DVD Talk
Have iPod, but no administrator rights to the PC. Any ideas? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Have iPod, but no administrator rights to the PC. Any ideas?

Y2K Falcon
08-11-05, 12:03 PM
Say I'm at work, and a new podcast becomes available that is probably sitting at home in iTunes waiting for me to synch. But I want to hear it sooner than that. I have no admin rights on this box, so I can't install iTunes (or anything else).

I could download the mp3 locally and listen to it off the PC, but the couple times I've tried it, it chokes on long files. Don't know why.

Plus without an extension cord, I have to really slouch to reach the headphone jack. :lol:

I'm not worried about the download bandwidth. Many in the office just stream internet audio all day long. -eek-

What are my options to get this file to my iPod (assuming I have my cable with me)?

What will happen when I resynch next time at home? Will it matter if the file is already part of my iTunes library or not?

Otto
08-11-05, 01:53 PM
What are my options to get this file to my iPod (assuming I have my cable with me)?
Try foobar2000 with foo_pod or a program called "YamiPod". Google for it. You'll need to download the MP3 manually and use some program to put it on the iPod in a way that the iPod can play it.

What will happen when I resynch next time at home?
It'll be removed from the iPod.

Will it matter if the file is already part of my iTunes library or not?
Nope. It'll be removed from the iPod and the file from your home system will be copied to the iPod instead. Even if the files are identical, this will still happen.