Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Crazy Lips'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Daniel W. Kelly's DVD review of Crazy Lips at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12318 and...

I don't disagree with the general gist of the review: this is a godawful mishmash of a movie, although the award of zero stars may be a bit over the top. Nonetheless, Crazy Lips has a certain appeal that Daniel W. Kelly didn't mention.

There are two types of "bad" movies people tend to enjoy. The first is the cliche, the "it's so bad it's good," Ed Woods-type experience. The other is the category that appeals to me--so weird that it is watchable. Crazy Lips certainly fits that bill better than any film produced in the last decade or so. If you enjoyed The Terror of Tiny Town, Reefer Madness, or The Brainiac, go right now and rent this one. You won't be disappointed if your tastes run in this direction. It takes a special talent to unintentionally turn the horrors of rape and necrophilia into comedy, but that occurs in an especially hilarious scene. That last sentence made me realize it would be nice to have Neil Gross review this film for a different perspective.

Be sure to watch the special features, which Kelly found to be frank and honest. He is right. They are. And this adds to the hilarity of the DVD. The producer and director seem to be simultaneously unaware of how remarkably awful Crazy Lips is yet fully aware that they have made the Japanese equivalent of a Corman exploitation flick that will reap them a good return on their investment.

If you are a movie freak, with the emphasis on "freak," this will be a joy to behold.

Last edited by Joe Frank; 08-04-05 at 11:48 PM. Reason: spelling error