Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Pelican Pro System Selector

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-10-05, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone using this? It's a stereo-system form factor component selector with multiple component/S-Video/Optical audio/network connections.

http://www.pelicanacc.com/, better pics at NewEgg. I saw it at Fry's last night and it's almost exactly what I've been wanting. I just wanted a major electronics player like Sony to put this out instead of a 3rd party company like Pelican. I picked a set of thier multi-console cables that were just trash picture-wise.

I've already got an Xbox, Gamecube and Dreamcast hooked up to my receiver along with the rest of my stereo components. Once the Xbox360 hits, I'll need more inputs and I don't really want to buy another receiver.

If anyone's picked this up, how's the quality?
Old 08-10-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Other companies do make selectors like this, but they are much more expensive than this, and usually have less inputs. They're usually not made for gaming, but for switching between DVD players and audio equipment, etc.

My main complaint about this one, besides the poor plastic quality, is the lack of a remote. Otherwise, it does a decent job of switching component inputs and optical audio. The ethernet support is not like a switch, so if you switch off of your Xbox while it's still on, your Xbox live connection will break.

I don't have HDTV, though, and I've heard that it doesn't pass a progressive signal all that cleanly. I've seen other forums where they give numbers, but as it doesn't affect me (yet) I haven't bothered. If you have multiple outputs on your reciever anyway, though, you can just put the next gen stuff through your reciever and all your legacy stuff through this.
Old 08-10-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you could build one for youself out of good studio quality parts if you know what you're doing
Old 08-10-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have this and it works really well. I have 6 systems plus the satelite hooked to this and then all to the tv. It's very convientent. It's all s-video though; I do not have the HD pack for the xbox and the digital sound for the xbox goes straight to the receiver.
For stereo and s-video or lower this is a good investment.

My only gripe is the lack of remote. Also check walmart, I saw it there for 75 i believe.
Old 08-10-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts
The new Pelican Selector has a remote.
Old 08-10-05, 04:10 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the plain cheap one with just s-video and component plugs for a while and it has always worked fine.

Never a single problem and I notice no degredation in picture quality using the s-video.

So on that, I'd imagine the more expensive ones work fine as well.
Old 08-10-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
I know there's a pelican selecter with a remote, but I thought it was a smaller one, that didn't do as much... do they have a "pro" model with a remote?

BTW, I wouldn't go by how well built the multi-console cables are. I also have one and it stinks. These are much more reliable (I also have the s-video only 4 port pelican, and that works fine too)
Old 08-10-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Back around the end of May, I bought a black model at Best Buy. It did not contain a remote, and one of the component inputs only outputted B&W. Other than that, I was fairly happy with it, but I knew that I would regret keeping it with the B&W output.

So at the end of June, I returned the black model to Best Buy for an exchange. The only ones they had left were the silver models, and I noticed a sticker on the box that said "now includes remote control!" or something. Other than the sticker, there was nothing on the box to indicate that the unit had a remote, and even though the colors were different, the boxes had the exact same UPC.

No problems exchanging it. The new model works just fine, and it did indeed have a tiny, credit-card-style remote in the package.
Old 08-10-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Virex
Back around the end of May, I bought a black model at Best Buy. It did not contain a remote, and one of the component inputs only outputted B&W. Other than that, I was fairly happy with it, but I knew that I would regret keeping it with the B&W output.

So at the end of June, I returned the black model to Best Buy for an exchange. The only ones they had left were the silver models, and I noticed a sticker on the box that said "now includes remote control!" or something. Other than the sticker, there was nothing on the box to indicate that the unit had a remote, and even though the colors were different, the boxes had the exact same UPC.

No problems exchanging it. The new model works just fine, and it did indeed have a tiny, credit-card-style remote in the package.
A remote now?? I wonder if I can exchange my year old one for that one?
Old 08-10-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The sticker on the box--this is what you want to look for if you're looking for them at a B & M:

The remote itself:

The IR sensor on the switchbox (which is not seen on the pictures of the unit on the packaging):

This probably seems like overkill, but there was so little information on the 'net when I was researching, that maybe this can help someone else. And since the black and silver units share the same model number (PL-960) and UPC, it's even more confusing.