Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

F.E.A.R. demo now available

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F.E.A.R. demo now available

Yes I know, another FPS for the PC

However, I've seen a couple of videos and it looks cool; creepy atmosphere, good ragdoll physics and some psychological terror.

Downloading the demo now, only 4 hours to go (and I got cable!!)

http://www.whatisfear.com/us/

Edit: was downloading from Gamespot but switched to Gamesdomain, my download time went from 4 hours to 16 minutes

Last edited by Darkfriend; 08-07-05 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-07-05, 06:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I'm downloading now...
Old 08-07-05, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any mini reviews yet? I meant to download it over the weekend but, er forgot..
Old 08-07-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's my mini review of the demo.

First of all the demo should be called a teaser, because it's kinda short. However I was happily surprised! Not to compare, but it felt like I was playing in a Doom 3 atmosphere with Half-life 2 AI. There's also a "slow-mo" feature (à la Max Payne or Matrix) which you can activate whenever you want ( it's especially funny when someone talks to you ).

I ran the game at high settings ( I have a P4 3.40 GHZ with 1Gig of Ram and a ATI 9800 pro) but I toned down some features in the video card options. My computer was top of the line a year ago but now it's a dated piece of crap

Anyway, it's definitely the kind of game to play in the dark with headphones on; I have to admit I had one "Oh Shit!!" moment that caught me off guard. The ragdoll physics are very cool ( especially in slow-mo) but my only worry is that the game gets repetitive (like Doom 3) but we'll have to wait for the full game.
Old 08-07-05, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My PC is too outdated and won't run this game (1.4 Ghz Athlon, 512 MB RAM, Geforce 3). I am going to upgrade it sometime later this year because this game looks really cool. There is a video on gametrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=7102&type=mov) that shows the entire demo for people like me who can't play it.
Spoiler:
The little girl freaks me out. For some reason, I keep thinking of The Ring movie when I see her.
Old 08-07-05, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Yeah that little girl sounds creepy at first but I think she's on your side... Judging from the early intro she's the one screaming about what they did to you... But still she shows up at the most unexpected times
Old 08-08-05, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Played the demo a bit, and damn this game looks pretty. Used the autodetect feature on my PC (Athlon 64 3000+, 1 gig ram, 6600GT video card) and it runs well. The problem I'm having is with the controls. I use a wireless keyboard/mouse with my PC, and haven't had problems with other games, but for some reason with this, the movement controls arent always responsive. What I mean by this is I'll press 'W' to move forward for example, but nothing happens. I have to hit it again to move forward, and then I'll move for a ways, then suddenly I stop, and have to hit 'W' (or any other keyboard movement key) again once or twice to move again. Very annoying.

Seems really fun otherwise, I like the physics and slow-mo and the creep out or two I ran into already. I did turn the head bob feature way down. I also like how your character actually has a body (you can look down and see legs and feet!)

Brian
Old 08-08-05, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bdshort
I also like how your character actually has a body (you can look down and see legs and feet!)
That's good to hear! Looking down and not seeing your body was my biggest pet peeve in FPS for a looong time.
Old 08-08-05, 07:18 AM
Banned

I just now got the demo running on my PC. I had read the minimum specs and saw that my PC was below the min, so I had thought it would not run. I really wanted to play the game, so I figured what the heck the worst that could happen is my PC would explode. I downloaded the demo, and it actually runs on my PC. Of course, I have it on the lowest possible graphical settings, but it is running pretty steady. I love the rail gun in this game. Shoot someone with it, and it disintegrates him and leaves behind a skeleton.
Old 08-08-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just played the demo again and I gotta say the AI is very good. I lobbed a grenade through a window and the guy jumped through that same window to escape the blast. Some guys will use furniture to hide for cover. I even tried the old "run in a corner and wait for them to show up so I can mow them down" technique but instead they chucked grenades at me hehe.

Good stuff!
Old 08-08-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Darkfriend
I even tried the old "run in a corner and wait for them to show up so I can mow them down" technique but instead they chucked grenades at me hehe.

Good stuff!
Crap, there goes my chances of beating this game.
Old 08-09-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What the hell kinda machine can run this @ 1024x768 and high settings? I have an Athlon 64 3200, 1 gig of 3200 ram, and a Radeon 9800 pro and this thing was incredibly choppy even on 800x600 and medium graphics all around. Maybe it was because I was fiddling with the settings in the middle of the game, I don't know. How's everyone else doing with the game on their rig?
Old 08-10-05, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Pentium D 2.8ghz with a 6600GT and it ran smoothly at 1024x768 with the detected configuration (which the game referred to as High). I did try enabling AA which had been disabled and this seemed to make it a little choppy.

The game is promising but the number of keys required make me feel a bit clumsy trying to play it. I also kept forgetting to use the slow down ability. The Silent Hill rip off bit did seem a bit naff, but overall the suspense was well done. I likethe way your breathing starts to get heavy and you can hear the thumping of your heart when your avatar starts freaking out!

Recommended download.
Old 08-12-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This game seemed like it was trying to hard with the whole atmosphere bit, especially with the F bombs and such. It just seemed kinda cliched and crap, tryin' to impress teenagers or something. That, and it ran like crap on a system that runs Half-Life 2 and Far Cry and such virtually flawlessly. Of course it'll run much better when the game goes gold. I did quite enjoy the slow down effects and such, thought that was a lot of fun. It'll probably turn out well, but it's not really different enough for me to care about it.
Old 08-15-05, 10:23 AM

It ran a little dodgy on my Inspiron 9300 with Geforce Go 6800 at 1024x768. Most of the time it was fluid, but there were occasional stutters... strangely, when nothing was going on.

That said, I really liked the AI, the creepy atmosphere, and the physics... I'll buy it, hoping that the demo isn't as tweaked for performance as the final product. Hopefully the final supports widescreen as well.