Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Frank Miller's Sin City'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-04-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Randy Miller III's DVD review of Frank Miller's Sin City at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=17038 and...

CAN'T WAIT TO GET THIS DVD!!! Usually I'll wait for a better edition but I'll watch this dvd at least 5 times before the new SE comes out so I have no problem with double dipping on this one.

Great to see that it received such high marks in the audio/ video department since it's so bare bones.
Old 08-04-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting review. Not having seen the DVD, I can only say that a lot of the other reviews I've read put the video quality as surprisingly bad.
Old 08-05-05, 06:20 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Originally Posted by renaldow
Interesting review. Not having seen the DVD, I can only say that a lot of the other reviews I've read put the video quality as surprisingly bad.
"a lot" there is only like 2 other reviews out there and dvdtalk puts it as top notch. way to threadcrap!
Old 08-05-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Care to post links for the other reviews?
Old 08-05-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know if there will be a slipcover over the dvd case?

Did I miss that somewhere....
Old 08-05-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I didn't get the packaging yet, so I'm not sure. If it's anything like the Reservoir Dogs release, I'd imagine there might be four different slipcovers (but I could be wrong). If no one's answered your question by the time I get the packaging, I'll let you know.
Old 08-05-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did I miss that somewhere....
Yes, 4 different versions.
Old 08-05-05, 10:36 AM
Cool New Member

SIN CITY is not the usual type of film that would make my "best of" list. Not that I dislike comic book adaptations (I manage to see most of them at the cinema), but this genre rarely produces anything that is "revolutionary". SIN CITY, however, is a noteworthy exception. I saw many films during the past year, and SIN CITY sits at the top of that list as the best thing I've seen. Technically speaking, SC is indeed something of a "breakthough" film. Rodriguez takes digital cinema to a whole new level, and the film is a visual marvel. Not only that, but every frame of the film is meticulously composed and is the sweetest variety of eye-candy. Many of the performances are spot-on, most noteably Micky Roarke (who was literally born to play this role). The plots and character development are limited, but both would get in the way for this type of film.

I was a big fan of Rodriguez' first film EL MARIACHI, but I've thought his work has gone steadily downhill since then (watching a few minutes of one of the SPY KIDS movies was enough to almost write him off completely). But now he's come back with a vengeance with SIN CITY. I eagerly await both versions of SIN CITY on dvd, as well as SIN CITY 2!

Eric
Old 08-05-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scott1598
"a lot" there is only like 2 other reviews out there and dvdtalk puts it as top notch. way to threadcrap!
No, that wasn't a threadcrap at all. If you think it was, I don't think you've ever seen a threadcrap. I complimented the review, and made a comment. Chill out.

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Care to post links for the other reviews?
Do a google search, there's dozens. Don't take my comments as saying you don't know what you're talking about or insulting you, that's not what I was saying. I've heard from plenty of people that have advance copies of this that the color on b/w bleeds and the DVD just wasn't mastered that well. In other words, it's like most of the other Buena Vista releases lately.
Old 08-05-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Yes, 4 different versions.
Yeah thats what I wondering...if there would just be 4 different slipcases but with the same art for all of them on the inner cover, or if the slipcase/inner cover would match.
Old 08-05-05, 12:03 PM

Yeah thats what I wondering...if there would just be 4 different slipcases but with the same art for all of them on the inner cover, or if the slipcase/inner cover would match.
Sorry, no the inner cover is the same on all. It is just the outer that is different.
Old 08-05-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Do a google search, there's dozens. Don't take my comments as saying you don't know what you're talking about or insulting you, that's not what I was saying. I've heard from plenty of people that have advance copies of this that the color on b/w bleeds and the DVD just wasn't mastered that well. In other words, it's like most of the other Buena Vista releases lately.
No harm done. I didn't take it the wrong way, but I like to read "second opionions" too (or first opinions, since they're up already). I'd already checked out Google but didn't see any detailed ones...maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
Old 08-05-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All I find is reviews from when the movie came out but nothing on the DVD quality itself.

I have read comments from somebody at DVDFile that received an early copy but he makes no mention of the PQ.
Old 08-05-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Still haven't found any other reviews, save for one over at HomeTheaterInfo.com.

Here's a snippet about the technical presentation:

"The video is in a crisp 1.85:1 anamorphic, as mentioned most is black and white with a splash of color, just as is found in the Miller graphic novels. The Dolby 5.1 audio has power beyond what most films have. The surround field pulls you into this dark world filled with the sounds of a city in ruin. You can almost feel each punch as if you where on the receiving end. This film is not for the squeamish, it is violence taken to an almost unheard of limit. Still, the presentation is what matters here. Most films that attempt to use style to this degree fail but here it makes the film."

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 08-05-05 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-05-05, 02:37 PM

No, that wasn't a threadcrap at all. If you think it was, I don't think you've ever seen a threadcrap. I complimented the review, and made a comment. Chill out.

I can't find the dozens you are talking about. Maybe you can just post the link to the review you read.
Old 08-06-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'll look for the review. I had found it during a google search. There are many DVD reviews out there, unfortunately most just seem to comment on the movie.
Old 08-06-05, 02:26 AM

I actually never saw it in the theater, but I will most likely buy this on day one!
Old 08-06-05, 08:28 AM

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/sincity/16107/3044/
Old 08-06-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts
I think i've decided to hold off on this one. Having seen it in the theater and with so many DVD releases coming up I think I can manage - even if it is next yr for the SE. Thanks for the early review tho.
Old 08-09-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

SOunds good.. This was a must buy either way, but sounds like a good home translation.
Old 08-11-05, 12:22 AM

director's cut???
Old 08-11-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bareva
director's cut???
rumor is christmas time or early next year for that.
Old 08-11-05, 05:40 PM

Two more reviews:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi.../sin_city.html

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/dvdre...s.php?id=10777
Old 08-11-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Film restoration expert Robert Harris just gave this DVD a ringing endorsement over at HTF. I'm putting my faith in him and Randy Miller that this is indeed a great looking disc. I'll be picking up this disc and will double dip later and unload this copy to my brother. Thanks for the review Randy.
Old 08-12-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

No problem. Glad I'm in the same category as a film restoration expert!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.