Reload this Page >

Need PC game Recommendation....like Syberia

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-16-05, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I bought my wife a Laptop and now she is into adventure games. I'm looking for some good game recommendations.

She likes games like:
- Nancy Drew (yes, I know...younger audience)
- Mysterious Island
- Syberia (her favorite by far)

What else is out there....she didn't really want anything scary either.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts
Might want to try The Longest Journey,it's an adventure game that came out several years ago so you can get it on the cheap now.I have never played it but have heard nothing but great things about it.
Old 08-16-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Still Life" demo was pretty good, M rated. Point and click adventure game, good looking.

http://www.dreamcatcherinteractive.com/tac/still_life/
Old 08-16-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I asssume she's played the sequel Syberia 2.

Also, Runaway is pretty good and I second the suggestion of The Longest Journey.
Old 08-16-05, 09:26 AM

Also, Longest Journey has a sequel coming out next month called Dreamfall, so there's another to add to the list.
Old 08-16-05, 10:51 AM

If she hasn't played Syberia 2, she HAS TO. It's not so much a sequel as it is the second half of the game.

Several people have already suggested The Longest Journey, and I do too. I just played through it for the first time last week and it's excellent.

I'd also suggest Grim Fandango. The graphics are a little dated but it is still a great adventure game...one of my all-time favorites.
Old 08-16-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks...keep 'em coming. I still have to find Syberia2...most stores don't seem to have it, and EBAY they are going upwards to $15...which is not that great with shipping. I'll check out the Longest Journey also (I see 2CD & 4CD versions on EBAY...any difference?)

More, more

Thanks
Old 08-16-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
You can also find Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max on eBay, which are great adventure games. They should run ok on windows with ScummVM. Great old school games, if she doesn't mind that sort of thing.
Old 08-16-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts
If you can find it, try to get a copy of The Beast Within. One of the best adventure games I've ever played.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...gabriel+knight
Old 08-16-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts
If you plan to buy Longest Journey and have a CompUSA nearby you might want to check there.Last time i was there they had it on one of those isle racks of cheap $10 games.
Old 08-16-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 179 Likes on 124 Posts
People have already suggested my favorite adventure games (but I'll add my vote for them too, to give you an idea how many other people like these games).

"The Longest Journey" -- a fantastic game. One of my favorite story-telling gaming experiences. And a very good game for a "newbie", in that the puzzles are relatively easy. Don't be put off by the "M" rating, if you pay attention to such things. It's actually unfortunate -- this would be a game that would be wonderful for young teens (especially those not usually in the computer gaming demographic), but there's a single minor character who makes frequent use of a 4-letter word which single-handedly gives this game a "M" rather than "T" rating. There are some online people who really trash TLJ, but its generally because: 1) they're not a fan of adventure games, but just picked up TLJ because it won a "Game of the Year" award, 2) they don't like the fantasy genre, 3) they're put off by the lengthy conversations in the game (TLJ is as much an interactive novel as it is a video game). I'm a little worried about the sequel -- I've heard they're going to make it more of an "action" game. I guess that makes financial sense, but there are so many action and shooter games, and so few like the original TLJ. And its only $9.99 at Amazon (and probably elsewhere), so I wouldn't think you need to use eBay for it (and you know you're getting a new game). My game was 4 CDs when it was new. There's a newer "Game of the Year Edition -- maybe they used better compression to squeeze it down to 2 CDs. I'd avoid the "Explosiv" version -- from my experience with their packaging they don't give you any inserts/manuals (its all electronic, and I like having a paper manual in my hand when playing a game) and they stack multiple CDs on a single holder.

"Grim Fandango" -- also suggested here, another all-time great. The great thing about adventure games is that they age well. It's about the story and gameplay, rather than graphics.

Certainly seek out "Syberia 2" -- it pretty much completes the story (if you loved "Syberia", how can you not want to see how Kate Walker's journey ends, and see if she makes it to Syberia).

In a more comedic vein are Lucas Arts "Monkey Island" titles -- there are 4 I think. The last 2 "Escape from MI" and "Curse of MI" are easily playable on todays machines and can be bought new for $10.

The Gabriel Knight games are classics in adventure gaming (only the last one is still available new, and the first 2 are great but rather dated, and don't play easily on today's computers). They are horror games, but not in a slasher sense, but more an investigative supernatural mystery. Still, it may be disqualified depending on how strict you are with not wanting "scary".

I also like "Sanitarium" (which I see in many bargain bins) -- but it is a creepy little game, so may not be to your wife's taste. It's very surrealistic, about a man's adventure (mostly in his own mind) at an insane asylum and his search for own sanity. Quite original and striking, with its only debit in my opinion spotty voice acting (unfortunately worst in the main character).

Here's a last suggestion that technically is a fantasy role-playing game, but I've heard that its one that adventure game fans enjoy -- "Planescape: Torment". It's very story and character heavy, with extensive dialog (so people who don't like all the talking in TLJ tend to dump on it here too -- though you have the option of skipping it, that seems silly to me since you're robbing yourself of the storytelling). IMO, P:T is one of the very best (if not the best) computer games I've ever played, and one of the very few to hit me on an emotional level. However, its not an adventure game (though it shares elements with it) -- there are "stats", character inventories, creatures to defeat in combat. Though combat is tactical rather than "twitch" finger, giving you the chance to pause the game at any time and think things through. And combat is not a big element in the game (its mostly exploring the world, talking to characters, uncovering the story, solving puzzles). Still, its a different style of play than adventure games, so purchase with care.

As you can see, I like story and character driven games. Some people love games like "Myst", which is more pretty pictures and puzzles, and I don't really enjoy playing. But for those that do, there are a number of games in that style -- I'm just not familiar with them.
Old 08-17-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for all the recomendations...definetely will pick up Longest Journey and I have to track down Syberia 2.
Old 08-17-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts
Try Still Life and The Moment of Silence. Also Obscure is pretty good. But Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey are two great games
Old 08-19-05, 12:59 AM

Check Target for Syberia 2 if you have one close by. I've seen it in the value software section in jewel case packaging for $10 at several of my local stores.
Old 08-19-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, funny you said that...I just went there and they had both Syberia II and Longest Journey at Target, both $9.99/each

Not a bad deal...they were in the jewel case size box, but that's fine with me...easier to EBAY when I finish...err, she finishes
Old 08-19-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Not a bad deal...they were in the jewel case size box, but that's fine with me...easier to EBAY when I finish...err, she finishes
It's okay, you can admit that it's actually you and not your wife that likes the Nancy Drew games.