DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set: Nov. 15th

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set: Nov. 15th

From TVShowsOnDVD.com:

"Whoa, these past few weeks have brought some news about big box sets, but this one takes the cake. Fox has announced plans to release the complete run of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in a 40 disc limited-edition box set releasing on November 15 (the same day as the complete Friends set).

You'll get the previously released 7 seasons of Buffy (39 discs), plus a special bonus disc containing a brand new documentary featuring Joss Whedon. Each box will be individually numbered, and will contain a signed letter from Joss Whedon, and a comprehensive book filled with episode listings and memorable Buffy quotes. This will set you back a suggested price of $199.98.

Annoyed by this new set because you already have the seven seasons? Here's a quick suggestion; dump your current sets on eBay right now. Amazon.com is selling all 7 seasons in a package for a suggested price of $399.86, and their price of $231.01 (big savings). When this set hits stores it'll likely go for $140, so if you could get $120-$150 for the sets on eBay then you'll be laughing when you pick up this special boxed set. If you've never sold on eBay then go into a local DVD store that deals in used DVDs and see how much they'll give you for all 7 seasons."

In my opinion, re-releasing movies is one thing...this new trend of re-releasing entire TV series is another, less acceptable thing. Sigh...
Old 08-03-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
The only way I'd consider updating to this new set is if the latter seasons were anamorphic widescreen...like they're supposed to be!
Old 08-03-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You got to be fucking kidding me. Ren & Stimpy, Sex & the City, and now this??? Nice.
Old 08-03-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After a bit more thought, this might be worth selling off the current series and buying the new one...after all, I highly doubt that they will be selling this Complete Series in a box the size of all seven current seasons. Perhaps they'll be going to slim cases for a much more compact box.

However, as I said before, I'm really not keen on this new thing of re-releasing entire series with special boxes and content. Talk about greedy.
Old 08-03-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With studios pissy over lackluster sales over season one releases, they certainly are not giving people great motivation to buy season sets right away, are they? First they scrap series all together and never put out subsequent sets, and now they are doing this crap. What gives??

As somebody who never bought anything after season three of Buffy, I will be looking into this for sure. It might be out for the fall/winter 20% off sale at our favorite online retailer as well.
Old 08-03-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The only way I'd consider updating to this new set is if the latter seasons were anamorphic widescreen...like they're supposed to be!
The R2 UK Limited Box set had them anamorphic last year. Grabbed one for myself It came with the book and the Joss Whedon letter. Doesn't have the extra disc though

Last edited by matome; 08-03-05 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
The R2 UK Limited Box set had them anamorphic last year. Grabbed one for myself It came with a book and a Joss Whedon letter.

What about a bonus DVD?
Old 08-03-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^
Is it supposed to be stacked vertically? Or does it work horizontally, like on a normal shelf?
Old 08-03-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Whedon has stated on many occasions about how buffy was always intended (with the exception of "once more with feeling) in full screen
Old 08-03-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
^
Is it supposed to be stacked vertically? Or does it work horizontally, like on a normal shelf?
Vertically:

Old 08-03-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hm...that is nice...but hopefully, the R1 version will be horizontal. How is the booklet?
Old 08-03-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The R2 set also had the "Previouslies..." I have a feeling the R1 box will just be the current discs repackaged, so they won't be on there and neither will the widescreen seasons.
Old 08-03-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Hm...that is nice...but hopefully, the R1 version will be horizontal. How is the booklet?
Never really read the booklet to be honest, but it was relatively thick with about 80 pages or so. Fit nicely on top of the case stack.
Old 08-03-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
What about a bonus DVD?
No Bonus DVD, alas this set is only 39 discs.
Old 08-03-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matome
The R2 set also had the "Previouslies..." I have a feeling the R1 box will just be the current discs repackaged, so they won't be on there and neither will the widescreen seasons.
If it had Previouslies and an anamorphic OMWF I'd almost consider it. As it is, I will continue to enjoy my regular season sets. It's a great deal for people who haven't bought in yet, though.
Old 08-03-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sweet. Haven't got around to picking up this series yet. Looks like it's a good thing that I waited!
Old 08-03-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
You can probably thank me for this set coming out. I think Joss Whedon personally waited until I bought all the season sets before coming out with a double dip Though at least there doesn't seem to be anything new or better about this, besides a different case, booklet, and price.

I can't wait until Paramount starts double-dipping on those uber-expensive Star Trek sets -- to see the outrage of the die-hards and maybe have the sets lower to a price I'd buy them at. Since they're on Enterprise now, you know the DVD-on-TV income is about to start drying up dramatically for them.
Old 08-03-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll stick with my sets as they are,i like having the different colored boxes
Old 08-03-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Damed
Sweet. Haven't got around to picking up this series yet. Looks like it's a good thing that I waited!
Me too! I never watched Buffy regularly, but I usually liked what I did see. I became a fan of the last few seasons of Angel, and then Firefly. So I've been thinking about starting to get the Buffy season sets. This is exactly what I need!
Old 08-03-05, 05:44 PM

Here's the important question:

Will this be released before or after the DDD X-Mas sale?
Old 08-03-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee
I can't wait until Paramount starts double-dipping on those uber-expensive Star Trek sets -- to see the outrage of the die-hards and maybe have the sets lower to a price I'd buy them at.
You realize that's exactly what they already did with Star Trek - The Original Series?
Old 08-03-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geist
Here's the important question:

Will this be released before or after the DDD X-Mas sale?
After now that you asked, probably not!

Last edited by calhoun07; 08-03-05 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
Though at least there doesn't seem to be anything new or better about this, besides a different case, booklet, and price.
... and bonus disc.
Old 08-03-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry, no Buffy widescreen

While "Angel," the "Buffy" spin-off, continues to be aired in widescreen on The WB, Whedon doesn't envision the same for "Buffy" on UPN.

"I like the idea that 'Buffy' stays square. It started that way, and most TVs are still square. Whereas 'Angel,' I think of as a dark, melodramatic film, I think of 'Buffy' as a comforting TV show, even though it's the darkest, bleakest world, and I want to keep it that way."

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...729|1|,00.html
Old 08-03-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Awesome! Since my wife is missing 4 series, this is going to be a way better deal. And right in time for the holidays so it will be a nice present. Just need to sell off the three she already has.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.