Reload this Page >

Holy Carp - That Everquest is Addictive

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Holy Carp - That Everquest is Addictive

Old 08-01-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy Carp - That Everquest is Addictive aka WOW vs EQ2

For the past few years, I've heard about EQ and how it is the greatest game ever.. I always thought it was just for role playing nerds (no offense) and I ususally prefer sports/action games.. Well, I d\led the 7 day trial and finally got a video card that will run it... holy carp is that addictive.. I just played 3 hrs and barely blinked.. I know a lot of people laugh at 3 hrs and probably do close to 12 at a shot, but I was totally zoned in... I can't decide if I will purchase the thing after 7 days or if I should delete it from my computer right now... I have an addictive personality and could totally see myself playing all the time.

Last edited by j123vt_99; 08-07-05 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-01-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a computer that can handle it, I recommend trying EQ2. They made many, many improvements over the original. I honestly can't ever see myself going back to EQ after playing EQ2.
Old 08-01-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts
EQ was always fun for me. I played 2 years and then finally quit. That was like 3 years ago. I have been wanting to try WoW and EQ2, but don't want to get sucked in again. I might download the free EQ2 trial, though.
Old 08-02-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know how it is, I got sucked into DAOC for about 6 months, I used to play it with a roomate for hours on end, then I swore the game off and quit because I got tired of the grinding, even though I really liked the RVR (PVP). I never made it to 50. Then I picked it up a year or so later, and got sucked in for another 3 months after I graduated from college.

I recently picked up WOW, but I haven't really got sucked in, I haven't really played in the last month and I am thinking of quitting. I just don't have the time for an MMORPG anymore, and I have so many other single player games that I enjoy. I think I am not as addicted to WOW because it doesn't have many of the grinding, obssesive/compulsive characteristics of DAOC, but it's funny, it's because of those things that I quit DAOC. It may also be because I have a real job now, and I can't just sleep through or skip class because of a marathon MMOPRG session like I did in school.
Old 08-02-05, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eh, get WoW... I've played quite a few of these with demos or more long term. WoW is definately the best i've played up till now
Just a heads up. The new Pc Gamer magazine i think it is has a 14 day free demo of WoW on the disc if anyone wanted to try it.
Old 08-02-05, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sorry.. i did d\l eqII.. might have to try WOW

Couple of things:

1)It is annoying to go back and forth dozens of times through quests.. I felt like half the time I was sprinting to get to one destination from another

2) With a limited inventory, I find it confusing to figure out what to keep and what to discard.. For example I got a note from some guy.. I don't think it is worth anything, but I would hate to get rid of it in case I need it for some quest in the future

3) In EQII trial version, can you keep your character if you pay for the retail version?

Last edited by j123vt_99; 08-02-05 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-02-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

you aren't that guy who posted a thread a few months ago asking if he should play this game because he was worried about becoming addicted are you?
Old 08-02-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
sorry.. i did d\l eqII.. might have to try WOW

Couple of things:

1)It is annoying to go back and forth dozens of times through quests.. I felt like half the time I was sprinting to get to one destination from another

2) With a limited inventory, I find it confusing to figure out what to keep and what to discard.. For example I got a note from some guy.. I don't think it is worth anything, but I would hate to get rid of it in case I need it for some quest in the future

3) In EQII trial version, can you keep your character if you pay for the retail version?
2. You can find/buy bags to hold stuff. You actually can get a rather huge amount of space to store stuff later on if you have the funds.
3. Yes, I believe you keep your character.
Old 08-02-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Outlaw
you aren't that guy who posted a thread a few months ago asking if he should play this game because he was worried about becoming addicted are you?

nope.. although i did read that thread
Old 08-02-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Everquest? Don't you mean Evercrack?
Old 08-04-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn
2. You can find/buy bags to hold stuff. You actually can get a rather huge amount of space to store stuff later on if you have the funds.
3. Yes, I believe you keep your character.

how do you know if the stuff you get is worth keeping? not talking about weapons, but notes\maps
Old 08-04-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
how do you know if the stuff you get is worth keeping? not talking about weapons, but notes\maps
Just examine EVERYTHING you loot if you're not sure (right click on the item). Some items start a quest, some are worth selling, some are vendor trash.

You can also check in town with the broker (where players buy/sell stuff) to see if an item is worth selling.
Old 08-05-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,247 Likes on 719 Posts
I highly recommend WoW over EQ2. I've played both, and WoW is a far superior game in my opinion.. and this comes from someone who played EQ in Beta and then for 4 years.
Old 08-07-05, 03:24 AM

Yep i was addicted myself, but WoW is a hundred times better (dont mean to thread crap)
Old 08-07-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Heartagram
Yep i was addicted myself, but WoW is a hundred times better (dont mean to thread crap)

No.. I appreciate it.. before i get involved in 1 game, I want to know recommendations... I guess I will pick up the WOW 14 day trial and just decide after that
Old 08-07-05, 12:49 PM

I used the WoW 14-day DVD from PC Gamer, and good lord am I glad that the trial is over. Now I can have my life back, along with a healthy amount of sleep each night. It's so unbelievably addictive, especially once you pick up a profession. I played a Night Elf Rogue, with skinning/leatherworking, and it's like, you feel compelled to skin more & more animals, so you can get more leather, to make more leather armor, so you can raise your leatherworking skill, so you can make even better armor, etc. It's an awesome game, but I don't know if I can handle MMORPG addiction. I only got up to level 18, which is disappointing because I wanted to see what poisons were like.

Though, for some reason, playing this game has compelled me to pull out Diablo II from the back of my shelf (haven't played in 3-4 years).
Old 08-08-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have a computer that can handle it, I recommend trying EQ2. They made many, many improvements over the original. I honestly can't ever see myself going back to EQ after playing EQ2.
I strong recommend you do exact opposite Its like living in real immersive world vs drab soulless shell. Real makers of EQ are working on Vanguard, very likely the real EQ2.
Old 08-08-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

picked up the WOW trial today.. not sure when I will start it.. I'm going to be travelling on business all next week and will only have a crappy laptop... of course I guess I could bring my whole PC and monitor with me... hmmmm
Old 08-08-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by madara
I strong recommend you do exact opposite Its like living in real immersive world vs drab soulless shell. Real makers of EQ are working on Vanguard, very likely the real EQ2.
*shrug* To each his own. It doesn't really matter though, as WoW is a much better game than either of the two.

From what I read Vanguard doesn't sound like anything different or special compared to any other MMORPG.
Old 08-09-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

*shrug* To each his own. It doesn't really matter though, as WoW is a much better game than either of the two.

From what I read Vanguard doesn't sound like anything different or special compared to any other MMORPG.
Hehe Flash I guess I throw that to each there own right back at you. You may want to read Vanguard or Foh boards on why great many mmorpg players feel that their is market for coming Vanguard(See as last hope for mmorpg market now), a more immersive game without hand holding, better community and actual rewards to skilled players. But if you can play Wow for more then 3 months at this point and are not bored, hey all power to you, that truely sounds like its the game for ya. Obviously it works for alot casual or first timer players. There no harm in that, just as long as not all coming MMORPG adopt this policy. That is why Vanguard is so important to alot folks, Brad knows what makes you truely feel your avatar and surroundings.
I'm getting close to threadcrapping and I so try not do that I just wanted to agree with original OP about the original EQ magic and drop over to Vanguard if want chat with like minds on that.
Old 08-09-05, 12:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by madara
You may want to read Vanguard or Foh boards on why great many mmorpg players feel that their is market for coming Vanguard(See as last hope for mmorpg market now), a more immersive game without hand holding, better community and actual rewards to skilled players.
I always love it when a game is in pre-Beta stages. It can do no wrong, and MMORPG fans latch onto it as the next Messiah. Then, finally folks get to play it, and reality sets in.

But yeah, I heard that Vanguard includes a free monthly massage with every subscription.
Old 08-10-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ROFL groucho of all people, just because I agree about your opinions threads you come and hunt me down! Haha.
Aye Vanguard may very well end up only being 1/100th of what people want it too be. That is not my point. Reading its faq, you understand its foundation and what Brad is aiming for, which is totally different then lastest trend of fast food mmorpgs. Even if he somehow missfires, the foundation will be solid, the "secret sauce" for those that like a deeper skill rewarding MMROPG will be present in some form. That all I saying to original OP that enjoy EQ1, its not for all people, especially those that are casuals and needs instance rewards in 1 hour period to feel they are making progress.
Old 08-10-05, 09:51 PM

after reading all the posts in this thread I think I now see why people play these games till their bodies cant take it anymore, like that guy in korea the other day who played for 50 hours straight then died.
Old 08-12-05, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod
I highly recommend WoW over EQ2. I've played both, and WoW is a far superior game in my opinion.. and this comes from someone who played EQ in Beta and then for 4 years.
Personally, I think that EQII is a much, much better game. It's just way more deeper than WoW is. There is much more to do in EQII than there is to WoW. The only reason why WoW is more popular is because it's Blizzard, it's pretty, and it's easy to get into. I've played WoW since closed beta, and although it was fun the first time around, it got old pretty darn fast. Once you hit 60 there really isn't much to do other than wait around for instance runs or battlegrounds. While the PvP system sounds good on paper, I really don't like that people can just keep on corpse camping a player again and again. That takes the fun out of the game. Oh, and did I mention that Blizzard has the worst customer support ever? The sad part of that is, people still go back and play the game even when the support was non-existant. EQII's graphics may be ugly to some, but in the end, the gameplay is way deeper and tailored towards players that are more traditional RPGers. WoW seems a bit more towards the action RPGers. However, the best way to find out is to try both out yourself. Nobody can choose which game you like for you.
Old 08-12-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kaiyouske
Personally, I think that EQII is a much, much better game. It's just way more deeper than WoW is. There is much more to do in EQII than there is to WoW. The only reason why WoW is more popular is because it's Blizzard, it's pretty, and it's easy to get into. I've played WoW since closed beta, and although it was fun the first time around, it got old pretty darn fast. Once you hit 60 there really isn't much to do other than wait around for instance runs or battlegrounds. While the PvP system sounds good on paper, I really don't like that people can just keep on corpse camping a player again and again. That takes the fun out of the game. Oh, and did I mention that Blizzard has the worst customer support ever? The sad part of that is, people still go back and play the game even when the support was non-existant. EQII's graphics may be ugly to some, but in the end, the gameplay is way deeper and tailored towards players that are more traditional RPGers. WoW seems a bit more towards the action RPGers. However, the best way to find out is to try both out yourself. Nobody can choose which game you like for you.
And uh, what exactly can you do once you hit 50 in EQII (or 60 once the expansion comes out). Last I checked it only included raiding. So WoW already has more than EQII when it comes to end game content.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.