Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Talking Volume Low - Action Volume HIGH

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-05, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this problem on 2 different systems, and noticed my girlfriends system has the same problem...During dialogue the volume is too low and during action/music it's too loud. We have to watch movies with controller in hand, and adjust the volume from scene to scene.

What is wrong? Both my girlfriend and I have a stereo setup with 2 speakers. Hers is hooked up to the TV, mine to a receiver (Pioneer). I suspect it's trying to output surround sound and can't, but twiddling with the settings have proven fruitless. Anyone have any advice on how to fix it?
Old 08-08-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rook818
. . .What is wrong? Both my girlfriend and I have a stereo setup with 2 speakers. Hers is hooked up to the TV, mine to a receiver (Pioneer). I suspect it's trying to output surround sound and can't, but twiddling with the settings have proven fruitless. Anyone have any advice on how to fix it?
It sounds to me like you are setup for dolby surround but without a center speaker this is exactly what I would expect to happen. Check the Pioneer receiver manual for the settings and change it to two channel or phantom mode.
Old 08-08-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
It sounds to me like you are setup for dolby surround but without a center speaker this is exactly what I would expect to happen. Check the Pioneer receiver manual for the settings and change it to two channel or phantom mode.

Yeah - "What he said"
Old 08-08-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If that isn't it, look for a "dynamic compression" item in the DVD player's setup and turn it on. Then only use Dolby tracks, no DTS. DVDs have quite the dynamic range and this is a common complaint even when they the equipment is running normally. My wife would be a good example. Dolby has a built-in system for evening out the voice/effects volume somewhat.