Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Alexander Poll

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Which version are you getting?
Alexander Theatrical Cut
73.03%
Alexander Directors Cut
31.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Which Alexander Poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-05, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Alexander Poll

Which Alexander version are you getting?

Last edited by mike01; 07-31-05 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 04:42 PM

The theatrical, which I actually liked quite a bit. I may Netflix the "director's cut" at some point for the curiosity factor, but I think it's unfortunate that that Stone felt the need to cater to the red staters (especially since his belief that the film bombed because of its gay content is probably misguided).
Old 07-31-05, 04:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Maybe you need a 'both' and 'neither' option in the poll.

I'll probably rent one (or both) before I decide, and will probably use this poll as a gauge as to which to rent first.
Old 07-31-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mookyman
I may Netflix the "director's cut" at some point for the curiosity factor, but I think it's unfortunate that that Stone felt the need to cater to the red staters (especially since his belief that the film bombed because of its gay content is probably misguided).
I think it's funny that so many people believed one out of context quote instead of waiting for the actual release.

From Entertainment Weekly this week:
"[W]hile eight minutes have been snipped from the wayward epic, rumors that the Macedonian conqueror would emerge miraculously hetero prove unfounded. ... No, as Stone himself explains in his painstakingly informative/discursive/batty commentary, the intent was to restructure Alexander so that the hero's fraught Greek childhood with battling parents runs more clearly in parallel with his later conquests of Babylon and on and on."

That said, if you watched the theatrical cut and were told that the homosexuality had been severely cut back, you'd believe it, because it's barely there. That's what made it so funny when Stone blamed that for the movie's failure.

My answer to the poll: I'm mildly curious about the director's cut, enough that if somebody offered to pay me to take a copy and put it on my shelf, I might consider it. Otherwise, nothing, thanks.
Old 07-31-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i may rent it to see what its about, but wont be buying it as there are far to many other movies i want first
Old 07-31-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'll probably get the theatrical version from CH some day just in order to be able to see it........
Old 07-31-05, 05:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm going to go with the theatrical cut.
Old 07-31-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will probably give the director's cut a chance.
Old 07-31-05, 06:03 PM
Banned

The theatrical, which I actually liked quite a bit. I may Netflix the "director's cut" at some point for the curiosity factor, but I think it's unfortunate that that Stone felt the need to cater to the red staters (especially since his belief that the film bombed because of its gay content is probably misguided).
It's unfortunate that flaming Blue Staters like you continue bring up this issue, ESPECIALLY after the DVDTalk review of the director's cut actually says that the director's cut has MORE "gay" stuff in it than the theatrical cut.

The irony, and thus the problem here, is Stone's politics. Oliver Stone hasn't made a good film since, I'd argue, Platoon. JFK was about as realistic as Jet Li's ability to pull off his moves without wires. Alexander started to get bad press right off the bat from all the critics, NOT because of the gay material, but because the movie was a mess (according to the critics). I'll hold judgment until I see in a couple weeks whenever I get the DVD. Oliver blamed the failure of his movie in the American demographic because of his politics.

BTW, I live in a Blue State, but in a RED region. If it weren't for Chicago and Cook County, Illinois would have probably went Red. We in the rural sticks don't need government assistance to wipe our ass, like the city slickers apparently do.

Mod edit: Come on Mike you've been here long enough to know generalizations like that are discouraged. You're free to state your opinion on the topic but please leave the needless rhetoric out of it.

Last edited by nemein; 07-31-05 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Both.
Old 07-31-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

1 oz gin
1 oz creme de cacao
1 oz sweet cream

...though at times I get the harder gin/vodka version....

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 07-31-05 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no neither option...its rigged
Old 07-31-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
It's unfortunate that flaming Blue Staters like you continue bring up this issue, ESPECIALLY after the DVDTalk review of the director's cut actually says that the director's cut has MORE "gay" stuff in it than the theatrical cut.
I suggest you read that review again and pay attention to what is actually said in it.
Old 07-31-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
My understanding is that the Director's Cut is faster paced but even more of a convoluted mess, which I find very hard to accomplish given what I saw in theaters.

FWIW, I am a liberal and can say that Alexander bombed because quite frankly, it was a bad movie. I remember being embarrassed by Stone's comments when I read them, as I knew that meant he couldn't accept either criticism or the fact that his pet project was a piece of shit, a very well shot piece of shit, but nonetheless.

That said, I will probably get the Director's Cut because I love to watch trainwreck movies under the influence of alcohol and I found the theatrical cut way too long, so I have no reason to even entertain the notion of watching that version again. As long as it's not missing a lot of Angelina, I'm fine.
Old 07-31-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts
I'm thinking wait until they are both available for a 2 for $20 deal.
Old 07-31-05, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Can you read? I said that I thought Stone's opinion - which he has stated more than once - that the film's failure was largely due to middle America's resistance to gay themes was misguided. In other words, I don't think he's right. I was basically defending you - but you blew it.

Also, what the hell is a flaming Blue Stater? It sounds delicious.

Last edited by mookyman; 07-31-05 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I think it's funny that so many people believed one out of context quote instead of waiting for the actual release.

From Entertainment Weekly this week:
"[W]hile eight minutes have been snipped from the wayward epic, rumors that the Macedonian conqueror would emerge miraculously hetero prove unfounded. ... No, as Stone himself explains in his painstakingly informative/discursive/batty commentary, the intent was to restructure Alexander so that the hero's fraught Greek childhood with battling parents runs more clearly in parallel with his later conquests of Babylon and on and on."
From the DVD Talk review:

"The problem is that removing many bits of important character development that were deemed "too gay" by audiences has deprived other remaining scenes of their proper context. The quasi love story between Alexander and Hephaistion is still a big part of the movie, but now the scenes they have together actually seem more melodramatic than before. Rather than the intended effect of toning down that aspect of the movie, Stone has unintentionally made it more histrionic and "gay" than it previously was."

This muddies the issue. Did Stone try to make the film less "gay" and fail? Or is the "director's cut" an intentional act of defiance against the presumed demands of mainstream audiences released under the guise of a more heterosexual cut?
Old 07-31-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I voted for the Director's Cut in hopes that it's a better movie than the Theatrical Cut.
Old 07-31-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm on the fence here. I can't imagine buying it solely because the trailers looked so absolutely freakin' horrible they kept me from actually seeing the movie! I'll netflix it and decide then.
Old 07-31-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

buy the theatrical, netlix the directors cut... Im in the minority, because I really enjoyed this movie.
Old 07-31-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As of now, I shall get the Theatrical Version.

In the future, I shall probably by the DC and find someone to make a custome DVD case to make Alexander a 3-discer.
Old 07-31-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Can you read? I said that I thought Stone's opinion - which he has stated more than once - that the film's failure was largely due to middle America's resistance to gay themes was misguided. In other words, I don't think he's right. I was basically defending you - but you blew it.

Also, what the hell is a flaming Blue Stater? It sounds delicious.
You try to help him out and he makes an attack;typical of a Republican nimrod. You shouldn't be surprised.

I might Netflix one version, but this is definitely a movie that is worth owning just because it's such a trainwreck, similar to Verhoeven's Showgirls.
Old 07-31-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
You try to help him out and he makes an attack;typical of a Republican nimrod. You shouldn't be surprised.
Don't even bother with him...with ML's past history of blatant statements, misquoting, making false claims, and above all being utterly offensive to other members of the forum...including his derogatory "signatures"...I would not bother considering his claims.

BTW...Lowry...I do happen to live in Cook County...and your post is utterly offensive to me.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 08-01-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

I might Netflix one version, but this is definitely a movie that is worth owning just because it's such a trainwreck, similar to Verhoeven's Showgirls.

Oh, and name calling is so very adult. Mike may be over the top and even misguided on occasion, but the opposite side starts slinging trash just the same after he posts.

Back to the topic at hand. I am tempted to buy neither. The reviews are just so bad for this film. I will probably rent the theatrical. If I don't rent it, I may buy it when it hits the
Old 08-01-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
ML supporter here!

Oh and.... theatrical for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.