Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 03:46 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Six Feet Under - "Static" - 8/14

STATIC

Spoiler:
As David's fears take over, Keith tries to protect him--and the boys; Billy attends to his sister; Claire goes on a drunken harassment spree and pushes Ted away; Rico pushes for a talk about the business; George tries to help Ruth with Maya; Nate urges Brenda to embrace a taboo; and Vanessa sees the future in a funeral home.

Claire's part sounds like it sould be pretty good.

Only 1 more after tonight
Old 08-14-05, 05:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
After last weeks tearjerker, I am stoked to see how Alan Ball will decide to end the series. Hopefully some happiness will be found for some of the characters who deserve it.
Old 08-14-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait. God, I love this show...even when there's only 2 episodes left
Old 08-14-05, 07:06 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Heads up for those that are recording next week: The finale is scheduled to be 75 minutes long according to the TV listings.
Old 08-14-05, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by david12
After last weeks tearjerker, I am stoked to see how Alan Ball will decide to end the series. Hopefully some happiness will be found for some of the characters who deserve it.
Lets see... I guess Rico has found some happiness. One episode to go for the rest of them to find it! Somehow I doubt it.

That dream of Brenda's almost made me vomit.
Old 08-14-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loved drunk Claire.

"I need you to file this."

"...that little Kirsten is a fuckin' bitch!"
Old 08-14-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Probably the most disturbing line ever uttered in the history of TV:

"This is what your penis would look like if you were a boy"
(paraphrased of course)

Wow...just wow.
Old 08-14-05, 10:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Solid episode this week. A lot of stuff is bound to happen in the 75-minute series finale next week.
Old 08-14-05, 10:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I actually thought this weeks episode was kinda shitty. My mother and I agreed that after last weeks, nothing would seem good enough. So, unless next weeks show is perfection, they should have ended it with Nate's funeral. Very underwhelmed, but still excited about the finale.
Old 08-14-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah...i wasn't really impressed....it's all kind of a letdown after the previous two though....I'm just wondering if Claire took her $950 and hopped a bus to Seattle or something....
Old 08-15-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by david12
I actually thought this weeks episode was kinda shitty. My mother and I agreed that after last weeks, nothing would seem good enough. So, unless next weeks show is perfection, they should have ended it with Nate's funeral. Very underwhelmed, but still excited about the finale.
I didn't really like the fact that everyone is falling apart a month after Nate dies. I was really starting to like Claire again and then they have her snap out of nowhere. And why is George so together now?
Old 08-15-05, 01:02 AM

Well, the final episode is directed and written by Alan Ball, so I don't think I'll be disappointed. True, this episode is uneven, and considering how brilliant the last two was, this was a bit of a "filler". But I guess they didn't want to just leap to pat endings and give characters some "static" - ie., they remain as F'ed up as they were before. So ya, I'd consider it a transition episode.
Old 08-15-05, 02:44 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

"Claire, stop listening to the static"

"What the fuck does that mean?"

I like how Nate appears to everyone , to Brenda he's an asshole that tears her apart, to Ruth he's the loving son, and to Claire he's stoner.

There's a lot to resolve next week.
Old 08-15-05, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
"Claire, stop listening to the static"

"What the fuck does that mean?"
Great scene and it was capped off perfectly by Nate running away.
Old 08-15-05, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Roto
I didn't really like the fact that everyone is falling apart a month after Nate dies. I was really starting to like Claire again and then they have her snap out of nowhere. And why is George so together now?
I feel the same way....I was starting to like her again until last night....I didnt like last night's episode as much as the past few weeks. Im still confident that the series finale will be good.
Old 08-15-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Roto
And why is George so together now?
Yeah..I was a bit taken back by all the "healing." When Ruth said "do ya think we can raise her?" I literally said out loud.. "We?!?!?! What's this we shit...you dumped his sick butt weeks ago?" Then Rico is all talking like he wants to start a busness with a woman who used him for a live-in babysitter and "abuses" him mentally.

But yeah...6 weeks had passed.. Maybe it's not too unreasonable to think this could have taken place...especially how a funeral can really make people see what's important in life.

Can't wait for a Ball written/directed episode! Have we had one this season?
Old 08-15-05, 11:13 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Man, I really fucking hate Claire. I wish she'd died when her car flipped. I love how she went after the people driving the SUV because it uses too much gas, but she herself drives (well, drove) a Cadillac hearse with more than likely a 500 ci V-8 engine, which probably got less than 10 mpg. What an infantile hypocrite.
Old 08-15-05, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I love how she went after the people driving the SUV because it uses too much gas, but she herself drives (well, drove) a Cadillac hearse with more than likely a 500 ci V-8 engine, which probably got less than 10 mpg. What an infantile hypocrite.
Yup, I was thinking the same thing. Plus, there's no way I would have taken all the crap that Ted took during Claire's tirade.
Old 08-15-05, 11:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm sorry, but am I the only one that feels that this whole season has been unnecessary? Alan Ball wrapped up most (not all) of the storylines perfectly at the end of last season. Damn near all the storylines this season seem to be the writers grabbing for all the past story threads to resurrect them.

It just all seems tacked on. Even Nate's death.

While the episodes have all seemed well made and well written, they just don't seem needed.
Old 08-15-05, 11:40 AM

Just a reminder that the 2-part Six Feet Under 2001-2005 "In Memoriam" special airs tonight.
Old 08-15-05, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by BassDude
Yeah..I was a bit taken back by all the "healing." When Ruth said "do ya think we can raise her?" I literally said out loud.. "We?!?!?! What's this we shit...you dumped his sick butt weeks ago?"
Well, due to the episode where the old Chinese lady told Ruth to stick to a dog you know (something like that), that she would get back with George.

Also, after last week's show, the way he handled himself at the funeral and commented that his fiancee was gone, I assumed they were getting back together. So, this part didn't surprise me at all.
Old 08-15-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GAWD!!
That whole Brenda and Billy scene was sickening. Even if she was just dreaming it.. it was sickening. I think Nate may be right.. she and Billy ought to leave the country and live happily ever after.
YUCK!!
But, before they go.. she also needs to drop off the new baby at Ruth's.
Old 08-15-05, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Man, I really fucking hate Claire. I wish she'd died when her car flipped. I love how she went after the people driving the SUV because it uses too much gas, but she herself drives (well, drove) a Cadillac hearse with more than likely a 500 ci V-8 engine, which probably got less than 10 mpg. What an infantile hypocrite.
I've spent most of this season being annoyed at Claire and thinking she's just a spoiled brat who always wants her way, but her actions in this episode had the entire opposite affect on me.

I feel nothing but sympathy, as Nate's death has begun a downward spiral for her. Drinking and smoking away all her emotions, pushing people away...very similar to the mess she was after her father died, and now, Nate, who she always felt closest to, is gone. I think the moonlight scene with Nate was brilliantly acted by both. Her performance throughout the ep didn't seem forced or lazy; I can imagine people I know reacting in extreme ways at the loss of a close friend or family member; how can you know to what degree someone will "snap" as the result of something so traumatic?

Anyway, I can't wait to see how it all gets wrapped up next week. Although it's hard to look forward to the end of a classic series.
Old 08-15-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
This episode was a bit uneven overall. Claire really irritated me and I half expected/hoped to see Claire Fisher 1980-2005 after she rolled the car. I was seriously nauseous at Brenda's 'dream' and can not believe she gave up Maya if only temporarily. Ruth is so predictable with going back to George and David is getting on my nerves with the post traumatic stress flash backs. Interesting to see Keith asking David to go away and get his head straight. Be interesting to see how Rico swings a mortgage on his own business but it sure seems like having Vanessa help out was a prelude.

Going back a few episodes; I’ve always clung to the alternate reality theory with Nate’s first ‘death’ something I found very interesting about the dream sequence just before Nate died this time was the little sound clip right before he went in the water was Styx’s “Grand Illusion” and David and Nate Sr. saying why don’t you join him, why don’t you exchange. Some subtle hints that things may not be what they seem, or fodder for people like me? Can’t wait to find out, but I am sad to see this show go….

Link to lyics for Styx Grand illusion song for those so inclined…
http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Sty...-Illusion.html
Old 08-15-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the wife and I are going to wear black next Sunday in memoriam...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.