Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fox announces support for Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Fox announces support for Blu-Ray

Not that this comes as much of a surprise, but from http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...00&newsLang=en (and this is a press release, so I shouldn't be ruffling any feathers by posting this in its entirety):

Twentieth Century Fox to Support Blu-ray Disc Format; Studio to Release Wide Range of New Products and Titles from Its Vast Film and Television Library

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 29, 2005--Twentieth Century Fox, a member of the Board of Directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association since October 2004, announced today that it will release content on the new high definition Blu-ray Disc format through its subsidiary Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC. The company will begin releasing new films, TV programming and other titles from Fox's vast celebrated library of best-selling film and television programming when Blu-ray hardware launches in North America, Japan, and Europe.

Fox's film library includes films ranging from the ALIEN, DIE-HARD and X-MEN series, I, ROBOT, SOMETHING ABOUT MARY and MOULIN ROUGE to SOUND OF MUSIC, ALL ABOUT EVE, LAURA and GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT. The equally vast television library ranges from such shows as THE SIMPSONS, FAMILY GUY, 24 and X-FILES to MASH, LOST IN SPACE, IN LIVING COLOR and MARY TYLER MOORE.

Fox's commitment to emerging technologies is dedicated to enhancing the consumer experience of its products and providing for backward compatibility with their existing home entertainment libraries while also aggressively protecting its intellectual property from piracy. The Blu-ray companies fully embrace the Studio's steadfast commitment to the fight against piracy and the preservation of the integrity of its properties. In fact, Fox's commitment to publish on Blu-ray is a direct result of the organization's recent adoption of copyright protection measures, including renewable security, that address the needs and concerns of the studio and the entire Hollywood community.

"We are in creative collaboration with some of the best filmmakers in the business and the most important thing to the studio is that we continue to provide the best possible presentation of our films," commented Jim Gianopulos and Tom Rothman, Chairmen, Fox Filmed Entertainment. "Creative advances in movie-making technology have consistently helped raise the bar in films today and with the Blu-ray Disc the bar has now been raised for the home viewing experience. We will take full advantage of all the creative possibilities it offers."

"Blu-ray is a superior high definition technology that is a full step forward in the evolution of consumer packaged media," added Mike Dunn, President Worldwide, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. "For consumers, the release of our films on Blu-ray will provide in-home entertainment beyond anything they have imagined. On the business side, the advanced functionality, picture quality and data capacity at a competitive manufacturing cost along with 'room for growth' as new consumer usage options are developed, fully realizes the promise of a next generation format and represents the future of home entertainment."

Blu-ray Disc is a next generation optical disc format developed for high-definition video and high-capacity software applications. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc will hold up to 25 gigabytes of data and a dual-layer Blu-ray Disc will hold up to 50 gigabytes of data. This greater storage capacity enables the Blu-ray Disc to store over five times the amount of content than is possible with current DVDs, and is particularly well-suited for high definition feature films with extended levels of additional bonus and interactive material. Blu-ray also features the most advanced copy protection, backward compatibility with the current DVD format (meaning Blu-ray players will play existing DVDs), connectivity and advanced interactivity.

About the Blu-ray Disc Association:

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is responsible for establishing format standards and promoting and further developing business opportunities for Blu-ray Disc -- the next-generation optical disc for storing high-definition movies, photos and other digital content. The BDA has more than 130 members. Its Board of Directors consists of Apple Computer, Inc.; Dell Inc.; Hewlett Packard Company; Hitachi, Ltd.; LG Electronics Inc.; Mitsubishi Electric Corporation; Panasonic (Matsushita Electric); Pioneer Corporation; Royal Philips Electronics; Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.; Sharp Corporation; Sony Corporation; TDK Corporation; Thomson; Twentieth Century Fox; and Walt Disney Pictures and Television.

About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC:

A recognized global industry leader, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming on VHS and DVD as well as video acquisitions and original productions. Each year the Company introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets -- from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce - throughout the world. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC is a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company.
Old 07-29-05, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And the format war has just taken another step into the next theater of operations.

Until there's one decided winner, I don't see a need to jump on the bandwagon. The consumer isn't going to support two different formats, especially if they aren't interchangeable. ie. the same player will play both formats. Now if a Blu-Ray player would play HD-DVD as well, then there wouldn't be a problem.

I, myself, am caught in a bit of a caundrey here. My current player is on the verge of wearing out, both mechanically and technically. And I don't know if I should both with buying a new regular player if there's HD players just right around the corner.
Old 07-29-05, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
This one is going to be with us for quite sometime.

Does anyone honestly see players for either format hitting the market until late 2006/early 2007?
Old 07-29-05, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric F
This one is going to be with us for quite sometime.

Does anyone honestly see players for either format hitting the market until late 2006/early 2007?
Yes. HD-DVD is out this fall
Old 07-29-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
The consumer isn't going to support two different formats, especially if they aren't interchangeable. ie. the same player will play both formats. Now if a Blu-Ray player would play HD-DVD as well, then there wouldn't be a problem.
I still believe that dual-mode players aren't a good solution. Either existing format should be chosen... or a new converged-format.

I, myself, am caught in a bit of a caundrey here. My current player is on the verge of wearing out, both mechanically and technically. And I don't know if I should both with buying a new regular player if there's HD players just right around the corner.
The price of regular players is ridiculously low right now. I paid $99 for my Pioneer DV-578A PS player... it's a wonderful companion to my Tosh HDTV.

I suggest buying a regular player that you'd be happy with. If you have a player that you're satisfied with, you'll be less likely to want to jump on the HD bandwagon sooner.

I'm so pleased with my current setup that I can wait it out. Even if it means skipping the HD/Blu-Ray war altogether, and jumping on the technology after THAT.

Last edited by sracer; 07-29-05 at 01:54 PM. Reason: fixed a typo: It's a Pioneer DV-578A
Old 07-29-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Waiting on the sidelines for the winner to be decided or sense to prevail and a unified format to be announced.
Old 07-29-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sracer
The price of regular players is ridiculously low right now. I paid $99 for my Pioneer DV-568A PS player... it's a wonderful companion to my Tosh HDTV.

I'm so pleased with my current setup that I can wait it out. Even if it means skipping the HD/Blu-Ray war altogether, and jumping on the technology after THAT.
On a side note, where did you buy that player? I love my Pioneer 525 but it's starting to show it's age and I'd love to upgrade or get another companion player.

I too feel that I can wait out the format war but I'm fully convinced that Blu-Ray is the way to go.

Last edited by speedy1961; 07-29-05 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-29-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedy1961
On a side note, where did you buy that player? I love my Pioneer 525 but it's starting to show it's age and I'd love to upgrade or get another companion player.
My first Pioneer was a DV-434 (progressive scan), and was very pleased with it. When I upgraded, I moved THAT to my bedroom. The DV-578A (progressive scan as well) is head-and-shoulders above the 434, I was quite surprised. I bought the 578 at Best Buy for $99.
Old 07-29-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, myself, am caught in a bit of a caundrey here.
I'm in a quandary as to whether I should point out the spelling error in the sentence above.
Old 07-29-05, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yes. HD-DVD is out this fall
Last they said, but I wonder if we're realistically going to see players out before the holidays or not. It seems kind of late in the game for so little new information to have come out. I can certainly imagine HD-DVD winding up being delayed until early 2006.
Old 07-29-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Last they said, but I wonder if we're realistically going to see players out before the holidays or not.
Agreed. I expect they'll announce a delay within a few months. I don't expect to see anything in stores until 2006.

I have to wonder who all of these companies expect to buy their products. We are the textbook audience for this technology -- yet nearly everyone I talk to (including myself ) seems to be taking a "sitting on the sidelines" approach.

What if you released a product and no one bought it?
Old 07-29-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I won't buy unless they have inserts in them.

Oh, and the technology is backwards compatible. And cheap.
Old 07-29-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
What if you released a product and no one bought it?
You'd tout the superiority of Betamax and minidisc until they do.

I honestly don't care who wins, but I won't bother to buy until one format is the clear choice, and that won't happen until the other gives up.

Either way, I won't buy a player....I will just buy a disc drive and hook it up and play through the computer. It has served me well with regular dvds, and I expect it to continue.
Old 07-29-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Either way, I won't buy a player....I will just buy a disc drive and hook it up and play through the computer. It has served me well with regular dvds, and I expect it to continue.
I'd imagine a lot of this same copy protection will be in place with the PC versions too. Not sure what that might entail as far as buying additional hardware goes.
Old 07-29-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
If it wasn't for Divx, I would've jumped on the DVD bandwagon sooner. (Although I'm glad I didn't, otherwise I would've had a non-DTS player.) My advice is whether there's a format war or not, always wait at least until the second generation models come out. They always have better features.

I'm predicting this whole HD-DVD/Blu-ray thing turns into a catastrophic failure and just implodes. No one wins, and everyone loses. And it'll be a real shame if that's how it turns out. Consumers want this product, but the greed of the manufacturers will prevent this technology from ever being adopted by the public.
Old 07-29-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rennervision
I'm predicting this whole HD-DVD/Blu-ray thing turns into a catastrophic failure and just implodes. No one wins, and everyone loses. And it'll be a real shame if that's how it turns out. Consumers want this product, but the greed of the manufacturers will prevent this technology from ever being adopted by the public.
Unfortunately, I don't think it is going to simply implode. There are too many people out there with too much disposable income that will simply "buy both". When there is prestige on the line, companies are willing to sustain significant financial losses. Just look at Microsoft vs. Sony in the game console arena.

What will probably happen is a prolonged, lingering presence of both until some technology breakthrough renders both formats obsolete.
Old 07-29-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think it is going to simply implode. There are too many people out there with too much disposable income that will simply "buy both". When there is prestige on the line, companies are willing to sustain significant financial losses. Just look at Microsoft vs. Sony in the game console arena.
While I'm not saying you're wrong... I would ask: Where are these people?

Seriously, I don't think I've seen a single person in any of these threads that has said, "Oh well, I guess I'll have to buy both". Everyone seems to be either (a) happy with their current DVDs and not planning to upgrade at all or (b) willing to sit it out to see which format dominates.

I spent a shitload of my disposable income on home theater. I have hundreds of laserdiscs, thousands of DVDs, an HDTV, a 6.1 DTS/DD sound system, etc. I'm the posterboy for this new HD format -- they're aiming right for me. And there's no way I'm spending a single dime on this until the format war shakes out.
Old 07-29-05, 05:58 PM
Cool New Member

What bboisvert said

Like bboisvert, I have a satisfying HT setup, loads of DVDs and am content with it all. I can wait.

On another note, I have yet to talk to any of the general public who is actually aware of the conflict. To the best marketer will go the spoils.
Old 07-29-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only way i would have jumped on the Band Wagon was if FOX & WARNER BROTHER would have supported the same format
Old 07-29-05, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'd imagine a lot of this same copy protection will be in place with the PC versions too. Not sure what that might entail as far as buying additional hardware goes.
Indeed - I believe there have been reports/rumors that the new formats will require HDCP even on computer monitors to play at full resolution. I'm not aware of any monitors with this feature today. Even high end products like Apple's 30 inch 2560x1600 LCD doesn't have it.

Studio's certainly have a right to protect their property, but if the reports are true, it sound like they are going way overboard. I wonder if the studios & manufacturers will abondon owners of early HDTV sets that only have component or non-HDCP DVI? It seems that would alienate a large chunk of their early adopter crowd.
Old 07-30-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I'm not saying you're wrong... I would ask: Where are these people?
Seriously, I don't think I've seen a single person in any of these threads that has said, "Oh well, I guess I'll have to buy both". Everyone seems to be either (a) happy with their current DVDs and not planning to upgrade at all or (b) willing to sit it out to see which format dominates.
I remember more than a handful of people in previous DVDTalk threads saying that 2 formats aren't a big deal. There was another faction who simply wanted the latest and greatest media to showcase their HT setup and they didn't care. Some were saying that it all depends upon what titles are released for each format.

Perhaps those people have had some time to think about the situation and have reconsidered.

I spent a shitload of my disposable income on home theater. I have hundreds of laserdiscs, thousands of DVDs, an HDTV, a 6.1 DTS/DD sound system, etc. I'm the posterboy for this new HD format -- they're aiming right for me. And there's no way I'm spending a single dime on this until the format war shakes out.
You'd only be the posterboy for this HD format if you jumped on DVDs while it was battling with DIVX for mindshare.
Old 07-30-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

:meekly raises hand: I know it's a tremendously bad idea for many, many reasons, but I'm weak.
Old 07-30-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You'd only be the posterboy for this HD format if you jumped on DVDs while it was battling with DIVX for mindshare.
Despite what it's proponets deluded themselves into thinking, DIVX was never even close in a "battle for mindshare."

"Battle?" What battle? As soon as sales reps opened their mouths to explain the difference between DIVX and DVDs (which they had to do because consumers asked), it was over. Consumers avoided DIVX like it was the plague.

The only reason DIVX didn't appear DOA, was because it's advocates kept pumping money into it. Which they did only until the commercial stench for it's rotting corpse became so overwhelming obvious, even they couldn't ignore it any longer.
Old 07-30-05, 04:41 PM

The problem is things are moving too fast. When a winner is decided in this format war, another format will have already been devoloped and be within a year or two of hitting the market.
I've been wanting to pick up a widescren tv for about a year now, but with all the talk about new disc formats and new develoments in receiving HD signals into your home, I'm worried something I buy today will be obsolete in the next 5 years or that it won't be compatible with the newest disc format or HD/cable signal.
Old 07-30-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jon2
Despite what it's proponets deluded themselves into thinking, DIVX was never even close in a "battle for mindshare."

"Battle?" What battle? As soon as sales reps opened their mouths to explain the difference between DIVX and DVDs (which they had to do because consumers asked), it was over. Consumers avoided DIVX like it was the plague.
That was eventually true... but not when both formats were initially introduced into the consumer market. It was not a "given" that DIVX would die.

Originally Posted by Jon2
The only reason DIVX didn't appear DOA, was because it's advocates kept pumping money into it. Which they did only until the commercial stench for it's rotting corpse became so overwhelming obvious, even they couldn't ignore it any longer.
...and that was BEFORE everyone realized the market potential of DVDs. Imagine how entrenched both sides of the HD battle will be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.