Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is Desparate Housewives worth a semi-blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 12:32 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only saw the pilot episode but it seemed interesting. I was thinking of picking it up on sale when it first comes out since I have a bit of extra cash in the budget but was wondering if the rest of the season is worth it? Opinions anyone?
Old 08-03-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say go for it, if you liked the first episode. The rest of the season carries that intrigue...and early on, it'll hold a good chunk of it's resale value (should you decide not to keep it). If you liked the first episode, yeah, blind-buy the set.

-JP
Old 08-03-05, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll go the opposite way and say no. I liked the show early on, but about halfway through the season I relaized I hated almost all the main characters. There was just no one to root for, so I found myself caring about the show less and less.
Old 08-03-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say yeah, if you are interested enough in it then go ahead and purchase it, watch it, and sell or trade it. I am not even a huge fan of of the show but I did watch the whole season and I have to say it held my attention. I doubt it would have much replay value for me though.
Old 08-03-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
It is a good show with intriguing characters and a good overall mystery arc. I would recommend getting Lost or Veronica Mars over DH, because I feel that they were better shows last year with Veronica Mars being the best show of the season and Lost second.

Last edited by lwhy?; 08-03-05 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-03-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
...about halfway through the season I relaized I hated almost all the main characters. There was just no one to root for
Oddly enough I felt the same way, but I still liked the show quite a bit.

I vote: blind buy!
Old 08-03-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I'll go the opposite way and say no. I liked the show early on, but about halfway through the season I relaized I hated almost all the main characters. There was just no one to root for, so I found myself caring about the show less and less.
I think this review is a little off. Part of the issues I had with this show was the "waiting game" you had to do as they spaced out the entire season from September through May. I think if you simply pour through all the episodes at your own pace (most likely very QUICKLY as the show heats up), you will see that the entire season is great start to finish. Without a doubt, it would be a decent blind.
Old 08-03-05, 08:38 AM

Hmmm, I vote Netflix. If that's not an option, then I suggest passing on it (or blind-buying, then reselling). I kind of liked the show early on, then got sick of it...by the last few months of the season, I slowly went from leaving it on as Sunday night background noise, to not watching it at all.

If you must blind-buy one of last season's new shows, I second going with Veronica Mars.

Last edited by areacode212; 08-03-05 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-03-05, 08:44 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's worth a blind buy, but Veronica Mars would rate a higher recommendation from me too.
Old 08-03-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If in doubt I would netflix it as well. If you think you might like it go ahead and pick it up and watch it.
Old 08-03-05, 10:04 AM

I watched the season as it aired and enjoyed it. I'll tune in to season 2. But I don't think it's something that holds up for repeat viewings, so I won't be buying the DVD.

Now, the other ABC show I watch regularly, Lost, I'll definitely be getting.
Old 08-03-05, 10:17 AM

I can't really stand the show. I'd say rent or borrow the first disc and see if it's to your taste.
Old 08-03-05, 10:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I can't comment on Veronica Mars as I haven't seen it (it will be a blind buy for me), but I do recommend DH as I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old 08-03-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is not the brilliantly transgressive show you may have been led to believe it is. A rental, at best. After viewing the first half of the season, my wife was compelled to stick with it to the bitter end, and I was compelled to follow suit, even though we both ultimately regretted wasting that time. I think this wrap-up review of the whole season fairly well sums up the show's many weaknesses, and what I came to detest about (if I can even say that I worked up an emotion that strong for something as irrelevant and disposable as this program): http://slate.msn.com/id/2119399/
Old 08-03-05, 10:53 AM

netflix
Old 08-03-05, 11:20 AM

My wife and I both enjoyed the show as we watched it via TiVo through the season. I didn't find it "compelling" (as in "must... watch... next... episode... NOW!"), but I expect that, as with any series with ongoing plotlines and unsolved mysteries, it would be more compelling if watched uninterrupted via DVD.

It's clever and funny, and I found some of the characters to be sympathetic and interesting. It under-sells itself to some extent: it combines a number of unusual narrative devices and off-the-wall plot elements with a production style that's overtly conventional, which tends to disguise how subversive it really is.

Whether via purchase or Netflix, I could imagine really enjoying blasting through the entire season of this series without having to wait a week or several between episodes.

RichC
Old 08-03-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
What other shows do you like or have liked in the past? I really enjoy DH, but I know it is not for everyone.
Old 08-03-05, 12:21 PM
Banned

I am definetly getting this, along with "Lost", "The O.C" and "24".
Old 08-03-05, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
This is not the brilliantly transgressive show you may have been led to believe it is. A rental, at best. After viewing the first half of the season, my wife was compelled to stick with it to the bitter end, and I was compelled to follow suit, even though we both ultimately regretted wasting that time. I think this wrap-up review of the whole season fairly well sums up the show's many weaknesses, and what I came to detest about (if I can even say that I worked up an emotion that strong for something as irrelevant and disposable as this program): http://slate.msn.com/id/2119399/
Thanks for the review. I had considered checking out the show as a blind buy, but after seeing how banal the writing is, I'll skip it.
Old 08-03-05, 01:04 PM

Yeah, that review was spot-on. I'll most likely be skipping out on the second season. It would help if there was a character on the show that I actually liked and rooted for, but like Mr. Salty, I loathed pretty much everyone halfway through the season.
Old 08-03-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalvin
I am definetly getting this, along with "Lost", "The O.C" and "24".
Hey, someone with similar tastes as me...these are all on my list two - with 24 the only one I've seen ALL the episodes of last season.
Old 08-03-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would rent it.
Old 08-03-05, 05:21 PM

Netflix, better to be safe than spend 40 bucks on something you hate
Old 08-03-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can imagine buying it, starting to watch it and thinking wow you hit pay dirt, and then slowly realizing that you made a terrible, terrible mistake. That is at least how I felt while watching it. Hence, I would stick with netflix for this one, especially with all the good stuff coming out between now and the end of the year.
Old 08-04-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't say the show sucks, but I wouldn't own a DVD of it. I couldn't see myself going back to it over and over agin, like Six Feet Under or The Munsters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.