Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Fiona Apple : "Extraordinary Machine" news / reviews / discussion [merged]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Fiona Apple : "Extraordinary Machine" news / reviews / discussion [merged]

Old 09-19-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad, Bad Fiona Apple News...

from fionahaswings.com [since her offical site has NO current info..]

Album release pushed back, New York Times article

It's safe to say that Fiona's third album will not be released until 2004.

A delay was first reported by Women Who Rock in their July/August issue, projecting the new date to be sometime in January.

Now, the New York Times has published a new article on Jon Brion, in which the reported release is February 2004. The good news is that Jon talks a little about the new album, and Fiona is interviewed as well. There is a new song called "Oh Well," and the article also implies that the third album, like its two predecessors, will have 10 songs.

New York Times: Lost in the Music

Though it's better to read the article as a whole, I will quote some of the sections relating to Fiona and her songs:

It's 1 p.m., and Jon Brion is still in his pajamas and slippers. For the past three months, Brion, Tom Biller, an engineer, and the singer Fiona Apple have been living at the Paramour. Right now, Brion is noodling at a Casio keyboard, playing along to a mix of Apple's ''Oh Well.'' ''I cried the first time I heard her play this,'' Brion says. ''We were at Ocean Way, Sinatra's old studio, and I just put my head down on the table and cried.''

Apple contemplated never recording another album. Then, in the spring of 2002, Brion and Apple met for their weekly lunch. Brion had recently been ejected from a five-year relationship with the comedian Mary Lynn Rajskub. Making matters worse, the breakup occurred while he was scoring Paul Thomas Anderson's ''Punch-Drunk Love.'' Rajskub had a large role in the film, and Brion spent hours watching his ex on celluloid. Now finished with the score, he was at loose ends.

''Please, please make another album,'' Brion begged Apple. ''I need work that can save me.''

Apple agreed, and Brion went to Apple's label, Sony Music, with strict stipulations. There would be no deadline. If a Sony rep wanted to check on progress, he would have to fly to Los Angeles. Brion requested renting a wing of the Paramour rather than recording at a conventional studio. The label agreed.

At the Paramour, the days effortlessly merge like the unchanging Southern California weather. Nine months after Apple played the first five songs for Brion, the album is maybe half-done. In the morning, Brion draws or works on his own songs. In the afternoon, he fiddles with backing tracks. Maybe around midnight, Apple will appear in sweats and bunny-rabbit slippers and record vocals for an hour.

''Jon's put in hundreds of more hours,'' Apple said one sunny afternoon on the lawn. ''If I could, I'd release this as a Jon Brion-Fiona Apple record. I keep borrowing his socks. He thinks it's because I don't have my own socks. It's because I want to be Jon Brion.''

Brion can't let go of his songs. Or the songs of his disciples. For more than a week, Brion toyed with Apple's ''Oh Well.'' He spent one night moving equipment to his study at the Paramour to record a guitar part. ''The acoustics will pick up the reverb differently,'' he explains. The next day, Brion discarded the guitar. Then he laid down another basic track with himself on drums. He wasn't happy with the result. ''It sounded like a metal ballad,'' Brion says. ''I fired myself.'' A call was placed to the legendary session drummer Jim Keltner.

''The song is missing 'it,''' Brion says. ''Right now, I don't know what 'it' is. When you find it, everyone's physiology in the room changes. 'It' is a real, ephemeral thing.''

A month later, I met up with Brion at Abbey Road Studios in London, where he was recording orchestration for Apple. He was exhausted from testing every microphone in its storied collection, cataloguing each of their shortcomings. ''If I reach a point where I want a voice to sound a little fuzzy, I'll know which microphone to use,'' Brion said.

The next day, a full orchestra arrived, with ''Oh Well'' first up. Brion had Apple do another vocal take on which she almost growled the lyrics. He asked the violinist, Eric Gorfain, to add an arrangement. After listening to a rough mix, he offered only a little criticism. ''Don't place too much activity around her voice,'' Brion said. ''There's nice tension in the second verse, but tension is activity that draws away from her voice, so we have to lose it.''

The next day, Brion led the orchestra through ''Oh Well'' for two hours. Midway through, Apple arrived. Painfully shy, she sat on the floor, covering her eyes and peeking through fingers as Brion conducted. Eyes closed, he entered a blissful state. When the music stopped, he flashed a beatific grin. ''I don't think I have ever seen a human being look happier,'' Apple said.

Later that night, Brion, trying to relax with a beer, was still frustrated with the song. ''I can't figure it out,'' he said. ''It just isn't all there. Every album has a problem child. Maybe I want it to be a lawyer, when it wants to be a painter.''

Eventually, Apple's release date was pushed back from September to February. If that date holds, it will be 20 months from the time Apple played the first songs for Brion, or roughly 60 days per song.

As an aside, I've also heard a little rumor that Fiona has done some work with Dr. Dre. (If this were to be true, I don't believe it would be rap vocals - most likely working on beats.) But you didn't hear that from me.
Old 09-20-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bummer. I was really looking forward to this album.
Old 09-20-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

> "Apple contemplated never recording another album."

Wow. That would be a shame...

I can wait, I'm sure it will be excellent.
Old 09-21-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Would anyone else be interested in a "sessions" CD of that one song? All the variations and such? I know I'd find it a fascinating music study.
Old 09-22-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why is an album delay "bad, bad ... news"? I thought she was dead or something.

That guy needs to get in some therapy
Old 09-22-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Meatpants •<HR SIZE=1>Why is an album delay "bad, bad ... news"? I thought she was dead or something.<HR SIZE=1>

Or worse ... that Maya Angelou was no longer her role model.

das
Old 09-22-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought the bad, bad news was that the Beatles were suing her in addition to Apple Computer for infinging on their trademark.
Old 10-20-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/new....asp?nid=18840

new interview.
Old 10-20-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
Thanks for the link!

I'd rather have the CD now, but February is only 3 months away.

I can't wait for it's release.
Old 08-19-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
wow. it's been close to a year since I started this thread with the ominous title. guess i'm a prophet..?
from www.fionahaswings.com

Fiona Apple's new album, Extraordinary Machine, has been shelved by Sony, according to a recent Rolling Stone interview with Jon Brion, her producer. Supposedly, Sony cannot find a single and is unsure how to promote the record. There is no word yet on how long this will take.
from Rolling Stone

Sony has yet to find the magic song on Brion's latest production, [Fiona] Apple's new record. The album has been finished for months but sits on the shelves at the label as, Brion says, execs search for a single.

"It's a done record," he says. "They'll take whatever amount of time they'll take deciding how to promote it. And who knows? Those things are a black hole."
two tracks have been leaked though...
Old 08-19-04, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

unsure how to promote the record
How about:
1) Release the album
2) Let everyone know it's out so they'll buy it

Maybe even go nuts and send some promo copies of the cd to radio stations and see what songs they want to play on the air.

This doesn't seem like too hard a problem to me.
Old 08-19-04, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The sad thing is that the person(s) involved in this decision are scratching their heads because nothing on a Fiona Apple cd sounds anything like "Pieces of Me" or "My Happy Ending."
Old 08-19-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

those two leaked tracks are excellent...very strange mingling of sounds...ambitious, I would say just by those two tracks Apple and Brion out did themselves...The entire thing, I imagine, will eventually leak...This could be another Wilco debacle.
Old 08-19-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking for the curious, what are the titles of the two tracks floating about?

Edit: Forget it....found them.

Last edited by meritocracy; 08-19-04 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-19-04, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by meritocracy
Speaking for the curious, what are the titles of the two tracks floating about?

Edit: Forget it....found them.
any opinions?
Old 08-19-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Tscott
How about:
1) Release the album
2) Let everyone know it's out so they'll buy it

Maybe even go nuts and send some promo copies of the cd to radio stations and see what songs they want to play on the air.
That's CRAZY TALK right there!
Originally posted by dolphinboy
The sad thing is that the person(s) involved in this decision are scratching their heads because nothing on a Fiona Apple cd sounds anything like "Pieces of Me" or "My Happy Ending."
Y kan't U LeAVe AsHlEeeeeeeee aLonE!??!!111?? sHe RoXXXxxx!11!11!!!
Old 08-19-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good grief...

Just release the damn record already.

Ass clown studio execs...
Old 08-19-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Can someone explain how you can go for a year 'searching' for a single on an album with tops 15 tracks? Are they using some sort of futuristic process to determine if there are additional songs hidden somewhere in there, or are they waiting for the American publics perception of what a pop single sounds like to change?
Old 08-19-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is one of the reasons that I have a problem with these "insta"-pop stars. It doesn't bother me that they record or that they release an album. I'm not forced to buy it. I'm not forced to listen to it. Their FANS go about their business, I go about mine.

However, when some pencilneck geek exec decides that there's no [as dolphinboy said] "Pieces Of Me" or "My Happy Ending" and holds an album back because of record company's "quest" for a holy single, THIS bothers me.
Old 08-19-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
Can someone explain how you can go for a year 'searching' for a single on an album with tops 15 tracks? Are they using some sort of futuristic process to determine if there are additional songs hidden somewhere in there, or are they waiting for the American publics perception of what a pop single sounds like to change?
It's record company logic.

It sounds like there isn't a clear single on the album, which either means the entire album sucks, or it's all good. Either way, they don't know what to do with it, because the industry is completely obsessed with singles. (Which also ties into the frequent complaints of "pay twenty dollars for one good song, and a nine tracks that suck.")

But it does seem kind of strange that they're sitting on the album waiting for a single to turn up like a missing sock.
Old 08-21-04, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This reeks of Wilco! I hope it turns out for the best like it did with them. What a load of crap! Give me the damn album and I'll find the first single. The record companies should just release the albums and let radio figure out the singles. Too bad the people in radio now are just as stupid.

It's like the country singer I saw tonight, Brad "The Dudeboy" Rogers said, "Nashville told me they don't want honkytonk music, they don't want hillbilly music or songs about break ups. Nashville wants songs that are positive for women." I think it's time for the next Sub-Pop to hit it big.
Old 08-21-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
I'd love to hear some new stuff from her. Just release the damn thing!
Old 08-23-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fuckin' Sony, just release the god damn album.

what are the two leaked songs?
Old 08-23-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by theneobez
One's called Better Version Of Me, the other is the title track Extraordinary Machine.
Old 08-23-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
Originally posted by theneobez
Fuckin' Sony, just release the god damn album.

You can find out more about the 2 new songs in this forum:

http://forum.fionahaswings.com/viewf...beaad784dd377a

... and if you come across links to the actual songs, then don't blame me if they somehow wind up on your harddrive.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.