Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What was the last great Nintendo franchise/character created?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-29-05, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now first let me state that I love Nintendo. I think they make incredibly well balanced and fun games. So this isn't a hate thread.

The thing that is always said about Nintendo is that they have great 1st party games. I don't think this is wrong, however I also subscribe to the thought of them recycling characters over and over again. In any ancillary Mario game (Party/Tennis/Golf/Cart...) game you are going to see a lot of the same faces. Also a lot (most?) of their highly anticipated 1st party titles are new additions to franchises that were started in the 80's/90's (your Marios, Metroids, Zeldas).

So I was just curious what you think was the last great character and original franchise that Nintendo has created? For franchises please leave off the ancillary Mario type games and SMB - I'm looking for totally new and original franchises. These don't have to be overly popular and can be more of a "your humble opinion" type deals.
Old 07-29-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts
Animal Crossing
Old 07-29-05, 07:19 AM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts
Would StarFox count?
Old 07-29-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Captain Olimar in Pikmin
Old 07-29-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Would StarFox count?
See I would count the SNES and N64 versions, but I think that's more a perception thing. I've never really been sure what Nintendo was actually responsible for and what they licensed out (if that the right way to say it) like the Donkey Kong Country Games and the latest F-Zero's...I just don't know whats what nor did I ever really care.

Schloob1, that the first thing that came to mind for franchise.
Old 07-29-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go with Pikmin. Animal Crossing is certainly strong as well. Obviously Eternal Darkness was strong but now gone and not really "done" by Nintendo. Sin and Punishment on the n64 had/has a lot of potential for continuation. The one that makes the most money however is likely the new Warioware genre Nintendo has created for itself.

Nintendo gets knocked for using the same characters, but the reality is thats what gamers want. People associate Mario with quality gameplay. When Mario Golf (or whatever game type) sits next a no-name golf game you know the Mario game sells better. It can be annoying to see the same characters in all these games, I agree. However, there isn't much room to complain because these games are usually pretty good when compared to the competition in terms of gameplay IMO.
Old 07-29-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This generation brought us Animal Crossing for the first time to the US and Pikmin is an excellent franchise.

Nintendo has to keep bringing us the old franchise characters, because gamers demand it.
Old 07-29-05, 09:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
None.

If it doesn't have blood and tits, the game is a piece of shit!
Old 07-29-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
This generation brought us Animal Crossing for the first time to the US and Pikmin is an excellent franchise.

Nintendo has to keep bringing us the old franchise characters, because gamers demand it.
Also Advance Wars and Fire Emblem for the first time, though both are older franchises.

I'm surprised nobody's said the obvious yet: Pikachu!
Old 07-29-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
I would go with Pikmin. Animal Crossing is certainly strong as well. Obviously Eternal Darkness was strong but now gone and not really "done" by Nintendo. Sin and Punishment on the n64 had/has a lot of potential for continuation. The one that makes the most money however is likely the new Warioware genre Nintendo has created for itself.

Nintendo gets knocked for using the same characters, but the reality is thats what gamers want. People associate Mario with quality gameplay. When Mario Golf (or whatever game type) sits next a no-name golf game you know the Mario game sells better. It can be annoying to see the same characters in all these games, I agree. However, there isn't much room to complain because these games are usually pretty good when compared to the competition in terms of gameplay IMO.
Captain Olimar & Pikmin for me. Love the little guy.

As for recycling characters, I wish they would cross over more, ala Smash Bros. instead of it always being just the Mario 'gang.' I want to see Link & Samus on the golf course or tennis court going toe to toe. Or make one big cross over 'Party' game ala Mario Party and set the boards in different gameworlds(Hyrule and others). The 'party' is stale and something like this could rejuevenate it.

Oh and bring back Icarus!
Old 07-29-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Oh and bring back Icarus!
LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!!!
3 consoles and still no Icarus at this point I would love to see just a straight port of the original NES game with updated graphics.
Old 07-29-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Animal Crossing. There are so many cool characters in that game.
Old 07-29-05, 06:34 PM

Animal Crossing was a major addiction for over a year, e-cards and all. Nintendogs is looking like a new major franchise as well. As far as new characters go Prof. E. Gadd, Olimar and ALL Animal Crossing characters (K.K., Nook, Pete) are destined to be Nintendo classics in my book.
Old 07-29-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Hmm... wonder if the next iteration of Smash brothers will have KK Slider or Nook. That'd be great...

Animal Crossing DS, where are you???
Old 07-29-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tsohg
LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!!!
3 consoles and still no Icarus at this point I would love to see just a straight port of the original NES game with updated graphics.
At least we will be able to play the original on the Revolution, more than likely.
Old 07-29-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tsohg
LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!!!
At least we will be able to play the original on the Revolution, more than likely. I do find it odd that there hasn't been a Gameboy sequel or udate in all these years.
Old 07-29-05, 09:14 PM

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,064 Posts
I miss you, Commando / Bionic Commando.
Old 07-29-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I heard nintendo working on new version "Icarus" for Revolution.
Old 07-30-05, 12:31 AM

Yup...

I got the first Nintendo on my block when I was a kid and kicked it old school with Link and the gang, but I never forgot Kid Icarus. The very idea that there's been a Rygar update, but not Icarus is crazy. And I liked the original Rygar! Dig that shield!!!
Old 07-30-05, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Rygar. Another classic. I'd like to play that again as well. Hopefully Nintendo comes through on some cheap pricing on these games for revolution.
Old 07-30-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pikmin 2 was a fantastic game, i loved every second of it. Also loved Fire Emblem, soooo glad they brought this stateside, couldn't put it down.

but the cast of characters doesn't even come close to Animal Crossing. I wonder what my town is doing right now....

I remember bionic commando but that was a capcom game (he's in Marvel VS Capcom I think).

don't forget about pilotwings and wave race . a sequel to one of those is coming (hopefully the former)
Old 07-30-05, 05:04 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Rygar. Another classic. I'd like to play that again as well. Hopefully Nintendo comes through on some cheap pricing on these games for revolution.
Don't think Rygar was Nintendo. It came out in the arcade first and I don't recall it being Nintendo. Looks like they made an update too for PS2 http://www.rygargame.com/rygar/home.html
Old 07-30-05, 05:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Looks like Rygar = Tecmo. Great game though, IIRC they really did it up nice on NES but was hard as hell.
Old 07-30-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kirby was stupid fun.
Old 07-30-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still haven't got either of these series in the US yet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.