Reload this Page >

Can you clean the inside of your PS2?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-29-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 799 Likes on 589 Posts

My ps2 has been having problems reading discs. I am afraid that the laser is going out and I will have to buy a new one. I can't afford to buy a new ps2 now and I would rather wait for the ps3 to come out. Is there anything like a lens cleaner that you can use for the ps2 like you can for a dvd player? Is there still hope that I might be able to clean it and it work or am I SOL? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-05, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crack that baby open and wipe off the lens. There are instructions everywhere on the Internet on how to do this. Should take care of the problem.
Old 07-29-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You would be better off having it opened up and thoroughly cleaned by hand. A lot of dust can be pulled in there that a lens cleaner won't reach, like on the tracking arm for the lens. If it's one of the old style PS2s you can do it yourself if you have any skills for such work and aren't worried about warranty violations..
Old 07-29-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleaning the lens will probably NOT solve the problem. But then again, it can't hurt to try it. You can buy a replacement lens/motor base for about $60 on eBay (make sure you match the model of PS2 you have).. but taking apart a PS2 and replacing it is a pain in the royal ass and the likelihood that something else breaks just from opening it is high. Still, $60 is better than $150. Either way, be VERY careful when opening the PS2, most of its insides are very fragile.
Old 07-29-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought my ps2 a few years ago so all warranties are probably expired. If I used my Maxell dvd lens cleaner would it probably work?
Old 07-29-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by lwhy?
I bought my ps2 a few years ago so all warranties are probably expired. If I used my Maxell dvd lens cleaner would it probably work?
Depends on the type of disc reading error you are having. If the problem is specific to the CD-ROMs (blue disc), then the problem is with the angle of the laser. There is a white wheel inside that allows you to manually adjust the angle, but you obviously will have to take it apart to even get to it. My PS2 had this same problem a few years back; I took it apart, cleaned the lens, and adjusted the angle. The darn thing is still working today...
Old 07-29-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tried using the lens cleaner. It would not even load the material on it. The PS2 will not load ps2 games, dvds, or cds. I went into the browser area of the ps2 and it shows my memory card and then it just says loading disc and it makes a load bumping noise and never loads any discs. I had been playing NCAA Football 2006 and it looks like I probably won't be able to play it until I either fix the problem with the ps2 or buy a new system. Where can I Find information on how to crack a ps2 open?
Old 07-29-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here you go -

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/features/4...Error_Fix.html

These instructions will help you open your PS2 and adjust the laser, but the knocking noise you mentioned is something else. My nephew's PS2 made the same noise before I cleaned it.

You will likely need to vacuum out as much dust as you can, and wipe the metal sliders the laser mechanism rides on as it tracks across the disc.

Last edited by NC-36; 07-29-05 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for all the help! I am going to try to work on it tonight.
Old 07-29-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok I am working on it now and it have the ps2 splayed open, the disc tray covered removed, and the unit plugged in as in part 3 how do I eject the disc tray when the eject button is on the outside cover that I have removed.
Old 07-30-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Ok I am working on it now and it have the ps2 splayed open, the disc tray covered removed, and the unit plugged in as in part 3 how do I eject the disc tray when the eject button is on the outside cover that I have removed.
I finally figured out how to eject the disc. I cleaned everything and even adjusted the white gear and nothing is working. I believe that the laser is dvd. Whenever I start the ps2 up it goes to the browser an system settings screen and when I click on the browser all it says is reading disc. When I would play NCAA 06 and go look at the stats and the All American awards. It would take very long pauses between switching from looking at first team AA to secon team AA. I guess I will just have to wait until the ps3 comes out until I can play games. Man this really sucks