Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Value of Criterion Salo without the case/box/insert??

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-09-05, 05:02 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went into my local used videogame/DVD shop in the neighborhood on Sunday to trade in some games. I was browsing there DVD's and while there DVD selection was crap, they had a Criterion Salo in a plain DVD case, I only saw it because it had Salo written in black Sharpie on the outside of the box (not on the disc).

I looked at the disc, and it was in great shape with minor blemish's, nothing that would keep it from playing i don't think. While I have never seen the movie (from what I have heard I don't really care to) I was thinking of picking this up just to resell. They only wanted $10 for it. Should I cop?

On the flip side, I am not familiar on how to spot bootleg Salo's, this could very well be a bootleg in some plain packaging, or it could be real and the case/insert was lost.

Anywho, is this worth picking up to resell, is there any market for the movie without the case/insert? Or should I just forget it. I stashed it on the bottom of the DVD pile so it would less likely be spotted if I decide to cop.

Input appreciated.

Congrats to me!!! Status of DVD Talk Special Edition
Old 08-09-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It generally seems to be the collectibility and rarity of the whole package that causes interest in this title. Therefore, my guess would be that it wouldn't be worth that much at all (if it's even real).
Old 08-09-05, 05:17 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Skoobooz
It generally seems to be the collectibility and rarity of the whole package that causes interest in this title. Therefore, my guess would be that it wouldn't be worth that much at all (if it's even real).
I agree. With the other versions out there mostly only the Criterion completionists would want it and it doesn't really "complete" without the entire package.
Old 08-09-05, 05:20 PM

I've seen that movie before and it is BRUTAL. Also i think you could get some money for it (maybe 50-100 bucks) if it is the disk with the white ring.
Old 08-09-05, 05:39 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
There are so many bootlegs and facet versions of this title you should be careful before parting with any money unless you are interested in the movie.
Old 08-09-05, 05:39 PM
Suspended

Hmm thanks for the replies. I have no interest in the movie, I just thought that i could resell it, if somebody really liked the movie, and didn't really care for the "complete package" Thanks all
Old 08-09-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For $10, I'd probably get it just for the heck of it.
Old 08-09-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Since someone who was interested in the movie itself can buy the R2/PAL release plus a region-free player for less than the going price for a legit Criterion SALO, you have to assume it's only serious collectors who are paying big bucks - and serious collectors want the original packaging as well.
Old 08-09-05, 10:07 PM
Suspended

^ Thanks I actually didn't even know there was a R2 version, oh well.

Thanks for the input all, I am going to pass on it.
Old 08-09-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are there any covers online that can be printed off? I assume if you get a quality printer, a replacement case...you'll have the entire product minus the insert (which, if it isn't a booklet, you may be able to print off as well). It'd be a lot of trouble, but it might be worth it (I know that I'd buy it from you if it was a legitimate disc, whether the coverart was the original or not). If it's done well enough, it'll make no difference to me once it's in-hand.

-JP
Old 08-09-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Priceless.
Old 08-09-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy the thing and put it in the Used DVD treasure hunt! This is exactly WHY we have such a system...
Old 08-10-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Buy the thing and put it in the Used DVD treasure hunt! This is exactly WHY we have such a system...
Agreed. Just pick it up, toss it in the hunt thread and get your money back. Someone will take it for your cost + shipping and you'll be helping a DVDTalker out. Believe it or not, someone may actually want the movie, not the collectible.
Old 08-10-05, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Agreed. Just pick it up, toss it in the hunt thread and get your money back. Someone will take it for your cost + shipping and you'll be helping a DVDTalker out. Believe it or not, someone may actually want the movie, not the collectible.
Ok that sounds good, though 1) I don't know what the DVD talk treasure hunt is and 2) can somebody school me on how to spot a bootleg/R2 disc? I would hate to pick this thing up and offer it to a DVD Talker and have it be a bootleg.
Old 08-10-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well since it is only the disc, you have to look for a white ring in the center of the disc. If it doesn't have that whiteish ring then it's a bootleg.

DVD Treasure Hunt is located in the DVD Exchange Forum.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-10-05, 06:26 PM

http://www.criterionforum.com/index.php?showtopic=399