Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Alexander DVD Help Needed. I'm in a real pickle!!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-05, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I live in the UK and have recently bought Alexander 2 disc theatrical version (region 2 obviously). I have recently researched about the other edition of the dvd, the directors cut but didn't purchase it as i noticed it was actually shorter (!) than the original.

However, my findings have led me to believe that the directors cut has MORE ACTION, 9 MINUTES MORE SCENES and LESS 'GAY' SCENES. If this is all true I would definatly change from the theatrical version, which is annoying as the film is split oover 2 disks (damn!)

However, many other forums and reviews have said that the directors cut hasn't got as good sound or picture quality as the long 2 disk spread of the theatrical version and hasen't really got MUCH MORE ACTION!

So people I beg you, please let me know all you can about what I've outlined or anything else you know as to guide me wether or not to change my 2 disk theatrical version to the one disk special directors cut!

I would basically also like to know WHAT VERSION IS BETTER! Please help. I'm in a real pickle and don't know what to do.

Thank y'all for your time,

Chris Bawn
Bawno
Old 08-06-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been debating picking this up for the hell of it... if in fact the directors cut is poorer in quality, it would be great info to know, I also would appreciate some input on this.
Old 08-06-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
This site's review right here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16903
Old 08-06-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

juse get the korean R3 version...great packaging and it's the theatrical cut.
Old 08-06-05, 06:12 PM

I second the Korean R3. Picked it up in June. Great quality, cool packaging, theatrical cut, and on 1 disc. The best version available in my opinion.
Old 08-06-05, 06:20 PM

I rented the director's cut, and honestly it really doesn't change much. I haven't seen the theatrical version since it was initially released, but all I really noticed was the shortening of Anthony Hopkins' history lesson at the beginning and a little re-arranging of the order of certain scenes (which was one of my biggest complaints with the theatrical version, and I was hoping the director's cut would fix this, but like the dvdtalk review says, it actually makes it worse). There certainly is not any more action, it's definitely not "faster-paced" as the cover claims, and there didn't seem to be any less "gay" scenes as you put it.

As for the quality, I found the director's cut to be yet another high-level release from Warner. But just the fact that the theatrical version you speak of is spread over two discs should mean that the quality should be slightly better on that one. But that's something only a direct comparison can decide upon.

As I said, the link to the review listed above is pretty dead-on all around. If I were going to pick this up, I'd go for the theatrical version.

Last edited by bjh_18; 08-06-05 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-06-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scrotalsac187
I second the Korean R3. Picked it up in June. Great quality, cool packaging, theatrical cut, and on 1 disc. The best version available in my opinion.
Is this the version you guys are referring to?