million "secret lab" created for it?

You know, the same film which also then closed said secret lab?

Anyone?
Old 08-21-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a hard time calling this movie a Disney film, not to mention if Disney had any hope for the film they wouldn't have released it in late August. I doubt this means much for Disney animation or for Pixar.
Old 08-21-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Errr...

Disney's first CG Animated film without PIXAR was Dinosaur...

You know?

The film which had a $100 million "secret lab" created for it?

You know, the same film which also then closed said secret lab?

Anyone?
And yet it still managed to outgross the titanically expensive Polar Express in the worldwide boxoffice. Interesting how that works.
Old 08-21-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering that Disney is only distributing this film in the US (it's been released already by other distrib), and they paid a pittance to distribute it, it hardly is a "bomb". I think its opening week probably already recouped the distrib rights for Disney.
Old 08-21-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Why isn't this in the other box office this week thread?
Old 08-21-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This film also had almost no advertising. I'm not suprised in the least that it bombed. Disney obviously had little faith in it. I wouldn't be betting on a Pixar-Disney reunion quite yet.
Old 08-21-05, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
The pitch is that Vanguard could take a computer-animated feature from drawing board to multiplex in just two years, far quicker than Pixar. . .
That's not surprising, this movie looks bad. Like it was made 5 years ago.
Old 08-21-05, 09:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Why isn't this in the other box office this week thread?
Well, I tried to explain the situation there, and nobody listens...
Old 08-22-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe people are sick of CGI cartoons and, like me, are screaming for cell-animation to return.
Old 08-22-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie is currently out in the theaters? I have never heard any mention of it before this thread.
Old 08-22-05, 09:54 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ironically the movie that pretty much "killed" Disney cel animation, Treasure Planet, was the one that probably featured the most CG stuff mixed in. Regardless, this IS Disney after all, and I'm sure once CG movies really become old hat they'll trumpet the return of traditional cel animation like it's the second coming. "The studio that invented animation proudly returns with an all new traditionally animated adventure!!!" It's just like their moratorium release strategy, just applied to an entire form of animation.
Old 08-22-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Regardless, this IS Disney after all, and I'm sure once CG movies really become old hat they'll trumpet the return of traditional cel animation like it's the second coming. "The studio that invented animation proudly returns with an all new traditionally animated adventure!!!" It's just like their moratorium release strategy, just applied to an entire form of animation.
Yeah, that sounds about right.
Old 08-22-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hadn't even heard about this film until yesterday when I was at the movie theater and saw that is was playing.
Old 08-22-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, I've been seeing trailers for Valiant for about six months, or longer.

However, I wasn't aware that it was released yet.

Then again, I really don't pay attention to release dates nowadays. I used to look forward to it, but any more, Friday is just another day of the week.
Old 08-22-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Valiant was, by all means, a pickup by Disney and hardly the measure of success of their CG department. That movie will be Chicken Little. Nobody expected this film to turn Pixar, or even Ice Age, or even Robots types numbers. The marketing push just wasn't there and surely the late August release date should clearly show that Disney had no such preconceptions. I doubt they're impressed with the numbers, but we'll have to wait for Chicken Little before we can pronounce Disney CG as junk.

Though...I wouldn't say this means anything about CG animation. This subgenre in animation is still a cash cow. One low grosser doesn't erase the numerous massive hits that have been churned out.
Old 08-22-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
Maybe people are sick of CGI cartoons and, like me, are screaming for cell-animation to return.
I personally am looking for a good story, I don't care in which medium it is told.
Old 08-22-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
exactly. CGI or not. If the story is good, it could be a stick figure animation and I'll still watch it.
Old 08-22-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
really? why don't we just go back to Black and White films, Movies with no sound, and piano players in the Theaters while we're at it?

There's room for CGi and Cell stuff in the same world. Like others have said, if the story is good people don't care how it's presented. Especially when you target kids. They couldn't care less.

Besides, most recent cell stuff is still CGI enhanced anyway. Look at the beautiful Sinbad animated movie that came out a couple years ago. It had it all.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-23-05 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-22-05, 09:46 PM

Still cant decide if its worth seeing or not.
Old 08-22-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
When I saw the trailer some time ago I had zero interest... which is unusual since I'm an animation fan.

Hopefully Chicken Little will do well for them. I'm not as big a Disney-hater as others are.
Old 08-22-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

agreed this is hardly a disney title in the sense that any pixar title was. they have spent little on advertising, and this isn't an in house project. Just something to add to a theater schedule.

I think the thing that has helped many of the pixar titles is the great teaser trailers a good year before the movie ever hits.

I hope chicken little does well myself. I thought it strange when they started running the commercials with the classic gang in cg, and then twice upon a xmas....just looked funny. I hope it does well...i hope cel animation returns...i hope people let them live side by side.
Old 08-23-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I personally am looking for a good story, I don't care in which medium it is told.
yep and thats why disney needs pixar. while their movies look stunning on screen, they also know how to tell a good story in the process.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.