Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HD Cable box - odd problem

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 02:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least I *think* it's an odd problem, it's possible that I just don't understand how the darn thing is supposed to work!

Anyway, I've now got my Comcast HD cable box hooked up to my X1. The X1 doesn't have the three wire component input, so I'm using a component to 15-pin video coverter to input the signal. When I'm watching HD channels, everything works great. If I try to select non-HD channels, I don't get a picture though. I've found that I can get both HD and non-HD channels if I use the s-video connection, but that would be a bit of a waste.

Any idea if this box should be producing output for both HD and non-HD channels through the component output?
Old 08-03-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, my dad's Comcast HD DVR cable box does. Outputs whatever channel he picks on the component output to his HDTV. Svideo is active at the same time downconverted, too, IIRC.

He had the non-DVR version for a couple days since they are idiots, too. As I recall, it worked just fine for all channels, too.

I'd have to be more familiar with it to have a suggestion, though. Maybe there's a menu setting.
Old 08-03-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wait, how does it work with the component-Svideo DIN7 adapter for the X1? Maybe the PJ doesn't accept SDTV over HD15 connection?
Old 08-03-05, 09:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Spiky
Wait, how does it work with the component-Svideo DIN7 adapter for the X1? Maybe the PJ doesn't accept SDTV over HD15 connection?
Eek, that might be it!

VGA port: 1080i, 720p, 576p, 480p... now if I can find something that tells me how the box outputs SDTV.
Old 08-03-05, 09:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

Bingo! The box has a setting for SDTV output, which defaulted to 480i. It's now on 480p and all the channels are working!

Thanks for the input Spiky.
Old 08-04-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No problem.

Man, if it wasn't for the online HT community, I'd be an idiot with Pro Logic and an overpriced TV. I just had a great suggestion for my IR setup from someone over at Remote Central that I'm going to try this weekend. It is so obvious, but I never would have thought of it.

I can just imagine being in the business, dealing with J6P who couldn't figure stuff like this out even with detailed instructions. I'd shoot myself.