Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Religion on SG-1 and BSG

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Religion on SG-1 and BSG

The 2 big shows in Sci-Fi take religion completely differently.

SG-1 has been all about false gods since day one. And now the new super baddies are more false gods who are unleashing a crusade on all 'nonbelievers' As soon as anyone on SG-1 mentions religion, they're marked as a bad guy.

Battlestar Galactica is a lot more pro religion. Six, the main badguy(girl) is very religous and spouts scripture just about everytime she's on the screen. And the leader of the humans is a prophet who is delivering everyone to the promised land while having visions.

It's interesting to me that 2 shows on the same network, treat a subject in opposite ways.

D
Old 07-30-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
BSG is definately interesting in that regard. The humans seem obviously analogous to Moses and the Israelites. But for a twist in the action, they worship multiple gods (similar to the Egyptians) and the Cylons worship a single god (like the Israelites). It sure hints that there will be a big "something" shake down with regards to it. Should be interesting.
Old 07-30-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about that. BSG's depiction of the Cylon's religion isn't exactly blameless. After all, the Cylons are waging a holy war to eradicate the non-believers. And the pantheistic Kobol religion began with human sacrifice.

I always found it interesting that SG-1 talks about the gods of ancient religions that are no longer practiced as being evil aliens, but ancient religions that do still exist aren't even hinted about and are taken at face value.
Old 07-30-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I don't know about that. BSG's depiction of the Cylon's religion isn't exactly blameless. After all, the Cylons are waging a holy war to eradicate the non-believers. And the pantheistic Kobol religion began with human sacrifice.
Certainly the similarities aren't perfect. I just mentioned one theme that was interesting. There are certainly similarities that can be drawn between the cyclons and the Islamic terrorist relgions as well.
Old 07-30-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls

I always found it interesting that SG-1 talks about the gods of ancient religions that are no longer practiced as being evil aliens, but ancient religions that do still exist aren't even hinted about and are taken at face value.
there was a christian gould controlled planet. An Unas gould would come and basically be satan and take people
Old 07-30-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Certainly the similarities aren't perfect. I just mentioned one theme that was interesting. There are certainly similarities that can be drawn between the cyclons and the Islamic terrorist relgions as well.
Sorry about that, I was responding to Derrich.

Originally Posted by mikehunt
there was a christian gould controlled planet. An Unas gould would come and basically be satan and take people
Okay, I remember that. You're right. And I guess they have had benevolent "gods" on the show... the Asgard, for instance.