Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Problems with Battlefield 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problems with Battlefield 2

I'm sure this could have gone in the Battlefield 2 thread but what the hell. I got a new pc and installed windows the next thing I did was install BF2. I also installed the latest patch before playing the game. Still it crashes at least once every 30 min. Sometimes to the desktop other times it turns off my computer. Sometimes it says "cannot connect to server" other times it freezes up in the lobby.
Now the newest thing is the mouse doesn't work during the game. In the lobby it works. During loading it works. But then when the screen comes up to pick your soldier type the mouse doesn't move. Just stays in the middle of the screen. I reinstalled the game and it does the same thing. Maybe 1 out of 3 times it will work fine.
So what do I need to do to get this crappy game working? Wait for the 3rd patch and hope it fixes it? It's installed on all new hardware. A new windows install. And I've reinstalled it once. I have no trouble playing any other game. Anyone else having these problems?

Specs

Athlon 64 3000
x800
1 gig crucial ram
80 gig maxtor
XP
Old 08-10-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
I'm sure this could have gone in the Battlefield 2 thread but what the hell. I got a new pc and installed windows the next thing I did was install BF2. I also installed the latest patch before playing the game. Still it crashes at least once every 30 min. Sometimes to the desktop other times it turns off my computer. Sometimes it says "cannot connect to server" other times it freezes up in the lobby.
Now the newest thing is the mouse doesn't work during the game. In the lobby it works. During loading it works. But then when the screen comes up to pick your soldier type the mouse doesn't move. Just stays in the middle of the screen. I reinstalled the game and it does the same thing. Maybe 1 out of 3 times it will work fine.
So what do I need to do to get this crappy game working? Wait for the 3rd patch and hope it fixes it? It's installed on all new hardware. A new windows install. And I've reinstalled it once. I have no trouble playing any other game. Anyone else having these problems?

Specs

Athlon 64 3000
x800
1 gig crucial ram
80 gig maxtor
XP
what type of cooling are you running? and are you OCing? for one your x800 is going to run HOT! for two if you're one of the people who bought the 30 dollar case with the psu in it and it has 1 fan. JUST STOP IT and buy a real PSU! beside that go into your bios check your voltages if they're jumping around well again BUY A REAL PSU. if you do have a good psu, i would place it on either heat or too small of a PSU. why don't you do this start menu, run, dxdiag. use that to get more info and test your stuff. oh also make sure you've got all the windows updates from microsoft.
Old 08-10-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower

Specs

Athlon 64 3000
x800
1 gig crucial ram
80 gig maxtor
XP

okay I agree with beandip on this one you have a way more powerful system than me and I have zero problems running this game two things man your system needs power and it needs to breath. Once you accomplish these start spreading the word "Don't skimp on cases and PSUs"

Old 08-10-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a $100 cheiftec case. 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans. Stock AMD cooler. Wiring is perfect. Plenty of airflow in the case. Processor temps never above 30c after playing the game. I have an 400w Antec Smartpower. Not a "cheap" PSU.
Old 08-10-05, 05:29 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Have you installed the latest ATI driver?

http://www.ati.com/
Old 08-10-05, 06:01 PM

As well as all the windows patches.....also regular login problems I have them too, just keep logging in, it will work after 2 or so tries. What is your internet connection?
Old 08-10-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is a PSU?
Old 08-10-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
What is a PSU?

Power Supply Unit
Old 08-10-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flay
Have you installed the latest ATI driver?

http://www.ati.com/

No. Just what was on the disk that came with the card. I just installed the newest drivers. We'll see how that goes.
Old 08-10-05, 06:22 PM

What is a PSU?
xmiyux you're so funny sometimes

oh hell I didn't think about the updated drivers because that card is still really new, that's a pretty good bet. Also you should really think about getting a nice copper heatsink for your CPU (that's Central Processing Unit for you xmiyux ) those 64s are known to run hot as fuck.
Old 08-10-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
oh hell I didn't think about the updated drivers because that card is still really new, that's a pretty good bet. Also you should really think about getting a nice copper heatsink for your CPU (that's Central Processing Unit for you xmiyux ) those 64s are known to run hot as fuck.
I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (90 nm), and I rarely go above 40. That's not what I'd consider hot, and from what I understand, AMDs are much more energy efficient than Intels.
Old 08-11-05, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CPU (that's Central Processing Unit for you xmiyux )
Sheesh, i knew what a CPU is.... i mean i've seen Tron.
Old 08-11-05, 12:56 PM

Nice so anyhow did you get your shit working Mopower??
Old 08-11-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice so anyhow did you get your shit working Mopower??
No. Installed newest drivers and the mouse still freezes. I'm going to try to swap out my dvd burner. The burning part of it went bad but it still read fine. Well until now. I don't think BF2 uses the DVD disc until the game starts. So that might be it.
Old 08-11-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh one more thing, if you haven't done so already, but you sound like you probably already did. make sure your MOBO BIOS is the latest, also make sure the AMD cool n quite is OFF and your apture size is set correct. And if your MOBO has the automatic OCing turn it OFF and back to normal.

my asus 64bit board didn't like my x800xt till i updated the bios, and it was doing all the weirdness you describe. also if i have that AI overclock thing turned on it does the weirdness also. it will play and then stop to the desktop and freeze. so i turned it off and have the most current BIOS and wham!!! everything on high with 4x AA works great NOOOOO problems!

oh yeah make sure you've got the CAT 5.7 with OD off until you get things worked out, also if you use ATI tray tools, you can monitor your cards temp, it may be getting a little to hot. the 800s are known to run a bit on the warm side.

Last edited by BeanDip0001; 08-11-05 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-11-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seeing as some us here are confused (xmiyux) I’ve put a little list together for the confused among us (xmiyux)

• MOBO=motherboard
• CPU=central processing unit
• RAM=random access memory
• DVDRW=digital video disc rewritable
• X800=a bad ass video card
• HDD=hard disk drive
• BIOS=basic input output system
• CMOS=complimentary metal oxide system
• BF2=battlefield 2
• LED=light emitting diode
• AGP=accelerated graphics port
• FDD=floppy disk drive

Last edited by BeanDip0001; 08-11-05 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-12-05, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
Seeing as some us here are confused (xmiyux) I’ve put a little list together for the confused among us (xmiyux)

• MOBO=motherboard
• CPU=central processing unit
• RAM=random access memory
• DVDRW=digital video disc rewritable
• X800=a bad ass video card
• HDD=hard disk drive
• BIOS=basic input output system
• CMOS=complimentary metal oxide system
• BF2=battlefield 2
• LED=light emitting diode
• AGP=accelerated graphics port
• FDD=floppy disk drive

LMAO
Old 08-12-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LMAO
Just wanted to make sure we didn’t loose you buddy!

• LMAO=laughing my ass off
Old 08-20-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Then you're doing good because my Athlon 64 4000+ hovers around 31-32 degrees celsius, even at idle.

Last edited by Terrell; 08-20-05 at 09:59 PM.