Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Rising" - Aug. 12th limited U.S. release - anyone ("Lagaan" fans maybe?) going?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"The Rising" - Aug. 12th limited U.S. release - anyone ("Lagaan" fans maybe?) going?

Old 08-09-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those (all?) of you who don't generally peak in to the Indian cinema thread in the International forum...........

One of my most eagerly anticipated films of the year, the Indian Hindi-language film The Rising aka Mangal Pandey opens in limited U.S. release this coming Friday. Anyone else planning to check it out? It looks like it will hit 63 theaters so those of you in large metro areas are likely to have a showing nearby (also opens wide in both the U.K. and India).

"The Rising" is a historical epic done Bollywood-style (meaning with some song & dance thrown in). The star is Aamir Khan who also starred in the Oscar-nominate "Lagaan" from a few years back (I get the vibe that he worked long and hard to make this a quality film). It also stars Toby Stephens who is most notable I suppose for being the bad guy in the Bond film "Die Another Day".

"Lagaan" (2001) was a very accessible film even to those who might normally shy away from foreign cinema and I expect "The Rising" will follow suit. Don't be put off by the 2.5 hour runtime as Bollywood films have a different pacing and the time (thanks to the musical numbers?) tends to go by very quickly. "The Rising" is designed as a commercial flick for the masses so I sincerely doubt you'll find yourself checking your watch all the time out of boredom.

Thankfully, the film is playing near me so I'll be checking it out this weekend. "The Rising" had its world premiere just recently on August 3rd at the Locarno Film Festival. The reviews so far are promising (potential perhaps for an Oscar nomination???).

Following are a few links to check out:
"The Rising" trailer
Note: after the trailer comes a brief clip of a musical number from the film so keep watching.
Note 2: I advise against clicking the trailer link found in the "Plot Outline" section of the IMDb.com listing as that links to a different teaser trailer that perhaps contains a spoiler. The trailer I linked to above seems spoiler free.
Note 3: the trailer at the official site seems to be the same as I linked to but it plays in too small a format to make out anything at the official site.

Rich Cline's Shadows on the Wall review

Variety.com review

IMDb.com listing for "The Rising" (2005)
Old 08-09-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Shit, I was Hoping they were finally shooting Brian Keene's "The Rising".