Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Atomik Circus.....I think I have seen it all now!!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Official site:
http://www.atomikcircus.net/

DVDcourtesy of Nicheflix:

I just finished watching Atomik Circus and decided that I must share what I saw. I am not going to use any spoiler tags because quite frankly ONLY if you see this film you will know what I am talking about. There is NO way in HELL I could spoil it for you. Trust me!!

So, here's the latest from the Poiraud brothers (Thierry and Didier) where we have a singing toothless dog, a gay cop (who dies very quickly), a fugitive, the wonderful Vanessa Paradis, violent head-chopping aliens, alternative ultra-avant-garde punk rock, and more blood and flying chopped-off heads than you could imagine. Try putting all of this together and you might get a very tiny idea of what Atomik Circus is all about. This film is as violent as Haute Tension yet it is as funny as...well, the closest I could compare it with is the Evil Dead series. Just when you think you have seen the most bizarre scene the Poiraud brothers can come up with...BANG... another violent/ridiculous scene...and....there is another head over in the ditch.

Bizarre, Bizarre film...it feels like someone got very high (and for a long time did not come back from the trip) and directed this extravaganza.

My head is still spinning! Phew!

Ciao,
Pro-B

Please note that the TF1 version is not English friendly yet the Thai version is. Could be found here:
http://www.thainetcity.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=dveu
Or, rented from Nicheflix. In fact, I will attempt to review the Thai disc for DVDTALK ASAP.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-17-05 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-16-05, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A shame about the absence of English subs, or else i'd be all over this (especially for $13!):
http://www5.cd-wow.us/detail_results...subcat=region2
Old 08-16-05, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
A shame about the absence of English subs, or else i'd be all over this (especially for $13!):
http://www5.cd-wow.us/detail_results...subcat=region2

Dr.Gerbil:

The Thai disc is only 3.99$...and it is English friendly (in fact, excellent English subs!!). Please see the link above. How could you go wrong with such a price. The transfer is not as good as the TF1 version (judging by what French reviewers have posted) but it is not extremely poor either. It is well-worth the 4.00$. Until someone come up with with a R2 English friendly version (or R1...some time).

As I mentioned above, I will run a review for DVDTALK for the Thai disc in about 48 hours.

This film is a KEEPER!!!!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 08-16-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Dr.Gerbil:

The Thai disc is only 3.99$...and it is English friendly (in fact, excellent English subs!!). Please see the link above. How could you go wrong with such a price. The transfer is not as good as the TF1 version (judging by what French reviewers have posted) but it is not extremely poor either. It is well-worth the 4.00$. Until someone come up with with a R2 English friendly version (or R1...some time).

As I mentioned above, I will run a review for DVDTALK for the Thai disc in about 48 hours.

This film is a KEEPER!!!!

Ciao,
Pro-B
$4 SHIPPED? I'm on this like Joan Rivers on a Red Carpet.
Old 08-16-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
$4 SHIPPED? I'm on this like Joan Rivers on a Red Carpet.

I don't know what the shipping is (how bad could it be though when the price is so low) but the Thai price is 3.99$. And before anyone asks....NO, this is not a bootleg.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-16-05 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-16-05, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I don't know what the shipping is (how bad could it be though when the prices if so low) but the Thai price is 3.99$. And before anyone asks....NO, this is not a bootleg.

Pro-B
Much thanks, Pro-b! Atomik Circus for $7, coupled with the $5 Delicatessen I picked up has made this a superb evening.

Last edited by DrGerbil; 08-16-05 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-16-05, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also available over at ethaicd for $7.50 shipped.

http://ethaicd.com/list.php?keyword=...imageField.y=0

I've ordered from them once before (Ong-Bak), and had excellent service. Received my dvds in less than a week.
Old 08-16-05, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, for price and Pro-B's recommendation, I just put the order in, $7.50 shipped...Hell, even if I dont like it, Ive paid less to go see bad movies in the theatres. Thanks for the heads up
Old 08-16-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
These don't appear to be anamorphic. Can anyone confirm?
Old 08-16-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

CDWOW shows the disc as anamorphic.
Old 08-16-05, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this movie better than UNDEAD? (I hope so)
Old 08-16-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My review for DVDTALK should be up shortly (I sent it this morning)....if Geoff approves it! The Thai DVD is 16/9 I can confirm that and not shabby at all yet...I assume, as I have not seen it but only read reviews about the TF1 disc, a notch or two below the French disc. For what is worth though whoever did the subs did an excellent job!! Superb!!

I would be interested in reading some comments from people that see it. This film just knocked me off completely (if for no other reason at least for the fact that it teams up some mainstream actors in such an extremely violent film). Funny!

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-16-05 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-16-05, 12:50 PM

I shop at Ethai all the time - generally a disc or two a week - and they're excellent. Service is great and the shop owner is very English friendly. They actually added Atomik Circus after I nagged them about stocking it ... if you're buying individual discs Ethai tends to be the cheapest since they have their shipping costs included, but for bulk orders thaicdexpress.com may save you a bit ...
Old 08-16-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got in on this one. Thanks for wicked headsup.
Old 08-16-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Geoff has kindly approved my tiny review so here it is...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=17215

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 08-16-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Order placed!

Thanks again for sharing another great find, Pro-B!
Old 08-16-05, 03:58 PM

If I recall correctly the main character is Mickey's friend from Snatch right? This was an interesting one actually. Good watch. I agree!
Old 08-16-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the info Pro-b! I just ordered one!
Old 08-16-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So...what else should I order besides Atomik Circus?

So far I have that and District 13 (Banlieue 13) in my cart. Speaking of District 13, does anyone see it at ThaNetCity? I can only find it at eThaiCD.
Old 08-16-05, 08:48 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Originally Posted by twitch
I shop at Ethai all the time - generally a disc or two a week - and they're excellent. Service is great and the shop owner is very English friendly. They actually added Atomik Circus after I nagged them about stocking it ... if you're buying individual discs Ethai tends to be the cheapest since they have their shipping costs included, but for bulk orders thaicdexpress.com may save you a bit ...
I asked them to stock Atomik Circus too. The customer service at eThaiCD is great. They answer emails quickly. If you're looking for something they don't have listed, just drop them an email and they'll try to get it in stock. If they can't get it, they'll send you an email explaining why. They'll also answer questions regarding DVD specs like subtitles/audio languages, etc. Fast and reliable shipping. Excellent online retailer.
Old 08-16-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by splattii
If I recall correctly the main character is Mickey's friend from Snatch right?
Yes, that is correct!!

It is Jason Flemyng from Layer Cake (Crazy Larry), Snatch, and Bruiser I think. You know what is really strange though...he speaks some pretty good French, except when he uses derogatory remarks.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 08-16-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds interesting. I think I'll buy one.
Old 08-17-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

based on shiney reviews (thanks for that pro-b), I ordered this one!
Old 08-17-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn
So...what else should I order besides Atomik Circus?

So far I have that and District 13 (Banlieue 13) in my cart. Speaking of District 13, does anyone see it at ThaNetCity? I can only find it at eThaiCD.
I don't know for sure if it would be to your liking (it's certainly quite different than "Atomik Circus"), but IMO the finest Thai film I've seen and one of my favorite films from the past few years is "Tropical Malady". You can purchase that disc from Ethai for $10.50 shipped. The DVD is anamorphic with a very good 5.1 soundtrack (the sound design if phenomenal), and probably about on-par with the transfer quality of the "Atomik Circus" disc. Here's the link: http://ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=16373

A few reviews: http://www.villagevoice.com/film/052...,65385,20.html; http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...429582,00.html

There is a sort of film - a rare sort - that has you leaving the cinema in a light-headed daze, pointing back at the exit and asking the person you're with: "What just happened in there?" Such a one is this beautiful and strange Thai movie from director Apichatpong Weerasethakul, whose last film Blissfully Yours, about a Burmese immigrant and his Thai girlfriend was a little more conventional. Certainly it couldn't prepare us for the demi-fantasy mescaline headtrip that is Tropical Malady. Just thinking about it now makes me want to burst out laughing at its sheer audacity, its eccentricity, its unashamed aspiration to poetry and its nimble evasion of anything so commonplace as an explanation. * * * * * I thought then, and think now, that it's the most daring movie around: a film that deserves to be thronged with open-minded cinema-lovers on the lookout for something that doesn't just shuffle the same old dog-eared pack of cliches.
Old 08-19-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just ordered this dvd.....thanks for the tip Pro-B!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.