Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest Waste of Talent...Director Edition

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say that my personal choice would be Guy Ritchie. Lock Stock, Snatch and his BMW Film just rocked. And now....

I'm just hoping his new film Revolver (http://imdb.com/title/tt0365686/) pulls him out of it (and leaves Madonna).
Old 07-28-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get the point of this thread.

Are we discussing directors who were once at the top of their game and now have made shit?

-- OR --

Are we directing good directors who have made a few shitty films?
Old 07-28-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
All he (Guy Ritchie)did that could really be considered a waste IMO was Swept Away.

FWIW, while not bad films, I think Steven Spielberg wasn't needed to make Minority Report or War of the Worlds the way they were made. He just didn't seem to bring his unique touch to them. Granted, they were entertaining, but just not enough of him and too much Cruise control if you know what I mean.
While we're on the subject, just about any American John Woo movie, aside from Face/Off. M:I-2, good, but another case of obvious Cruise control!
Old 07-28-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd add Francis Ford Coppola then...a freaking genius for a while there...but it has been downhill sfor quite some time until now when he's pretty much done.
Old 07-28-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't get the Guy Ritchie thing either. He made one bad film a few years ago
Old 07-28-05, 09:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I'd add Francis Ford Coppola then...a freaking genius for a while there...but it has been downhill sfor quite some time until now when he's pretty much done.

I disagree. I thought his RAINMAKER was the best of the Grisham bunch.
Old 07-28-05, 10:09 PM

George Lucas. I wouldn't say he's a big waste of talent, and I haven't seen revenge of the sith, but I would have liked to see more of the great stuff he did during the 70's. American Graffiti is an all time favorite film of mine.
Old 07-28-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When Linklater and Rodriquez are making kids films.
Old 07-28-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Mike Judge?
Old 07-28-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, let me add the fact that Ritchie's last movie was 3 years ago....that was the other reason I named him. It sucks have a kickass director only make 1 movie in the last 5 years and it for it to be Swept Away.
Old 07-28-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
When Linklater and Rodriquez are making kids films.
Linklater has had worse films than School of Rock and they were called The Newton Boys and Tape. However, Bad News Bears is his worst film yet bar none.

While Spy Kids 3D and The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3D were just shit films, Rodriguez has done bad films in addition to them (such as Roadracers and Once Upon a Time in Mexico). Then again, I haven't been too hot over Rodriguez. Especially when I think his best film is The Faculty (sure, Sin City is a great film, but The Faculty is more entertaining for me).
Old 07-28-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
I disagree. I thought his RAINMAKER was the best of the Grisham bunch.
Hmm never saw that one. I did see Jack though...
Old 07-28-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Mike Judge?
I hear he's working on two movies, and I'M - SO - ANXIOUS!
Old 07-29-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Verhoven and the movie "Showgirls".

I get his style...at least what i have seen in "Robocop", "Total Recall" and "Starship Troopers", but "Showgirls" really just didn't click.

Maybe its because it wasn't an action movie, maybe its because it had Elizabeth Berkley in it, or maybe it was just dumb.
Old 07-29-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Mike Judge?
The guy has done one film since Beavis and Butthead (not counting his numerous bit parts), and Office Space is comedic genius.

And even though I've outgrown them, I still have a soft spot for B&B. That was me and my friend Jeremy in high school, no doubt.
Old 07-29-05, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I think Verhoven and the movie "Showgirls".

I get his style...at least what i have seen in "Robocop", "Total Recall" and "Starship Troopers", but "Showgirls" really just didn't click.
If you "get" Verhoven's style, you'd know that "Showgirls" fits perfectly into his oeuvre.

BTW, personally, I haven't been impressed by anything Richie's done. But then, that's just me.

Last edited by meritocracy; 07-29-05 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-29-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It pains me to say it because I think their first 8 films are absolutely brilliant - but it seems like the Coen brothers have been going down hill a bit lately.

The Man Who Wasn't There
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

Not complete garbage - but certainly nowhere near the level they used to be at. Doesn't look like they have much on their burner right now either...
Old 07-29-05, 03:27 PM

the man who wasn't there and intolerable cruelty are among the coen brothers best, IMO. The Ladykillers, however...not so much.
Old 07-29-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddSm66
It pains me to say it because I think their first 8 films are absolutely brilliant - but it seems like the Coen brothers have been going down hill a bit lately.

The Man Who Wasn't There
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers
I agree with the 2nd and 3rd titles, but I think The Man Who Wasn't There is a great film.

I'm afraid that the Coen's have lost their bite and have gone too mainstream.

Hopefully they'll return to form for the next film.
Old 07-29-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I'd say James Cameron.

It's like the popular success of Titanic went to his head. Although I don't hate Titanic, I think it's his weakest movie (not counting "Piranha 2") and its overwhelming success at the box office and the Oscars lead directly to him taking off almost a decade from making movies (I don't think his documentaries count in this regard).

If he hadn't made that movie, just imagine how many more Cameron movies we would probably have now. What a waste of talent.
Old 07-29-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Linklater has had worse films than School of Rock and they were called The Newton Boys and Tape. However, Bad News Bears is his worst film yet bar none.

While Spy Kids 3D and The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3D were just shit films, Rodriguez has done bad films in addition to them (such as Roadracers and Once Upon a Time in Mexico). Then again, I haven't been too hot over Rodriguez. Especially when I think his best film is The Faculty (sure, Sin City is a great film, but The Faculty is more entertaining for me).
Tape is Linklater's greatest film, IMO. And as for Rodriquez, well, he shows signs of greatness every now and then but then he comes out with another kids movie.
Old 07-29-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Peter Bogdonavich (Last Picture Show, Paper Moon, What's Up Doc, Daisy Miller) - Oy, where'd that guy go?
Old 07-29-05, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ToddSm66

The Man Who Wasn't There
Intolerable Cruelty
The Ladykillers

Not complete garbage - but certainly nowhere near the level they used to be at. Doesn't look like they have much on their burner right now either...
The Coen's have been going downhill lately, but I still think they will come back.
Old 07-29-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Madonna killed Guy Ritchie's career...

I really liked Intolerable Cruelty...

Linklater is defiantly going down hill with these safe flicks...

I personally think Rodriguez is one of the best... I'm a fan of Roadracers, and didn't mind Once Upon A Time In Mexico (despite the pretty cheesey story).

I personally think Scorsese has been on a down slide. Ever since he started work with Leo I haven't been impressed. Hopefully The Departed will be good.

Showgirls was definatly up Verhoven's alley. Not the best movie, but I seen worse.
Old 07-29-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
School of Rock wasn't a kids film and it was very good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.