Reload this Page >

Anime recommendations please

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-11-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put this here instead of DVD recommendations because I'm looking overall, even if it isn't on DVD, but I can catch it on TV or see it otherwise. I really like Ranma 1/2, and Cowboy Bebop. I've caught a few episode of Fullmetal Alchemist on Toonami so I'm gonna go after that next. And I've seen a few episode of Naruto that I really liked (great to hear it is coming to Cartoon Network in September). I'm also a big fan of the Miyaziki films. They are excellent. And I'm not sure if it is anime or not but I liked Ronin Warriors, too. The only anime I know I didn't like was Sailor Moon. That thing irked me. And Dragonball gotta really tiresome after a while as well.

Any recommendations (DVD, TV, etc) would be greatly appreciated. Is there an anime tv channel I can check out, also?
Old 08-11-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is an Anime network, but I don't think its very widely carried.
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/
Old 08-11-05, 10:00 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Full Metal Alchemist is really good. I'm not a big anime guy, but my favorite of all time is FLCL which they also run on Adult Swim some. There's only 6 episodes of FLCL and the final episode is on this Saturday and the first episode is going to be on next Saturday. Be prepared for soemthing really weird, but I think it's great.
Old 08-11-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
You might want to check out Samurai Champloo,from the same guy who made Cowboy Bebop.I know it was playing on Cartoon Network,but i'm not sure if it still is.
Old 08-11-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah great show, cartoon network i assume edits the violence some?
Old 08-12-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Most likely.That's why i am just waiting until the DVD's are finished being released to watch.
Old 08-12-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you like Cowboy Bebop, you might want to check out Outlaw Star or Trigun. Another anime similar to Ranma 1/2 is Love Hina and Oh My Goddess. Love Hina is one of my all time favorite anime. If you like robots, check out Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Old 08-12-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Evangelion's coming to Cartoon Network soon as well. If you like robots (you don't indicate that you do, but anyway), Gundam Seed is also an excellent choice, though I've never watched the edited broadcast. Champloo is great, and for something a little different I'd recommend Paranoia Agent, which I think is still on CN, but that one you should try to catch from the beginning. I also like One Piece and Shaman King, the latter of which is ending in a few episodes. And Naruto's gonna be great.

There is also a monthly anime post in the retail forum, where you might want to ask for some recommendations and/or cheap sets.
Old 08-12-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've seen the monthly posts you speak of fujishig, I'm just not in a place where I can blind buy anime sets. Especially when I see their prices are usually rather high. Thanks for all the recommendations I'll be sure to check out as many of them as I can for sure.
Old 08-12-05, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Very rarely does Cartoon Network edit violence anymore for shows on Adult Swim. Their edits mostly center around language and nudity now. Samurai Champloo has only had a few very small edits involving language and nudity.

Last edited by tf50515; 08-12-05 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-12-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tf50515
Very rarely does Cartoon Network edit violence anymore for shows on Adult Swim. Their edits mostly center around language and nudity now. Samurai Champloo has only had a few very small edits involving language and nudity.

Out of curiosity,are they still airing Samurai Champloo?
Old 08-12-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I personally enjoyed Full Metal Panic better than Evangelion. I'll admit Evangelion was 'deeper' and all, but I 'liked' FMP better.
Old 08-12-05, 04:25 PM
Cool New Member

Berserk! Anime is not without its faults, but it gets better and better as it comes along. It is very serious, dramatic, very dark, with great characterization. And if you like the anime, you might read manga, which is just excellent, with great art. Definitely not for weak hearted, though.

The high point of "girly" genre is "Utena". NOt exactly my cup of tea, but they really proved that you can make anime with pink haired girls and not end up with "Sailor Moon". Very original, dream-like atmosphere, surrealism, they challenged gender stereotypes and had some interesting things to say.

Add my vote for Evangelion. Nothing beats Berserk the manga for me though, but those are apples and oranges - each show is great in its own right.
Old 08-12-05, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Out of curiosity,are they still airing Samurai Champloo?
Yeah, it still airs. But Cartoon Network only has the first 12 episodes (out of 26 eps.). They've started to repeat those already with ep.#2 reairing this Saturday at 11:30 p.m. The rest of the episodes (#13-26) will start premiering in November.

Last edited by tf50515; 08-12-05 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-12-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I highly recommend Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, the 26-episode TV series spinoff of the "Ghost in the Shell" movie.
Old 08-12-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any Gundam shows are great. Check out Gundam Seed for the newest show.
Old 08-14-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got finished watching Read Or Die (the movie -OVA) and R.O.D. The TV and give them my highest recommendation. This show has some really good dramatic stuff and heart. Just really fantastic. The cast is comprised of mostly women, but I don't the the show is girly at all, it's kind of like Buffy in that way. This was coming on G4, but I'm not sure if it does any more.

Trigun is also fried gold.

I feel you on not being able to afford to buy anime. Even on the shows I really enjoy, the price can scare me away from owning something I really want to. Like thr Trigun boxset was going for $170 a few years ago. The R.O.D tv discs go for $20 plus a volume for 6 or 7 volumes. That adds up real quick. If you're curious to try some anime definately go with Netflix. They carry pretty much everything. That's how I sample anime when I'm in the mood.
Old 08-14-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What anime comes on G4? Whenever I check the listings for it it only says Anime Unleashed. Never really sure if it is something I want to watch or not.
Old 08-14-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
That's one annoying thing of how they play it--it's all under the 'show name' of Anime Unleashed. If you have a cable/sat box that has an EPG, sometimes it will have the name of the program or a description in the Info field.

And I agree with NF or BBO. Anime, while cheaper than it used to be for more variety/choice, is still an expensive interest, and some titles have dozens of disks. Probably 2/3 of my recent rentals have been anime; I can try a title, send it back if i dont like it, and if I like it, watch the whole thing--I'm not likely to rewatch a 20-40+ episode series, so I only buy anime if I'm really into it or if it's a really good price.
Old 08-14-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately, most of the greatest anime I've watched has never made it over to the US, at least not officially. But I'm not sure if I can post links to fansubs, even if they're not licensed in the US (some series I'd recommend in that format would be Air and Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~, both of which are wonderful)

As for stuff out in the US, and seeing what you like, I'd probably recommend Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo (not a fan of it myself, but if you like stuff like Naruto you'll like it), Evangelion (maybe a bit overrated, but still a classic). Also, although it really doesn't match up with anything on your list, I'd still like to recommend my all-time favourite, Azumanga Daioh. One of the best comedy animes you'll ever see.

And although they're both good series, I would not recommend the US versions of One Piece or Shaman King. The stories of both are completely killed in the localization edits and dubs that 4Kids does for the series.

Full Metal Panic is another good one... and once you watch that, go out and get Full Metal Panic :Fuumofuu, which is one helluva different take on the series. Plus Full Metal Panic : The Second Raid is currently airing in Japan, and probably will eventually make it over here.
Old 08-14-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got back from Borders and they had a lot of the Anime discussed here in manga. Read part of Shaman King and FLCL both look very promising. I also read something called Getbackers (I passed it and thought they had the coolest hair), and thought it was okay. Is there an anime for it? Anyone got opinions?
Old 08-15-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Just got back from Borders and they had a lot of the Anime discussed here in manga. Read part of Shaman King and FLCL both look very promising. I also read something called Getbackers (I passed it and thought they had the coolest hair), and thought it was okay. Is there an anime for it? Anyone got opinions?
IMHO, the manga is almost always better than the anime, if the manga is the original source. Although there is some censorship in Shaman King and One Piece manga, it's still much less than the TV airings.

And there is a Getbackers anime... I have the first four disks, but haven't got around to watching it. From all accounts, though, it's pretty good... a couple of volumes (2 and 3, I think) were on sale at BB for 11 bucks or so.
Old 08-17-05, 03:19 AM

anime

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
I put this here instead of DVD recommendations because I'm looking overall, even if it isn't on DVD, but I can catch it on TV or see it otherwise. I really like Ranma 1/2, and Cowboy Bebop. I've caught a few episode of Fullmetal Alchemist on Toonami so I'm gonna go after that next. And I've seen a few episode of Naruto that I really liked (great to hear it is coming to Cartoon Network in September). I'm also a big fan of the Miyaziki films. They are excellent. And I'm not sure if it is anime or not but I liked Ronin Warriors, too. The only anime I know I didn't like was Sailor Moon. That thing irked me. And Dragonball gotta really tiresome after a while as well.

Any recommendations (DVD, TV, etc) would be greatly appreciated. Is there an anime tv channel I can check out, also?
the best i've seen is "robotec" i hope they put it on, my son had it, and i feel in love with it. i agree i got sick of dragonball, but inuyasha is good
Old 08-17-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's another q: What are some good English dubs? I know these are frowned upon, but sometimes - not usually - I prefer them. I like the dubs for Cowboy Bebop and Lupin III as well as the one from Princess Mononoke. For most everything else I like the original language with English subs.

The reason I bring it up is because when I started watching Full Metal Alchemist on Cartoon Network it was dubber, but the ones my friend had were English subbed, and it was hard to get used to.
Old 08-17-05, 02:41 PM

Good Dubs for television series (My opinion only):

Last Exile
R.O.D. TV
.hack//SIGN
Big O I & II
RahXephon
Cowboy Bebop

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.