Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

does anyone still go to arcades?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-12-05, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best arcades are in gameworks or dave'nbusters. everywhere else is dead. anyone miss the arcade scene back in the days?
Old 08-12-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GameWorks and Dave n Busters suck in my opinion unless your favorite arcade game is Daytona USA. Though the fully stocked bars are hot. There was an arcade in the Dallas area (still kind of is, but too far for me to frequent) that rocked so hard. They specialized in Neo Geo and REAL arcade games. I rocked my Twinkle Star Sprites skills at the arcade throwing down any who would challenge, played Dungeons & Dragons Shadow Over Mysteria all the time. PLANET HARRIERS. Watched the INSANE Capcom vs. SNK 2 tournaments, rocked some Bobmerman, some delicious shooters such as Dimahoo, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, Gun Bird 2, 1944 Loop Master. Oh man. *tears up*
Old 08-12-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot to mention the arcades in Vancouver when I was in Canada. Total old school stuff much like the above arcade with full beer service, signs outside stating "No Children Allowed." I played some beautiful games there most notable was Bubble Symphony the insanely awesome sequel to Bubble Bobble. Old school. Loved it.

Speaking of old school arcades, there's an arcade auction tomorrow morning in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area which rules. You get to spend the first couple of hours playing all the games and most of them are old school hotness, along with the occasional surprise. Last time we went there was this bad ass game called "Dolphin Blue" that was essentially "Metal Slug" jacked up on steroids (and finally off of 16-bit hardware). Awesome game.
Old 08-12-05, 03:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They have nickel arcades around here where you can play old old games. It's pretty cool, but I haven't been for years.
Old 08-12-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
GameWorks and Dave n Busters suck in my opinion unless your favorite arcade game is Daytona USA. Though the fully stocked bars are hot. There was an arcade in the Dallas area (still kind of is, but too far for me to frequent) that rocked so hard. They specialized in Neo Geo and REAL arcade games. I rocked my Twinkle Star Sprites skills at the arcade throwing down any who would challenge, played Dungeons & Dragons Shadow Over Mysteria all the time. PLANET HARRIERS. Watched the INSANE Capcom vs. SNK 2 tournaments, rocked some Bobmerman, some delicious shooters such as Dimahoo, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, Gun Bird 2, 1944 Loop Master. Oh man. *tears up*

is it still any good? i'm going to be in Dallas for a week and will need some stuff to do to kill time
Old 08-12-05, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Speaking of old school arcades, there's an arcade auction tomorrow morning in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area which rules. You get to spend the first couple of hours playing all the games and most of them are old school hotness, along with the occasional surprise. Last time we went there was this bad ass game called "Dolphin Blue" that was essentially "Metal Slug" jacked up on steroids (and finally off of 16-bit hardware). Awesome game.
Who/What/When/How?

And where's the Arcade you mentioned in your previous post. Are you old enough to have enjoyed Alladin's Castle at Red Bird Mall? Now THAT was an Arcade.

There's an "arcade" at Irving Mall, but it's mostly fighters and music games. Worth spending a couple of bucks now and then.
Old 08-12-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
There's an arcade in old-town Fullerton here in Orange County, adjacent to a coffee-shop that has only old-school arcade games. It's '80s retro-chic, and has games from 1980 - 1988, or so. They play '80s music and have silly '80s posters up. It's kinda cool to sneak into when you go to the coffee shop to check out a band or something.
Old 08-12-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mexican Menace
Who/What/When/How?
Tomorrow morning in Mesquite. Giant warehouse with aisles of arcade games.
You have to get there between 8am-10ma for the free play session. Here's a map:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...homesubmit.y=0

I was talking about the Irving Mall arcade, they were SO much better when they were in North Dallas, I actually haven't been there in a long time. I think the last time I went there I was trying to check if a couple of arcade boards I had would work in his cabinets.
Old 08-12-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
is it still any good? i'm going to be in Dallas for a week and will need some stuff to do to kill time
Probably still worth checking out if you're not too far from Irving.
Old 08-12-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We've got a free arcade at work. The lobby's got a few fighters (Mortal Kombat II, Guilty Gear 2, SF: The Movie), a Neo Geo /w a couple games on it that get rotated (Metal Slug X, Strikers 19XX, Samurai Showdown, and a couple others), NFL Blitz/NBA on NBC, Sega Tennis, and quite a few more. In the employee breakroom, we've got a SF III: Third Strike machine that's in constant use, as well as a Disks of Tron, and a cabinet that we can put a console (Dreamcast/Gamecube) and run whatever on.
Old 08-12-05, 05:53 PM

We've got a free arcade at work. The lobby's got a few fighters (Mortal Kombat II, Guilty Gear 2, SF: The Movie), a Neo Geo /w a couple games on it that get rotated (Metal Slug X, Strikers 19XX, Samurai Showdown, and a couple others), NFL Blitz/NBA on NBC, Sega Tennis, and quite a few more. In the employee breakroom, we've got a SF III: Third Strike machine that's in constant use, as well as a Disks of Tron, and a cabinet that we can put a console (Dreamcast/Gamecube) and run whatever on.

Do you work for a game company or something?
Old 08-12-05, 05:54 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts
I went to a Korean Arcade while I was in L.A. a few weeks ago.

They had this crazy game where you were babies competing in all sorts of weird track-and-field-esque events.

... and they had the recquired "DDR" game.
Old 08-12-05, 05:59 PM

is killer instinct still in arcades anywhere? i've seen the original sf2 in dnb.
Old 08-12-05, 06:08 PM
Cool New Member

Goldberg - where in Korean town was the arcade? I wanna check that out.
Old 08-12-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by deadpool24
Do you work for a game company or something?
I work at Full Sail, which is a school that has a bachelor's in Game Design & Development. I'm one of the teachers in the game program, teaching C++.
Old 08-12-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My favorite arcade is Arcade Infinity in Rowland Heights, Ca. They have every single hot fighting game there, a HUGE SFIII 3rd Strike set up, and even tons of Japanese Imports. For a long time they even had Ikaruga! The latest game i've enjoying there right now is a Shooter that's almost like a 1-on-1 arena fighter (much like Virtual On).
Old 08-12-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
They had this crazy game where you were babies competing in all sorts of weird track-and-field-esque events.
One of the local Cinemark's has that in the lobby. Weird stuff. That's pretty much the only time I play arcades anymore, is in the lobby of theaters when I'm waiting for a movie to start.
Old 08-13-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last time I was down in Orlando, I went to DisneyQuest at Downtown Disney. 5 stories - old and new arcade games plus some virtual reality stuff. Basically just pay a $30 entrance fee and you can play all you want all day long.

Pretty cool place, and I imagine it's pretty hard to beat...but I have to admit, I only lasted about two hours before I left. Just can't get much interest from arcade games anymore. Spent most of my time playing in the pinball area. Still love pinball.
Old 08-13-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Scandia in Rohnert Park, California fufills my fighting game need when I am up north. The place is a family fun center type of place, with all your regular things expected from a place like that, such as minature golf, batting cages and so on. Their arcade is actually not to shabby. It's a mix of old games and newer more expensive games such as DDR, Intial D and so on. They have stuff Sunset Riders, a Street Fighter Anniversary cabinet, Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 and 2, and SNK machine with Twinkle Star Sprites, X-Men Children of the Atom, and much more. Lots of good stuff

Though I don't go there often, the Metreon in San Francisco houses an arcade I go to now and then. They are a bit overpriced, and you have to spend 5 dollars minimum to get one of those card things they make you get at Dave and Busters/Gameworks. I only go there to play Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, and a couple of other Capcom and SNK games.

There is a place nearby called Starbase, that I have heard good things about, but I have yet to visit.
Old 08-13-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by deadpool24
the best arcades are in gameworks or dave'nbusters. everywhere else is dead. anyone miss the arcade scene back in the days?
I stopped going years ago but I used to go all the time.

Today you cannot find a pinball machine. All the video games are some type of shooter or fighter and what is left is skeeball for tickets.

I remember wasting hours in real arcades!
Old 08-13-05, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by EazyIan
Goldberg - where in Korean town was the arcade? I wanna check that out.
I was staying at the Raddison Whilshire (corner of Wilshire and Normandie) downtown, and we went to eat at a little restaurant and the arcade was in that same "strip mall" area... about two blocks east of the hotel on Wilshire (northeast corner).

The restaurant we went to had a great pork cutlet for $8.
Old 08-13-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still dream of the arcade in Tron. Every time I watch that movie I wish I could be in there with a pocket full of quarters...
Old 08-13-05, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
I still dream of the arcade in Tron. Every time I watch that movie I wish I could be in there with a pocket full of quarters...
As a teen, my brother got a Tron arcade machine, the tank game, for $20 from a second hand store. We kept in the garage. It only worked for about a year, then it died.
Old 08-13-05, 01:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Well, to be honest here in PR, the only arcade that gets a lot of credit for being good is the one and only: Time Out. I think that's OK and some games are good, my fav. is this one (can't remember the name) something about wings of steal or something like that, anyway, but it's like a cockpit and you go on missions....it's pretty good. But there's this one machine that has the Classic PAC-MAN. I LOVE that game, but I never make the Score Board.
Old 08-13-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the problem for arcades is that other than the oddball machines like those ski simulators, arcade machines don't have anything people don't have on their home consoles.

I still haven't been to Gameworks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.