Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Alien vs. Predator Extended Unrated - 11.22.05

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alien vs. Predator Extended Unrated - 11.22.05

Fox will release a two-disc Alien Vs. Predator: Unrated Edition on November 22nd. Here are all the details. Disc One will feature a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround tracks. The unrated cut will be presented via seamless branching and will include the added scenes "Antarctica 1904," "Argument," "Chamber of Skulls," "Sacrifice," "Weyland's Death" & "Predator Ritual." Extras will include a commentary track with Paul W.S. Anderson, Lance Henriksen and Sanaa Lathan, along with a second track featuring Alec Gillis, Tom Woodruff Jr. and John Bruno.

Over on Disc Two, look for deleted scenes with optional director's commentary (The Sister, Miller Gets Caught, & Love Scene), "Pre-Production: AVP The Beginning," "Branching Footage: ADI Workshop," "Production: AVP Production," Branching Video off of "Making of AVP" (Miniature Whaling Station, Facehuggers & Eggs, Trouble at the Mouth of the Tunnel), "Post-Production: Visual Effects Breakdown," "Licensing the Franchise: Aliens vs Predator the Comic Book," "Marketing: HBO Special," "Monsters in Miniature by Todd McFarlane," storyboard gallery, concept art and a collection of trailers.

Retail will be $26.98.
Old 08-04-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't care for this movie enough to see any extra scenes. Also, pre-planned double-dip from Sony/Columbia, typical
Old 08-04-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the first one and i'll stick with that. The movie was enjoyable but not up for upgrade for me. I'm getting a bit frustrated with these extended, unrated, SE editions that they could of released the first time and be done with it.
Old 08-04-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Saw this in the theater, thought it was a piece of shit. Announced on dvd, no way I'm getting this crap. I figuired there would be a 2DVD later on with more features and such, like many other Fox Dvd's. That's what I'm interested in.

Fox seems to be doing this alot concerning DVD's. I liked Day After Tomorrow, but didn't get the DVD 'cause the features were lacking and was sure that a better 2disc version was on the way. edit/added* Then the 2DVD version came out and I got it then, I also got the other 2 Fox 2dvd's that day. I Robot [Blind Buy] which was alright and Man On Fire [Blind Buy] which was great.

Most of these movies are not MUST HAVES [loved or not] for me to get a Barebones release knowing that there's a better one on it's way. The same thing is happening with ELEKTRA, which I saw in the Big Screen, but did not get on DVD for reasons mentioned above, so in October I will be getting the 2DVD [for J.G. ]

That is the only way I will be getting Fantastic 4, only if it's a 2DVD packed with extras. I was hoping that Mr. & Mrs. Smith was also a 2DVD [liked the movie], but it seems not, but the Unrated [if true] might sway me to get it unless...

Anyway I will be getting AVP 2DVd, so I can have all seven movies [Both Predators and Alien Saga]... Reason for getting Alien 3 and Resurrection, the 2nd DVD with the Documentaries.

Last edited by gerrythedon; 08-04-05 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Sounds good, glad I waited.
Old 08-04-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I'll be double dipping on it.Thanks for the heads up OP.
Old 08-04-05, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShagMan
I didn't care for this movie enough to see any extra scenes. Also, pre-planned double-dip from Sony/Columbia, typical
Did Sony buy Fox?

DJ
Old 08-04-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Saw this in the theater, thought it was a piece of shit. Announced on dvd, no way I'm getting this crap. I figuired there would be a 2DVD later on with more features and such, like many other Fox Dvd's. That's what I'm interested in.

Anyway I will be getting AVP 2DVd, so I can have all seven movies [Both Predators and Alien Saga]... Reason for getting Alien 3 and Resurrection, the 2nd DVD with the Documentaries.
Confused...

You think the movie is a piece of shit, but you've specifically waited to get an edition with more features? Why is there "no way" you'd buy a 1-disc edition, but you're going to buy one with more extras? So you can watch documentaries going into detail about something you hated?
Old 08-04-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad I waited.
Old 08-04-05, 04:39 PM

I traded in the previous edition a few weeks ago, because I suspected this would be announced soon. With that said, Fox is a very wealthy company. They will not lose any money by releasing the better editions at the same time as or instead of the bare bones editions. Fox is gouging the customers and contributing to one of the major problems with the DVD industry.

Last edited by fryinpan1; 08-04-05 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
Glad I waited.
Wish I had. I did with Man On Fire, Day After Tomorrow & I, Robot & it paid off with great 2 discers & 3 F4 tickets. I'll be double dipping on this one. Does anyone know how much longer the EE will be?
Old 08-04-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The commentaries are carried over from the original disc (good), but no new track for the unrated cut? I think everything else is being carried over as well. Will pick this up to complete my Alien collection.
Old 08-04-05, 04:51 PM

It seems that ALL fox release these days are getting double dips. I havent bought a new fox release sins getting screwed with I-Robot. And dont plan on it for a while. I just cant support this sort of thing.

If only they'd announce these things in advance i'd be happy. At least some companies care enough about the consumer to make the announcements before release (i.e. Sin City), and those are the companies i will support.
Old 08-04-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
Sounds good, glad I waited.

Yep.
Old 08-04-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What!!!!!! A 2-disc release of this movie?

Old 08-04-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've already had this 2-disc edition for several months...just bought the R3 version.

The extended version is only a few minutes longer, with nothing too exciting. The extras on disc 2 are pretty good.
Old 08-04-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

R3
Old 08-04-05, 05:50 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

suprise suprise.
Old 08-04-05, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So this is not going to be more graphic or anything and just a cheat 'unrated' version where they toss in stuff that the director cut out with good reason?

I hear conflicting reports regarding the making of the film. The FX artists claimed in Fangoria there is no way the film will be PG-13 and it'd be pretty graphic. Then it was released with a PG-13. Then the director claims the studio decided at the last minute to go with a PG-13 and butchured the film. Then it's found out he was lying his ass off and the film was made with the intent of being PG-13.

So who is telling the truth here? Color me confused.
Old 08-04-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

didn't the director say that there wasn't much deleted footage. I remember way back in the movie thread, when everyone was complaining about the R cut not happening that he didn't have any more footage to insert....

someone needs to dig through the movies thread
Old 08-04-05, 08:28 PM

That's what I remember Cameron. I distinctly remember reading where Paul Anderson said that there was a "lot" of info cut from the film to make it a PG-13 and those elements would be reinserted with the DC of AVP. Somebody's straight up lying.
Old 08-04-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 08-04-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Confused...

You think the movie is a piece of shit, but you've specifically waited to get an edition with more features? Why is there "no way" you'd buy a 1-disc edition, but you're going to buy one with more extras? So you can watch documentaries going into detail about something you hated?
yeah pretty much, wrote it clearly. The documenteries on the ALIEN movies were GREAT, even if Part 3 and Resurrection werent that good. Figuired I might as well get them , cause originally I only had 1 & 2.

The same instance with the new Batman boxset, most people are gonna get the box, even though Batman & Robin was a piece of shit.

on AVP, okay take off the first 2 sentences of the first paragraph (original post). I didn't know U loved the movie so much.
Old 08-04-05, 09:10 PM
Cool New Member

AVP Director's Interview

Here is a copy of the Director's interview copied from the movie thread.

Link
Paul WS Anderson interview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul WS Anderson interview:

About the studio's cutting of the film, which he had no control over, he said, and I quote, "All of the best scenes were cut." Anderson was obviously very annoyed at the way the film was released. However, this was not purely because of the PG-13 limitation, which incidentally, the studio enforced THREE WEEKS before the release date! It was always going to be R until then. Part of the reason for the cutting was that some of the effects were not ready by the time the release date came around. The effects team had very little time to do anything.

As far as the content that was cut, apparently we see all those who die, die on screen, but he also said that there is a sub-plot that we will have to wait for on DVD. Yes there will be an R-rated Director's cut DVD although they don't know the release date yet.

Without saying anything that could dig his own grave, Anderson tactfully pinned the fault of the poor quality of the film on the studio's cut. We all know that the script and performances was not quite up to par either, but then it was time for me to ask my first question.

"What specifically, makes you [Anderson] such a fan of the original 6 films?"

He went on to say that he thought they each had their own unique voice and were incredibly creative within a genre that often leads to purely formulaic films (ahem, mate, this is you!). He said that he was attempting to add his own unique voice to the series while paying hommage to the original source material. He also thought that the creatures, were the two greatest inventions in Science Fiction history. Someone then said, "Beyond lightsabers?" and he replied, "yes, even beyond lightsabers."

Some other effects questions were asked, which had some cool insights. The explosion sequence encompassed for half the budget, which was only 65mil in the first place (for a film like this, this is nothing), and all the shifting of the walls, yes ALL OF IT, was completely CGI. There were no moving live sets. Having watched it again, I have to say, I couldn't tell, and all my friends know that if there's some CG in a film, I'll see it. That impressed me. Also, they changed the appearance of the Queen slightly, adding a ridge to her crown and taking away, what they call, the "high heals" that she wore (the second reverse knee). Also, 80% of all the shots with an Alien in it was the hydraulic Alien they built.

Anyway, effects aside, I asked another question.

"I know that the AVP project has been surrounded by controversy since the first attempt in the early nineties. Why did you choose to not use any of the pre-existing stories, the original comic series, the Peter Briggs script, etc?"

He told me that he wanted to make the film his own. He also proclaimed that he'd had the idea for this film ever since seeing Predator 2. I thought that was probably ego-driven BS, but regardless, it's what he said. He also said that the Peter Briggs script is completely off-limits, shelved indefinately by Dark Horse and they won't let anyone tough it. Sounds to me like he tried, heh heh.

Later I asked some technical nerd questions. I wasn't the only one. I started by stating that I noticed some glaring continuity errors between this film and the pre-established occurences in the previous 6 films. Anderson stopped me before I could continue and said due to the "mangling" of the film, there was a lot left out. I asked, "Does that include the acceleration of the alien life cycle or was that just conveniant."

Whoops, I had hit a nerve. He shook his head. "No, no, the machine that the Predators built to house the Queen pumps her full of hormones that accelerate the birth of the creatures. If we'd seen the REAL film, we'd know that."

The answer to why Aliens attacked the incubated predator was that the alien inside the Predator was not sanctified by the Aliens because it was essentially a different species due to the DNA reflex the Alien's possess. Okay, I guess I could go with that.

The Q&A wrapped up with talks about the digital intermediate and the difference between working with Super35 and Anamorphic.

I tried asking a last question but they ended it before I could. I pretty much hogged the Q&A as it was.

Afterwards I went and shook Anderson's hand. He remembered me from a mutual acquaintances birthday party. I told him I couldn't wait for the Director's Cut and was really nice. I asked about a sequal and he said he'd thought about it but nothing concrete was in motion. They were waiting to see about the returns. I told him I had what he neede and I would send him my treatment through CAA. I assured him it was a direct sequal and he said, "Good." I then said, so they're letting you have a Director's cut, huh? He said, "yeah, it'll be great." Then I said, "can I give you some advice from the youngest generation of filmmakers, namely, me." He said, "Sure, go for it." I said, "The facehuggers are fast, damn fast, get rid of the matrix shot when they jump out of the eggs for the first time." He said he'd take that into consideration. Then I started talking about the reviews. I talked about IMDB and how much of a "Lover Versus Haters" war had erupted. He seemed amused by that and then said,
to my surprise, well, as a filmmaker, I'm satisfied with the film, but as a fan of the originals, this cut really pisses me off, so it makes sense I guess." he said he'd check it out (the IMDB boards) but I can't gaurantee that will happen.

Last edited by forum-troll; 08-04-05 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Link for the original interview
Old 08-04-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Fox is a very wealthy company. They will not lose any money by releasing the better editions at the same time as or instead of the bare bones editions. Fox is gouging the customers and contributing to one of the major problems with the DVD industry.
What are they gouging the customers of if not money? I mean, if they wouldn't lose money, clearly they must be gouging the customers of something other than money, right? I'm no fan of big corporations (and Fox even less so), but it's hardly fair to blame *them* exclusively for the problem. If consumers didn't double-dip, on movies they acknowledge are bad no less, the companies wouldn't do this. Didn't Paul Reiser say something about it all being about money? Probably.

Also, the previous release was hardly barebones. Just because this one has more extras doesn't mean the first one had none. It seemed like a pretty decent release.

As to the other point in this thread, I had assumed that Anderson had been lying ... which still might be true. But now I'm leaning towards the "it was always going to be PG-13" thing being the lie, and that the company supported that lie so that people would buy the initial release, thinking it would be the best one. If that were the case -- which I don't know; it could just as easily be another BS "unrated" cut -- then I would agree with fryinpan that such behavior is deplorable. But I still maintain, if people weren't so eager to buy better versions of worse movies, companies would be less anxious to release them. Remember when they used to *hesitate* to double-dip, thinking people would never go for it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.