Reload this Page >

Will I Ever Get High Def Television?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-12-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This really bums me out. I moved a little over a year and a half ago. When I moved, I bought a big ass Sony Grand Wega TV in anticipation of finally getting HD service. My old house had HD service but I didn't have an HDTV.

I move to the next town over and have the same cable company. After I move, I find out HD isn't offered on that network.

I could get satellite but from what I can see their offerings are totally lame. 5 channels? (I know you can get more but I want what cable offers.) The cable company offers ALL of the network affiliates in HD. They offer the local Comcast Sports channel in HD. Their package is so far superior to satellite, it doesn't make sense to bother with sat. (All their channels are free too with the rental of the box - $10)

Anyway, my point is that I'm waiting close to two years for the local company to offer me HD. Does anyone know what needs to be done to a network to enable HD programming? I get high speed internet - you would think that would be all thats required.
Old 08-12-05, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your locals have hd feed's on one carrier but not another then you should be able to pick them up with a antenna, have you tried that route yet?
Old 08-12-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
You can at least go OTA. I assume that since you have a Grand Wega (which is what I have), you have a built-in HD tuner.
Old 08-12-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joels1017
if your locals have hd feed's on one carrier but not another then you should be able to pick them up with a antenna, have you tried that route yet?
If you mean an antenna, I don't think I'd be able to get them. I live 70 miles from Philadelphia and 70 miles from New York. Too far for either.

I only tried one of those set top antennas.
Old 08-12-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
You can at least go OTA. I assume that since you have a Grand Wega (which is what I have), you have a built-in HD tuner.
Correct. But I live too damn far to get a signal.

I'm afraid if I go through the hassle of mounting an antenna on the roof, it won't work anyway.
Old 08-12-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're pretty much SOL until your cable company decides to offer HD. DirecTV will be offering local HD channels in 2006 depending on what market you fall in. Not sure what Dish has planned.
Old 08-12-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

I live over 50 miles from Baltimore and get great digital signals from there.
Old 08-13-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I live over 50 miles from Baltimore and get great digital signals from there.
Where is your antenna? I suppose if I can get an antenna on my roof, I may be able to get something. I may have better luck with New York since there are mountains to my south.
Old 08-13-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114
Where is your antenna? I suppose if I can get an antenna on my roof, I may be able to get something. I may have better luck with New York since there are mountains to my south.

Well I am in a high rise and use an indoor antenna (which surprisingly works with high rises around me), but I know there are people in houses in the Northern VA areas (further out than I am) that use rooftop antennas to get Baltimore HDs.

You should go to the AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception subforum and find people in your area to see if they have been able to draw NY, Philly, or Scranton signals. Heck, you might be in a great area where you can get all 3.