Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problems with sony receiver/coaxial

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Sony Home Theatre System (HT-DDW660) and it's been working fine until recently. We got an HD DVR box installed and had the coaxial audio output hooked into the sony receiver. It didn't pick up any of the dolby digital channels in surround, just "PCM 48 khz". Only utilizing the L-C-R speakers. So I tried it with the dvd player and same thing happens, getting no surround. I have no idea what would cause this. We've been using coaxial audio for almost a year now w/ this system and haven't had any problems until now. Do you think I just need to get a new coaxial cable or is there something wrong with the receiver? Thanks.
Old 08-16-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by existense
I have a Sony Home Theatre System (HT-DDW660) and it's been working fine until recently. We got an HD DVR box installed and had the coaxial audio output hooked into the sony receiver. It didn't pick up any of the dolby digital channels in surround, just "PCM 48 khz". Only utilizing the L-C-R speakers. So I tried it with the dvd player and same thing happens, getting no surround. I have no idea what would cause this. We've been using coaxial audio for almost a year now w/ this system and haven't had any problems until now. Do you think I just need to get a new coaxial cable or is there something wrong with the receiver? Thanks.
Check your manual for the correct way to set the receiver for auto decode and be sure that the dvd player is also set correctly to output the correct stream.
Old 08-16-05, 04:08 PM

It's on auto decode and the dvd player is set correctly. Still getting "PCM 48 khz" :-/ Thanks though.
Old 08-16-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by existense
It's on auto decode and the dvd player is set correctly. Still getting "PCM 48 khz" :-/ Thanks though.
Ok then, I am not clear on the exact problem.

It didn't pick up any of the dolby digital channels in surround, just "PCM 48 khz". Only utilizing the L-C-R speakers.
Are you saying that the HD DVR is not outputting surround?

I would back up and disconnect the HD DVR and get your dvd player working properly in surround mode. Then I would check the connection method for the HD DVR and make sure that it is also set for auto decode or surround. It sounds to me like there is a setting conflict with one or more of your input devices. It does not matter if the receiver is set to surround if the device is not sending a dd signal.
Old 08-16-05, 04:45 PM

Got it to work. Thanks!
Old 08-17-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Might pay to keep in mind there isn't always that much in actual surround sound on TV. Even HD programs are often stereo. Can be quite annoying at times when you expect something better. Sometimes it will even be encoded as 5.1 surround so your receiver will say so, but when you listen there are only 2 speakers doing anything.