Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

First GTA:SA, now Killer 7: Jack Thompson demands rating change to AO for sex scene

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

First GTA:SA, now Killer 7: Jack Thompson demands rating change to AO for sex scene

Old 08-06-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw this on IGN. I never thought this would happen . but I'm also at the same time. sometimes I hate when I'm right.

Now that Grand Theft Auto was successfully pulled off the shelves, Jack Thompson is now demanding Killer 7's rating be changed from M to AO and be pulled from retail shelves, which means this game is doomed (not that it had much a chance to begin with) for having a "full blown sex scene."

It was fine that the game involved mass murdering, decapitations, extended torturing and gore, high body counts, mature themes (I mean intense violence is written on the freaking box). But unfortunately sex is the hot button topic ATM. Innocent kids slitting their virtual wrists (I'm not making this stuff up btw) might be scarred by sexual acts (which aren't even close to what you see on any number of sit-coms or TV shows).

But wait! There's more! And to be serious for a second, unfortunately it's a bad one. He's calling to dismantle the ESRB if the rating isn't changed. ouch. And you know what happens if that comes comes to be. Ouch. Think he'll actually do it?

Last edited by Outlaw; 08-08-05 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-06-05, 11:24 AM

My reaction to what is going on in this country. It's only going to get worse. I looked forward to turning 21 when I was a kid, but now it looks like they want to take away all the fun from the adults and revolve everything around the kids. Pathetic.
Old 08-06-05, 11:52 AM

Hopefully they can fix this rating thing, and get rid of the M rating and just have AO, and convince stores to sell them. This actually might be the best thing to happen with the gaming industry. If all there is is T and AO rating, there will be nothing holding them back anymore. And the games will be more violent, and there will be nothing the politicians can complain about.
Old 08-06-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the hell does that Thompson think an M rating is?
Old 08-06-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jack Thompson isn't a "fed."
Old 08-06-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This just sounds like a typical outcry that has been occuring in video games for years. With the recent "victory" of anti-game groups, I fully expect to see more of this for the next several months.

I think this carries different weight than GTA:SA though, as that was content that the ratings board never saw. This content was rated and therefore nobody can say they are surprised by it.

Whether people agree with how well the ESRB rates or not, they still did rate it. I don't see the MPAA being dismantled because some people disagree with its ratings.

Last edited by outer-edge; 08-06-05 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-06-05, 01:26 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Outlaw
It was fine that the game involved mass murdering, decapitations, extended torturing and gore, high body counts, mature themes (I mean intense violence is written on the freaking box). But unfortunately sex is the hot button topic ATM.
This prudish and absolute non-sensical moral system we have in this country is almost enough to make me ashamed to call myself an American.
Old 08-06-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by theneobez
What the hell does that Thompson think an M rating is?
Yeah, that was the first thing to come to my mind. I mean, it's a mature game! 13 year olds shouldn't be playing it in the first place! What the hell is the difference between AO and M? And why the hell are parents buying these M games for their 10 year old kids anyway? Does the ESRB really need to be changed to placate parents who are too stupid to read?

And isn't this the guy who was rallying against the SIMS 2 for its simulated nudity? What a nut...
Old 08-06-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds fine to me. Maybe if they actually started using the AO rating, then it wouldn't be such a dirty word. But much like the NC-17 rating for movies, I see little hope of that happening. Videogame makers will just edit their games down to an M, and try not to rock the boat too much.
Old 08-06-05, 03:44 PM

I agree with the M rating, the funny thing (and part i can't figure out) is that the two characters "having sex" are fully clothed, you don't see anything "objectionable", you aren't controlling the characters in some sort of mini game, it's not hidden on the disc and was seen and rated by the ESRB. Thompson is just going off the IGN review where they say its a "full blown sex scene" but it's not quite, i doubt he's seen it. I can understand IGN's shock at that scene, it was pretty shocking to me, there's no warning or anything (like everything else in this game), but they exaggerated on that respect. The problem i see with this is that other game developers are going to feel restricted to put something that might offend people in their games in fear their game gets rated AO (which is a death sentence money speaking), and tone their games down.

i guess there's one good thing, once mainstream news sources pick up on this the game will sell more than ever .
Old 08-07-05, 11:07 AM

Well,

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
This prudish and absolute non-sensical moral system we have in this country is almost enough to make me ashamed to call myself an American.
As a traveler to many countries, I for one kiss the ground of the U.S. every time I return. While much of the world is more lax in their morals and norms, it must be remembered that there's a give and a take for such action. I'm thankful I've had money on me to bribe police officers and like when I was in Prague or I wouldn't be typing this today. Considering many of these sort of games wouldn't be allowed to even be produced in other countries (depicting rioting and revolt is a no no in many countries, much like free speech), that's a little much. You must realize, we still enjoy more freedom with our "non-sensical moral system," and the near constant complaining of our populace than the most of the world.
Old 08-07-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Linn1
As a traveler to many countries, I for one kiss the ground of the U.S. every time I return. While much of the world is more lax in their morals and norms, it must be remembered that there's a give and a take for such action. I'm thankful I've had money on me to bribe police officers and like when I was in Prague or I wouldn't be typing this today. Considering many of these sort of games wouldn't be allowed to even be produced in other countries (depicting rioting and revolt is a no no in many countries, much like free speech), that's a little much. You must realize, we still enjoy more freedom with our "non-sensical moral system," and the near constant complaining of our populace than the most of the world.

I think the problems you speak of in many foreign countries has more to do with corrupt or inept political systems rather than the the societal attitudes toward sex and violence.

This crusade by Jack Thompson is just silly, the ratings board rated it M, appropriately, but he has won some small victories with GTA and sees this as an avenue for more political grandstanding. Most of the parents know little about the games, so he really doesn't have to prove anything, he just appears to them as showing concern for the kids.
Old 08-07-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This guy needs to shutup and people need to start taking some personal responsibility. After reading about a good portion of the content of Killer 7, I decided that it was a bit much for my tastes. Just sounded a bit too gruesome, ya know? However, as it stands, this is M rated content. That rating seemed appropriate. M rated doesn't mean "oh, it's just a spot of violence, my kid won't mind..." Idiots! Take responsibility, and this guy's need for attention is really starting to make me sick.
Old 08-07-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hey quick question for you guys. I'm actually looking to sell my copy of GTA:San Andreas for the XBox on half.com (I just don't really have the kind of time to dedicate to such a long game and I could always use some cash). Problem is, it doesn't find it by UPC code and when I manually search for it it just says "The item is currently unavailable". I was looking on ebay and people are trying to sell copies for like $90! All I'm looking to do it be able to sell mine on half.com or something for like $35 and not have to deal with ebay. I don't understand why I can't even list mine, especially since IIRC it was the PC version that could be patched not the XBox or PS2 versions. Figures, the one time I have something that's "out of print" there are tons of them out there and I can't even get a quick $35 for it without dealing with ebay.
Old 08-07-05, 07:04 PM

God of War might as well get an AO rating too but we shall see.
Old 08-07-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
maybe this will up the sales of Killer 7.
Old 08-07-05, 10:15 PM

Wth a name like Killer 7 , the game can only get nothing but good press . I thought it was about chasing butteflies.

even though it is extremly violent (cel-shaded violence mind you), it's one of those games that is also mature for being an actual "Mature game" for adults story and characterwise and not another Extreme Theft Auto 10: The Massacre, i highly doubt kids would understand the story enough to play longer, i had a pretty hard time putting the story together myself and even after pages of discussion on boards, i'm still not sure i get all of it.

I hope god of war isn't next, the game is awesome and deserves to be on store shelves.
Old 08-08-05, 02:20 PM
Suspended

real talk
Old 08-08-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
hey quick question for you guys. I'm actually looking to sell my copy of GTA:San Andreas for the XBox on half.com (I just don't really have the kind of time to dedicate to such a long game and I could always use some cash). Problem is, it doesn't find it by UPC code and when I manually search for it it just says "The item is currently unavailable". I was looking on ebay and people are trying to sell copies for like $90! All I'm looking to do it be able to sell mine on half.com or something for like $35 and not have to deal with ebay. I don't understand why I can't even list mine, especially since IIRC it was the PC version that could be patched not the XBox or PS2 versions. Figures, the one time I have something that's "out of print" there are tons of them out there and I can't even get a quick $35 for it without dealing with ebay.
Looks like they took the path of many of the current wuss companies & have removed it from being sold on their database.
Old 08-08-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This whole thing seems completely inane to me, because "mature" MEANS "adults only"! Technically, no store should be selling "mature" games to kids!
Old 08-08-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
hey quick question for you guys. I'm actually looking to sell my copy of GTA:San Andreas for the XBox on half.com (I just don't really have the kind of time to dedicate to such a long game and I could always use some cash). Problem is, it doesn't find it by UPC code and when I manually search for it it just says "The item is currently unavailable".I was looking on ebay and people are trying to sell copies for like $90! All I'm looking to do it be able to sell mine on half.com or something for like $35 and not have to deal with ebay. I don't understand why I can't even list mine, especially since IIRC it was the PC version that could be patched not the XBox or PS2 versions. Figures, the one time I have something that's "out of print" there are tons of them out there and I can't even get a quick $35 for it without dealing with ebay.
The console versions of GTA:SA can be hacked even easier than the PC version if you have an Action Replay and the cheat code that enables it.

The UPC code was removed when Take Two recalled all copies in the retail channel. I know my local GameStop cannot sell their inventory of new copies, used copies had to be pulled from shelves, and they cannot take it in trade any more because it cannot be scanned in.

There are still millions of PS2 copies of the game available so the price of a used one hasn't jumped. Your XBox version is a bit of a rare prize since the "hot coffee" mod was discovered so soon after it was released. The scarcity of it on the market has driven up the price as you've noticed.

I say soak some ebay sucker for all you can get, but that's just me
Old 08-08-05, 05:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Misleading subject header, to a huge degree. Since when is Jack Thompson a fed?
Old 08-08-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
If it's not even an interactive scene, I'm guessing it's equivalent to an R rated (or maybe even PG-13) movie in terms of content.

I'm thinking, with God of War, whoever's waiting for it to become GH should go ahead and get it soon, since if this continues to go on, the GH version will be neutered.

I STILL see GTA:SA in the weekly newspaper ads. I haven't gone to the stores to check, but aren't they still on the shelf?

BTW, the "at least we're not as bad as this other country" is a slippery slope indeed...
Old 08-08-05, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Misleading subject header, to a huge degree. Since when is Jack Thompson a fed?
yeahyeah yeah, i get the idea, he's a lawyer, my mistake. someone change the topic.
Old 08-08-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw
yeahyeah yeah, i get the idea, he's a lawyer, my mistake. someone change the topic.
Done

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.