Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Carnivāle Region 3 at Koreandvds and a Disney ?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-14-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this for around 20 dollars us at koreandvds.com, and was wondering if anyone else had preordered with them. I also noticed some disney titles for under 5 bucks. Wondering if this was a legit deal. This goes back to my dvdaff thread. It isn't listed in any other region at the moment. None of the disney titles are either. I am amazed at how cheap the american titles are at this site. Do they come in keepcases with art and everything?

Any help is appreciated.

i also saw this listed

We finally converted the outstanding 10% coupons from our Christmas Promotion for your use. For we have been 15 days late in converting the coupons, we have pushed back the expiration date to September 15th. Please note that you can use one coupon per order.

any idea what the coupon code is?

Last edited by Cameron; 08-15-05 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do North Americans think that cheaper = boot? Just because the rest of the world doesn't pay for elaborate marketing schemes doesn't mean they are bootlegging.
Old 08-15-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

no...its just that they are selling disney movies that have been long gone for some time. I also thought it strange that no one over here had jumped in on this deal for the tv show.
Old 08-15-05, 12:46 PM

Don't know if this is one of them, but KoreanDVDs has sold some bootleg titles in the past ... wouldn't be a big shock ...
Old 08-15-05, 01:03 PM

All the korean webshops I know (dvdfromkorea.com, dvdheaven.com) have Carnivale S1 for sale at approx. 20-25$. I'd be very surprised if they turned out to be bootlegs.
Old 08-15-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts
I also noticed they have Sopranos Season 2 listed for $28.99.

There is the following caveat in the title descriptions, however:

Titles produced in Korea are subject to government censorship when it involves nudity and violence. Although the censorship has been lessened over the years, frontal nudity and extreme violence(although rare) are forbidden. Please be careful especially when purchasing erotic movies. When you are worried about censored and deleted scenes of graphic violence and frontal nudity, do not buy from our site.

Might be a big risk, especially for Sopranos.
Old 08-15-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My copy of Olboy came from Koreandvds complete with a graphic sex scene, tooth pulling with a hammer, live octopus eating, cutting off a tounge with scissors, and all other violent parts intact. I highly doubt they censor them.
Old 08-15-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by splattii
Why do North Americans think that cheaper = boot? Just because the rest of the world doesn't pay for elaborate marketing schemes doesn't mean they are bootlegging.
The American studios charge high licensing fees to studios who distribute their titles abroad. If you see a full-season American TV series labelled as an "Asian Collector's Edition" for a price much lower than it would cost in the US, especially if the disc is claimed to be all-region, it's almost always a bootleg.
Old 08-16-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
If you're worried about KoreanDVDs try dvdfromkorea.com. I always use them and have never had any problems at all.

The censorship thing is only on erotic movies, and (as far as I know) only if it's hardcore....
Old 08-16-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys...I am going to assume this is not a bootleg. So many people in this forum seem to use them, and I believe they have even advertised on this site frequelntly...I know dvdtalk isn't in to bootleging...so i may just grab this up with a few others.

Anybody have a better word on the disney stuff
Old 08-16-05, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Anybody have a better word on the disney stuff
The Disney-stuff is a bit more dubious. As I understand it, the laws conserning "public domain" is less strict in Korea. That's why you'll find LOTS of Disney-releases there. None of them official disney-releases, but not exactly boots either.
At least that's my understanding.
Old 08-16-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by run1
The Disney-stuff is a bit more dubious. As I understand it, the laws conserning "public domain" is less strict in Korea. That's why you'll find LOTS of Disney-releases there. None of them official disney-releases, but not exactly boots either.
At least that's my understanding.
got ya
Old 08-16-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
My copy of Olboy came from Koreandvds complete with a graphic sex scene, tooth pulling with a hammer, live octopus eating, cutting off a tounge with scissors, and all other violent parts intact. I highly doubt they censor them.
The sex and octopus scenes yes, but the tooth and tongue scenes were all of the "resevoir dogs" style - you saw before and after shots, but not the actual acts.

Also, from what I've heard, live octopus is not a terribly rare dish in Korea.
Old 08-22-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys...I am going to assume this is not a bootleg. So many people in this forum seem to use them, and I believe they have even advertised on this site frequelntly...I know dvdtalk isn't in to bootleging...so i may just grab this up with a few others.
Cameron, did you order this, and if so have you had a shipping notification yet?

I ordered, but it seems to be staying at "In Progress" even though it's released now. I'm itching to see what this set is like for that price! If it's good, I'll be in for Sopranos Season 2.
Old 08-23-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

no...i was waiting for a comparison to pop up, and see how the packaging looked. Hope your set ships out soon, love to hear from you on the disc and package as a whole.
Old 08-23-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright then. I'll post when I receive it, along with pics of the packaging.
Old 08-23-05, 04:41 PM

I too have a Korean DVD of Oldboy that is uncensored. However, I also have a Korean DVD of The Last Temptation of Christ, and it is censored (pixellation over the genitals on the cruxifiction scene). I have at least one other Korean DVD that is censored, but the title escapes me at the moment. I will not order anything from Korea that I know has scenes likely to be censored --anything showing genitalia for instance.
Old 08-27-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

andicus...did it ship yet
Old 08-27-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

andicus...did it ship yet
Yep. Shipped on 8/24.

I'm a little concerned as someone on the Koreandvds.com forum inquired as to whether it was censored or not, citing the 635 min. runtime listed there, as compared to the 720 min. stated elsewhere. I'm hoping the 635 is referring strictly to runtimes of the episodes, and that the 720 includes extras. 85 min. would be a helluva lot of cuts. Or, that the 635 is just a mistake. We shall see...
Old 08-31-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received yesterday (8/30)! The good news is, it's a nice set, indeed. The box does, in fact, indicate that it's 635m but I have checked one episode for censoring. Episode 11, which has some lesbian action between Clea Duvall and Carla Gallo, is intact. There is also a scene from the "cootch show" which appears to be intact, as well. The length of the episode also matches one I was able to download, so I don't think anything is cut from this particular episode. Hopefully that is the case for the rest, but I don't have run times to compare them to. If someone has the R1 set, and they'd like to post the episode times, I'd be glad to check them against this version.

The other interesting news is that, although, the box indicates R3, it appears to be region free. I was able to play it on my all region player, and my strictly R1 player.

What you see, is what I got. There were no inserts (although the clear cases show the episode info from the back of the outer cover, as can be seen below), or anything else besides the box and three cases, each holding 2 discs. I don't know how that compares to the R1 release, either.

As an added bonus, the writing on the customs declaration looked like it read "$4.98" instead of "$21.98" so I wasn't charged any tax or $5 handling fee by Canada Post, saving me almost $10.

Overall,

Old 08-31-05, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is great news, especially the region-free part, so I will be able to lend it to my friends without worry. Mine just shipped today from dvdheaven.
Old 08-31-05, 03:25 AM

thanks for posting the pics andicus.

so whats the 85 mins difference due to? does the r3 set have any extras?

and can someone who has the region 1 release say how this compares, especially the packaging/inserts?

Last edited by hi_mom; 08-31-05 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-31-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good news indeed...looks like i will finally place an order.
Old 08-31-05, 10:04 AM
Banned

Fight Club was censored. The only place to get a DTS version OFFICIALLY from Fox and the Penis shots were blurred but, of course, all the violence is left in. Nice to know the rest of world has morals just as fucked up as our country.
Old 09-02-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hi_mom
thanks for posting the pics andicus.

so whats the 85 mins difference due to? does the r3 set have any extras?

and can someone who has the region 1 release say how this compares, especially the packaging/inserts?
You're welcome!

And thanks to Cameron for pointing this out in the first place!

I don't know what the discrepancy is with the 85 mins. There are some extras. 3 commentaries, and a "Making of Carnivale" featurette, which is interesting, but only about 12 minutes long. The only thing I could speculate, is that the original 720 minutes time was based on 12*60 min. when in fact, the episodes are under 60 mins. in length.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.