Reload this Page >

Darkwatch anyone played it?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Darkwatch anyone played it?

Old 08-15-05, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darkwatch

Well Darkwatch is out in stores and it's a pretty good FPS. It has some areas where it could be improved, but all in all its worth at least a rent. here's my review of it.

Darkwatch is awesome. I was a bit skeptical at first. But wow, the graphics are great, the AI is hard enough to keep you in the game, but not so hard that you want to quick playing. The weapons are insane. I love the melee action. The enemies are scary and awesome. I hate Banshee's, they are a bitch to kill and they do a lot of damage. The story is well written and flows nicely. The game play its self is a bit fast. It took less then 7 hours to beat the whole game at the second to hardest difficulty. But after beating the game, you get “Extras”. The “Extras” I’ve gotten are a concept art video showing the evolution of Jericho Cross, all the story videos in the game, and the statistics showing how I did. There are two ways to play. Story mode takes you through the game normal. Gunslinger lets you play specific levels of the game. There are 4 levels of difficulty. The controls are pretty comfortable. The only problem with the controls I had on the PS2 version involve changing weapons when moving around. The left analog stick controls movements, the left one controls aiming of weapons. The left and right arrow keys control leaning left or right (respectively). The up arrow switched through your throwing weapons and the down arrow switches through your main weapons. All the weapons have melee action which comes in handy when you’re surrounded by the undead. The hardest level to fight your way through is easily the one where you have to fight in the day light, which makes you lose your vampire powers and leave you more vulnerable to attacks. In this level your main enemies are “Braves”. These now undead native Americans are relentless in their attacks. Not only do they have melee attacks like all the other enemies, they also throw hatchets at you, and some shoot flaming arrows. The plot twists are quite exciting. A hint to one is that you lose a good agent early on in your quest to save your soul, but she (yes SHE) will still be there with you through the rest of the game. For a first person shooter, this game is one of the best. It reminds me a lot of playing half life. I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of first person shooters or a fan of action games in general to go out and give Darkwatch a try. The blending of the old west with vampire action and shooting is simply great.
Overall I give it a 9.3/10.

Last edited by kornfreak; 08-17-05 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-15-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just going to start a thread for #83 and you already beat me to it!

But the game is looking very good! Looks amazing and you get to kill vampires in the old western world!

Last edited by Dutin; 08-15-05 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-17-05, 04:54 PM
Banned

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of vampires. I mean, it's mostly just zombies. but still, killing zombies is pretty cool. I'm loving the stationary machine guns. Shooting off the arms of an enemy, then watching him look at the bluddy nubs which once were connected to moving extremities, its great.
Old 08-17-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Is it out or not? I went to Blockbuster(I've got some store credit there) and the guy said it would be out at the end of the week.
Old 08-17-05, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Is it out or not? I went to Blockbuster(I've got some store credit there) and the guy said it would be out at the end of the week.
Thats wierd.
It was supposed to be outg on the 16th, but alot of places didn't put it out till today (the 17th). I know Target had it listed in their ad (with a free Tala shirt) as coming out on the 18th. IDK.

if nothing else, it should be out tomorrow. Maybe blockbuster got their shipment in late or something.
Oh well, when you do get it, do tell us what you think.
Old 08-19-05, 06:57 PM
Banned

since no one is posting here (pretty much), i'm guessing alot of you haven;t played the game. Have any of you even heard about it?
Old 08-19-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kornfreak
since no one is posting here (pretty much), i'm guessing alot of you haven;t played the game. Have any of you even heard about it?

Most here wait until price drops occur and most here are also pretty particular(anal and difficult to please ) when it comes to most games so I doubt Darkwatch will even register on this forum for many months. And when it does finally make some noise it will be very little and primarly complaints about this and that. But we'll probably see one or two "Great underrated Game" posts a year or so down the line and Darkwitch will probably be listed by a few. I know this because this happens to all the games I happen to like . For instance, Bloodrayne 1 and 2, The Kain/Soul Reaver series, The Suffering, the 2 Godzilla Melee games, and many others. Hey, if it isn't Resident Evil, HALO, or some cutesy poot Japanese game geared for kids for the most part they won't care.

In other words... don't expect much for a while.
Old 08-19-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And the fact that no one's talking about it bodes well for a quick price drop. In a month or so when it hits $20-30, it'll be mine.
Old 08-19-05, 08:22 PM

I am also waiting on the price drop. Does this game have offline bots? I know the XBOX and PS2 both have their own exclusives, which are disappointing to say the least... It's sad knowing you're missing out on features.
Old 08-19-05, 09:48 PM
Banned

to the best of my knowledge there are no bots for the xbox online version. The PS2 version does not have online, but it does have a multiplayer feature, an extra level, and splinter grenades (which are pretty cool).
I haven't played it online, but I've heard gret things about it. Anyone played it online?
Old 08-21-05, 12:11 AM
Banned

here's a neet little quiz from the people behind darkwatch
"Are you a good or evil vampire"
http://quizilla.com/users/Darkwatch/...l%20vampire%3F
Old 08-21-05, 09:21 PM
Banned

for those of you who haven;t baught the game yet, Circuit City has it on sale for $39.99 this week. Everyone else has it for $49.99, but target gives a $10 gift card when you buy it.
Here's some videos to get you interested.
Jericho Cross trailer:
ftp://ftp1.highmoonstudios.com/darkw...Trailer_sm.mov

Darkwatch: The Hunt (A TEKWATCH Production:
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=darkwatch-the-hunt

Darkwatch Prologue
http://www.darkwatch.org/darkwatch/media/player.html

Last edited by kornfreak; 08-21-05 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-21-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It'll be $15-30 in 6 months. Also, I can get it now for $30 at GR Blockbuster after trade-in 2 games but i have no cash
Old 08-21-05, 11:32 PM
Banned

$15-30? Really?
I don;t think it will drop in price that fast. Have you played it yet?
Old 08-21-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
It'll be $15-30 in 6 months. Also, I can get it now for $30 at GR Blockbuster after trade-in 2 games but i have no cash
really? Hmm, I've got $33 credit but I've already traded most of the games I wanted to get rid of.
Old 08-22-05, 11:18 AM
Banned

even if you don't buy the game. You have to rent it. Its pretty fast. i beat it the first time through in under 7 hours.
Old 08-22-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
really? Hmm, I've got $33 credit but I've already traded most of the games I wanted to get rid of.
Yeah, see the GAMERUSH deals thread
Old 08-22-05, 12:20 PM
Banned

you think the gamerush deal is better than $39.99 at ciruit city?
Old 08-22-05, 08:43 PM
Banned

I'm starting to think that people don't know about this game. I feel all alone here.
Old 08-22-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kornfreak
I'm starting to think that people don't know about this game. I feel all alone here.
actually, I'm starting to feel as if you work for the makers of Darkwatch.

Just kidding. Re-read my earlier post about dvdtalkers and new games. Did you think I was making that shit up? I wasn't....
Old 08-22-05, 09:15 PM
Banned

actually, I'm starting to feel as if you work for the makers of Darkwatch.

Just kidding. Re-read my earlier post about dvdtalkers and new games. Did you think I was making that shit up? I wasn't....
lol. No, I don't work for highmoon studios, the makers of highmoon. I wish I did. I'm just a big fan of the game looking for other people who like it.
i hope it does well, Cause I think there is alot of potential in it for a sequal or maybe even a game series. "darkwatch through the ages". IDK.
Maybe I should have made the thread tittle be "Darkwatch or Halo?" :-/
Old 08-22-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just rented it tonight and I think that it's a pretty decent rental title. Made it through the first three stages so far, and the story seems promising, but it's taking quite a while to move it along since the beginning of the game.

As far as FPS's go, it's a little repetitive (the same base enemy in waves mixed in with a few more interesting ones), but I really like the melee attacks in the game, and the GB&U remix is pretty cool. I'll post a little more once I play for another few hours.
Old 08-23-05, 12:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheDude
Just rented it tonight and I think that it's a pretty decent rental title. Made it through the first three stages so far, and the story seems promising, but it's taking quite a while to move it along since the beginning of the game.

As far as FPS's go, it's a little repetitive (the same base enemy in waves mixed in with a few more interesting ones), but I really like the melee attacks in the game, and the GB&U remix is pretty cool. I'll post a little more once I play for another few hours.
Yah, i love doing melee attacks. What's you favorite weapon so far?
Old 08-23-05, 09:49 AM

I finished up the single player campaign last night. It's definitely very short, took me just under 5 hours. The ending feels very abrupt, and the final boss fight is very much on the easy side, at least on the normal difficulty (Cowboy or whatever). You could make an argument that Darkwatch suffers from the same afflictions as almost all other FPS games, those being not enough enemy types, similar weapons to other games, repetitive gameplay, etc... All that being said, I enjoyed the game immensely. The atmosphere is great, the gameplay is solid FPS fun and both the graphics and sound are very solid. I wish there would have been more horseback riding stages, those were very fun. Highly recommended as at least a rental.
Old 08-23-05, 04:26 PM
Banned

the horseback missions were great. actually all the vehicle missions were great. I just wish there were more of them or were used more in the game.
What'd you gies think of the Jericho/Tala sex scene? "hot coffee" esque? think it will cause darkwatch problems?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.