Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

WOW for dummies?

Old 08-14-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW for dummies?

I started a previous thread about Everquest, but now I am trying the WOW 14 day trial.. seems fun so far, but I feel like I am already running out of quests... I feel like most of my time is spent running from place to place..

i am a level 10 palladin training in engineering & mining... any suggestions are more than welcome?

couple of questions

1) after the 14 day demo, do i need to buy the whole game or do i just need to buy more time on the server
2) the vendors are selling all kind of stuff.. how do i know what i need and what i don't
3) is there a "walkthrough' site? exploring is fun, but gets tiresome after a while
4)when i first started the game, i got some device that sets your 'home' at whatever inn you visit last... how do i use that
Old 08-14-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,250 Likes on 720 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
1) after the 14 day demo, do i need to buy the whole game or do i just need to buy more time on the server
2) the vendors are selling all kind of stuff.. how do i know what i need and what i don't
3) is there a "walkthrough' site? exploring is fun, but gets tiresome after a while
4)when i first started the game, i got some device that sets your 'home' at whatever inn you visit last... how do i use that
1) No idea. My guess is that you would need to buy the game, which would in turn give you a code that you would enter to make your account permanent. That way you don't have to start over.

2) You shouldn't really need anything from the vendor except for ammo (arrows, bullets, etc). You should buy anything else weapons/armor/etc, from the auction house. It's much cheaper. Assuming you are an alliance paladin, you'll have to travel a bit to get to the auction house in Ironforge (take the underground tram in Stormwind - ask a guard if you don't know where it is)

3) There's tons of good sites that cover WoW like everquest is covered. Do a search, there's too many to list. http://www.thottbot.com is probably the best site out there though.

4) You can go to an innkeeper in any town and ask him to make that inn your new home. Then every time you hearthstone back you will appear there. You can hearthstone once an hour.

Another thing to poke around with is some of the addon "mods" that players have made, they can make gameplay much more enjoyable. Check out "cosmos" for example.

Running from place to place is pretty much what the game is all about. Get a quest, do it, get another quest.. at 40 you can get a mount and it will speed you up a bit.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-14-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
I started a previous thread about Everquest, but now I am trying the WOW 14 day trial.. seems fun so far, but I feel like I am already running out of quests... I feel like most of my time is spent running from place to place..

i am a level 10 palladin training in engineering & mining... any suggestions are more than welcome?

couple of questions

1) Yes, all your account information including the cdkey are tied to your account on the wow site. You have to buy the full version (you don't have to reinstall it though i don't think) and update your account on the website with the full version key
2) Good rule of thumb, if you don't know that you need it then you probably don't. Vendors don't sell anything of real particular use. Some sell quest items, but you will know you need those if you see them. If you're not sure then you don't need it
3) Thottbot and Allakhazam WoW site
4) Talk to any innkeeper and tell him to set this inn as your home. Then you can right click the stone in your inventory once per hour and get teleported dirctly to that inn

hope that helps
Old 08-14-05, 03:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
1) You need to buy the game, but you won't need to reinstall, just enter your serial # on the website (similar to how you set up your free trial)

2) In the early levels, vendors are good for armor and weapons. But after 10 or so, no more. They'll still be handy for things like reagents and ammo.

3) The game provides it's own walkthrough. There are hints at the bottom of your screen (the little ! boxes), and questgivers will tell you

4) Talk to any innkeeper. You should have gotten a quest that sent you to an innkeeper, who should have explained this part.

I don't understand how you are running out of quests. At level 10, they should be flowing fast and furious. What race are you, and what region are you in?
Old 08-14-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks guys.. i just found a town thelamar (or something like that) and found more quest there.. from reading online, it looks like a lot more quests come for my class when i reach level 12
Old 08-14-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

another thing.. the realm i'm in is crazy full.. is there a way to go to a new one without losing my character?
Old 08-14-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Some of the more crowded realms allow character transfers. Check the official WoW website for more details. Otherwise.. no.

Sounds like you found Thelsamar. Dwarf Paladin..

Last edited by General Zod; 08-14-05 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-14-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm planning on starting my 14 day trial within the next week and had a couple more questions.

1) Is the dvdtalk server still used by the dvdtalkers? Any info on servers would be great!
2) Any thoughts on class/race when getting started?
3) Any areas I should choose to start in to get going?

Thanks in advance for any advice and info!
Old 08-15-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Dutin
I'm planning on starting my 14 day trial within the next week and had a couple more questions.

1) Is the dvdtalk server still used by the dvdtalkers? Any info on servers would be great!
2) Any thoughts on class/race when getting started?
3) Any areas I should choose to start in to get going?

Thanks in advance for any advice and info!
1) I'm not sure. If I were you though I would shoot for any server that says its popularity is "low". Crowded servers means more lag, and the higher level people on here won't be able to help a low level character much.

2) Not really. All of them have advantages and disadvantages. If you like to Melee start a warrior, if you like to cast start a mage or priest or shaman, if you like having pets go with a hunter or a warlock..

3) Your "start in area" will automatically be determined by the race you pick. Personally, I think dwarfs and gnomes have the easiest starting place since it's right near ironforge.. but it's all up to debate.
Old 08-15-05, 09:25 AM

When I did the trial, I was on the Suramar(?) server and I was always able to get on without a queue. There were a lot of pretty helpful people and newbie types on there, too.

I had a fun time with my Night Elf Rogue, and my Undead Warlock (though I didn't get to use that character much).
Old 08-15-05, 09:32 AM

My favorite starting area is for the Undead. The atmosphere there is just so damn cool.
Old 08-15-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
If you start an alliance guy on the Draenor server, try to send a message to me (lucite) and i'll send you some money. 50 silver can really help out when you're < level 10.
I like the human starting area (elwynn forest) the best because i know where all the stuff is from doing the quest with so many alts. I also like going to westfall and loch modan next, both those places are great. I hate the elf land, too much purple, too many hills and too many trees blocking where you want to go. Also Darnassus is my least favorite city lay out (on the alliance side).

This weekend end i got my enchanting and tailoring up. I can not make Enchanted Thorium Bars and Enchanted leather, which both are good for making money on the AH. Not as good as mooncloth but still pretty nice. I also made a good amount of money dicking around IF and making portals for people. one level 60 gave 2 gold to port him from IF to SW. I'm trying to get lots of BG time in now that i'm at the top of the level 41-50 range (i'm level 50) but twice have been in the "8-20 minute queue" for over 2 hours before giving up. I'm a mage and i'm making a brightcloth armor set so i'll have higher shadow and frost resistance. i'll have to see if it does any good.
Old 08-15-05, 03:35 PM

Where did you get a WoW 14 day trial?
Old 08-15-05, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MrMeJW
Where did you get a WoW 14 day trial?
September issue of PC gamer.
Old 08-15-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

it seems like you can only do 2 professions at a time... but can you alternate which 2? so if you are an engineer and blacksmith, can you switch to blacksmith and herbalist get your herbalism up and then go back to engineer and blacksmith?
Old 08-15-05, 05:43 PM

If you drop a profession, your skill goes back to 0.

Fishing, Cooking, and First Aid don't go against your profession count.

By the way, there is a TON of good information on the main site that will answer a lot of questions.
Old 08-15-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Groucho
This is actually something I wrote to blizzard about. Just because you stop doing something for a while doesn't mean you totally forget how to do it, right? So I suggested that they have profession "retrainers" in the game. So, if you want to take up tailoring again you can go to the normal trainers and start over at 0, or you can go to a "Retrainer" and you can resume where you left off. The catch? I would put the retrainers in the most remote corners of the game so that travelling to them would take considerable time - as a penalty for switching.
Old 08-15-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod
This is actually something I wrote to blizzard about. Just because you stop doing something for a while doesn't mean you totally forget how to do it, right? So I suggested that they have profession "retrainers" in the game. So, if you want to take up tailoring again you can go to the normal trainers and start over at 0, or you can go to a "Retrainer" and you can resume where you left off. The catch? I would put the retrainers in the most remote corners of the game so that travelling to them would take considerable time - as a penalty for switching.
Hmmm I think a regressive system might work, where you would lose skill eventually if you drop it, very slowly of course. Then again I say just make it easy, and let people switch around at their leisure without losing any skill.
Old 08-15-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts
If they did that, you could dominate all the skills and there'd be no market for products.

If I was an engineer, miner, tailor, blacksmith then I wouldn't need ore or bars or armor or bags etc. which would make you (if you were say a miner and sold the stuff at the AH) very unhappy.
Old 08-15-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho

Fishing, Cooking, and First Aid don't go against your profession count.

By the way, there is a TON of good information on the main site that will answer a lot of questions.

thanks groucho and everyone else... honestly i'm a little overwhelmed by all that material on that site.. i don't know where to start