Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"RENT" - The film! (Nov 23, 2005)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"RENT" - The film! (Nov 23, 2005)

Old 06-02-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer for the musical RENT online

Trailer

Trailer is interesting. Not one of my favorite musicals, nor one of my favorite directors, but hey ....
Old 06-02-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the past decade or so, Rent has been one of the better musicals, but I serverly dislike the director attached...

With that said, the trailer looks pretty damn promising. Hopefully it delivers.
Old 06-02-05, 04:10 PM

Received 797 Likes on 520 Posts
Man.... Detective Green can sing!
Old 06-02-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Man.... Detective Green can sing!
Well he is the original Collins after all.
Old 06-02-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now all we need is Avenue Q to come to theaters.
Old 06-02-05, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Well he is the original Collins after all.
I know that.
Old 06-02-05, 06:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Sheeeet, I'll throw down: I think Chris Columbus is great. And this film doesn't look like the trainwreck I was expecting.
Old 06-02-05, 07:03 PM

I know that everyone hates this debate, but my wife and I were wondering if this would be PG-13 since Columbus is at the helm, or due to the content of the movie if it would be R.

I do not think that the musical stage play is that hard to warrant an R performance, but I can see them play it safe so that it would appeal to a wider audience, especially around the holidays.

Any ideas? comments? harsh remarks?
Old 06-02-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anybody else having problems viewing it thru that site? when I click on the high-res quicktime, it prompts me to log in and the wm versions don't work for me.
Old 06-02-05, 07:38 PM

Anybody else having problems viewing it thru that site? when I click on the high-res quicktime, it prompts me to log in and the wm versions don't work for me.
Here's a direct link to the large quicktime file:

http://www.tribute.ca/QTTrailers/rent_lg.mov
Old 06-02-05, 09:33 PM

I know that everyone hates this debate, but my wife and I were wondering if this would be PG-13 since Columbus is at the helm, or due to the content of the movie if it would be R.

I do not think that the musical stage play is that hard to warrant an R performance, but I can see them play it safe so that it would appeal to a wider audience, especially around the holidays.

Any ideas? comments? harsh remarks?
It'll be PG-13. I don't remember the musical being THAT dirty, but there's too big of an audience for it to be R.

Last edited by scott shelton; 06-02-05 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-02-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott shelton
It'll be PG-13. I don't remember the musical being THAT dirty, but there's too big of an audience or this for it to be R.
No, the musical is not dirty, it's just the "content" of the musical which may be a problem for the film getting a PG-13.

Serious Question: Has there ever been PG-13 films to tackle a subject like say homosexuality honestly? I can name numerous PG-13 rated films that have homosexual characters and that briefly go into their lifestyle, but I can't think of one that really does take the subject seriously.

With Columbus at the helm, it may be PG-13. Especially since he has never done an R rated movie before. However, if they do remain completely faithful to the original musical, I would be not shocked (and a bit pleased) if they do go for the R rating (even if it'll be a light R at most).
Old 06-02-05, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
No, the musical is not dirty, it's just the "content" of the musical which may be a problem for the film getting a PG-13.

Serious Question: Has there ever been PG-13 films to tackle a subject like say homosexuality honestly? I can name numerous PG-13 rated films that have homosexual characters and that briefly go into their lifestyle, but I can't think of one that really does take the subject seriously.

With Columbus at the helm, it may be PG-13. Especially since he has never done an R rated movie before. However, if they do remain completely faithful to the original musical, I would be not shocked (and a bit pleased) if they do go for the R rating (even if it'll be a light R at most).

Well, I didn't mean "dirty" in the VAN WILDER sense, but the play was tame when it came to swearing and explict sex.

Homosexuality is a breeze, as is drug use, and obnoxious characters who love filmmaking, as long as they keep it light. RENT always struck me as keeping it light.

We had this conversation about the BAD NEWS BEARS too. Trust me, RENT will be PG-13.

If I'm wrong, I'll fondle Dawson's boobs.

As for the homosexual film question, all I got off the top of my head is 2 FAST 2 FURIOUS.

Seriously, DE-LOVELY is a good example.
Old 06-02-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott shelton
Well, I didn't mean "dirty" in the VAN WILDER sense, but the play was tame when it came to swearing and explict sex.

Homosexuality is a breeze, as is drug use, and obnoxious characters who love filmmaking, as long as they keep it light. RENT always struck me as keeping it light.

We had this conversation about the BAD NEWS BEARS too. Trust me, RENT will be PG-13.

If I'm wrong, I'll fondle Dawson's boobs.

As for the homosexual film question, all I got off the top of my head is 2 FAST 2 FURIOUS.

Seriously, DE-LOVELY is a good example.
Well I said it would probably be PG-13 because of who is at the helm. I'm sure Christ will come back a third time before Columbus makes a film that is rated R. That or if he makes a decent film. You take your pick at that one. It swings either way...

So if I liked 2 Fast 2 Furious does that mean I caught teh gay?
Old 06-03-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a direct link to the large quicktime file:

http://www.tribute.ca/QTTrailers/rent_lg.mov
Thanks, but I still can't get it to work. This sucks.
Old 06-03-05, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Check here for some direct links: http://compulsivebowlers.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=714

I didn't see this and started another thread but since deleted it. I said I had reservations both because of the director and rumored script changes but this trailer has gotten me very excited about the show. Can't wait 'til November 11.
Old 06-03-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been wanting to catch this again on stage, but the trailer looks great and I'm sure the silver screen will do this justice!
Old 06-03-05, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It isn't dirty, but there are a few f-bombs in the lyrics (See "Tango Maureen").
Old 06-03-05, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks! Man, that looked great and having Seasons of Love playing the whole way through was just the icing on the freaking cake.

Never got where the hate for CC came from. This is a no-brainer, must-see for me.
Old 06-03-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Never got where the hate for CC came from.
Heartbreak Hotel?
Only the Lonely?
Home Alone 2: Lost In New York?
Nine Months?
Stepmom?
Bicentennial Man?

Home Alone and Mrs. Doubtfire are decent flicks, as are the first two Harry Potter films. But when you compare the first two Potter flicks to the third one, they seem very lackluster to what Cuarón put up there. Simply put, the man has turned out to be a shitty storyteller. Which is sad considering this is the same guy who wrote Gremlins and The Goonies.
Old 06-03-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Meh, to each their own. I like what I like, regardless of a director's track record.

Back on topic, on this page, you can read blogs from the cast regarding filming and other stuff. Pretty interesting read.
Old 06-03-05, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Heartbreak Hotel?
Only the Lonely?
Home Alone 2: Lost In New York?
Nine Months?
Stepmom?
Bicentennial Man?

Home Alone and Mrs. Doubtfire are decent flicks, as are the first two Harry Potter films. But when you compare the first two Potter flicks to the third one, they seem very lackluster to what Cuarón put up there. Simply put, the man has turned out to be a shitty storyteller. Which is sad considering this is the same guy who wrote Gremlins and The Goonies.
I dug LONELY. It's a sweet John Candy film.

HOME 2 is a rehash, but a decent one that got the job done. Remember, it was a paycheck movie for everyone involved.

NINE MONTHS and DOUBTFIRE are silly, farcical creations. Sure, sappy. But it's fun to see comedies in free-range mode.

BICENTENNIAL I cannot defend. His only outright mistake. There's nothing redeeming about it.

And STEPMOM... well, that's a sentimental favorite around these parts.

You forgot ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING, which is a semi-classic of its genre - soon to be ruined by a remake.

As for POTTER, Columbus laid incredible groundwork for the series in tone and respect for the source material. Curon's film is visually fine, but storywise, it's the cloudiest of the three. The series would be much different without Columbus's initial guidance.

Of course, Columbus also wrote CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS, so the future isn’t rosy… but I like the guy. He can do a good job with RENT.
Old 06-03-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And STEPMOM... well, that's a sentimental favorite around these parts.
I hope you die Scott Shelton and I hope you burn in hell.

Bicentennial Man looks like Citizen Kane compared to the terrible trainwreckage that was Stepmom. Easily, my brain does not understand how anyone can like that two hour sentimental shitfest.

And speaking of which, that happened to be the worst Christmas ever: Patch Adams, Stepmom, The Faculty (this is a guilty pleasure of mine though), and Mighty Joe Young. All on the same day.
Old 06-03-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, but I still can't get it to work. This sucks.
I coudn't get any of the others to work either, but here's one i found that does.....i think it requires quicktime:

oops sorry, shaun300, i removed the link

Last edited by garmonbozia; 06-03-05 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-03-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Please remove that link, it's really just for members of that site. They've had problems with people leeching and eating up all their bandwidth. I posted a link the thread that contained several links but purposely did not include any direct links to videos. I would hope others would do the same.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.