What's yours CSI preferences ?

My personal preferences are:

1) CSI - Las Vegas

2) CSI - Miami

3) CSI - NY
Old 07-27-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Vegas is the only one I can watch. I watched the first season of Miami and couldn't take anymore of that. NY is way too dark.

However, I will say that Miami is visually stunning in HD.
Old 07-27-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I watch Las Vegas and Miami.

However after that horrible season finale for Miami, I may drop it if things don't improve in this upcoming season.
Old 07-27-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the original list. But, I don't watch NY at all. It never caught me after the first few episodes.

Also agree with the HD comment. The bright sun and bikinis don't hurt that point either.
Old 07-27-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I watch NY - never seen the original or Miami.
Old 07-27-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only watch Las Vegas. Never cared much for NY, watched a couple episodes and it didn't do anything for me. I'd probably watch Miami (it really does look stunning in HD) if it weren't for David Caruso. I can't stand him, and refuse to watch anything he's in. He's my least favorite actor ever. Remove him from the cast, and I might watch again.
Old 07-27-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Vegas is the only one I can watch. I watched the first season of Miami and couldn't take anymore of that. NY is way too dark.

However, I will say that Miami is visually stunning in HD.
Strong agreement on all counts.

Doesn't get better than Vegas. Grissom is the man.

Miami: I like Caruso, it is the rest of the cast that blows it for me. Can't stand any of them. They have zero chemistry unlike Vegas, which has it in spades. Looks killer in HD.

NY: Watched the first half dozen and was put off. Not sure why. Maybe it was the chemistry element as well. Lame storylines don't help either.
Old 07-27-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoy the original (Las Vegas) CSI.........because I really enjoy the characters. If it wasn't for the fact that I enjoy the characters so much it would just be another crime show.

I tried watching CSI: Miami a few times and hated the characters, I just cannot watch it.

I have never even seen CSI:NY. The concept of all these spin offs a la Law & Order is retarded imo.
Old 07-27-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
I like Miami the most, but also watch Vegas. Saw the first NY episode and didn't like it, so I haven't watched it since.
Old 07-27-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great topic, and one that the wife and I debate regularly.

A year or two ago, CSI Vegas would have been the best of the best, bar none, but with the most recent season, and character developement thereof, I hate to admit that it has dropped significantly for me, even though I love and live in the city.

For me, it boils down to:

1. CSI Miami
2. CSI New York
3. CSI Vegas.

It really hurts to admit, as well, as the first few seasons of Vegas were simply outstanding, but, more then anything, what brings it down is the weakest links, the female actresses on Vegas destroy the show for me.

I'm sorry, but whether it be Dr. Maggie Doyle on ER, Agent Gina Toscano on the West Wing, or Sara Sidle, the character never changes. She protrays the character the exact same on all three shows, and with every episode, she gets more and more annoying.

Less annoying, but still replete with a bad attitude and repitive facial expressions, Catherine Willows is not doing anything for me either. The character is tired, and although her acting seems far surperior to that of Fox, it is still substandard when compared to the women counterparts on the other CSIs.

Now, Nick, Warrick, and Brass, however, I feel are superb casting as the supporting actors, and the best of the franchise, as far as I'm concerned.

Grissom's character is starting to become tires for me as well. Granted, Caine is a little on the emotional side when faced with the Miami cases, I still feel a superiority when it comes to a lead actor. Calleigh Dusquene (Emily Proctor) is a far superior and dynamic character, and is put in a much higher regard as far as I'm concerned then the two women of Vegas. I have always enjoyed Caruso's style, dating back to the NYPD Blue days, and and very glad to see the Kelly character living on in that of Caine. The supporting male actors, however, are much less in regard to that of Vegas'

CSI New York is not without issues, but has a workable cast that I can see only getting better, as opposed to Vegas' getting worse.

In my ideal little dream world, where we could create the best possible CSI cast from the current three casts, here are my picks

Setting: Las Vegas

Cast:

Lead: Horatio Caine (Caruso)
Female Supporting #1: Calleigh Dusquene (Proctor)
Female Supporting #2: Stella Bonasera (Kanakaredes)
Male Supporting #1: Warrick Brown (Dourdan)
Male Supporting #2: Nick Stokes (Eads)
DNA: Greg Sanders (Szmanda), Valera (Bliss), Hodges (Langham)
Medical Examiner: Dr. Al Robbins (Hall)
Detective: Brass (Guifoyle), Frank Tripp (Linn)

I will continue to Tivo all three, and all are good in there own way, but Miami still stands out as the best, unfortunately.
Old 07-27-05, 02:15 PM
Cool New Member

1) Vegas
2) NY
3) Miami

Both my wife and I can't stand Caruso: from the sunglasses, to the heartfelt moment with the wife/child of the victim, to the arrogant way he delivers his pun lines. I watch it occasionally for how good it looks in HD, and am reminded every time that I shouldn't again.

Grissom is the exact opposite for me, I think everything works for his character. NY is ok, not great and not bad. It's serviceable entertainment.
Old 07-27-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jmb295
Both my wife and I can't stand Caruso: from the sunglasses, to the heartfelt moment with the wife/child of the victim, to the arrogant way he delivers his pun lines.

Those are reasons I enjoy David Caruso on the show- he make it more enjoyable for me. I can't really say one show is better than the other- I like them all, but Caine is my favorite lead.
Old 07-27-05, 02:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vegas - still the best of the 3 but I think even this is starting to lose steam...
NY - After Miami I wasn't sure I wanted to give another one a try but I'm enjoying it so far.
Miami - I tried watching the first season and it just didn't catch on for me. I'm not sure if it was the stories or the characters or the actors or what but I just didn't get into it.
Old 07-27-05, 03:03 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Miami - Love caruso, love the scenery, and enjoy Sofia Milos.
Vegas - Good, but has some very annoying characters, I know the miami ones are not much better, but Grissom irks me.
NY - NY blows chunks, gave up on it after 5 eps, the mrs stayed till the end and regretted it,
Old 07-27-05, 04:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Las Vegas for sure, but Miami is starting to grow on me. As for NY, I can't stand the lab scenes for some reason. I think the last straw was one where the latina girl builds a horrible model of some guy's face out of clay and the witness or family recognizes it. Awful.
Old 07-27-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watch Vegas from time to time. Don't watch Miami or NY.
Old 07-27-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

great thread EDLER

As others have said Miami in HD looks amazing!. I know lots of people like to piss on Caruso's acting but I think he's fantastic. They way he stops, stares and pulls of his shades is pricless everytime!!

I haven't watched Vegas the last 2 seasons always seems to something else on but I did catch the first 3 or 4(?) very good show!!

Tried to watch NY but like someomne said earlier the lighting is way too dark and gray. I guess they proucers wanted a different look but I don't like it
Old 07-27-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
NY just tries to go over the top with the darkness.

i mean, parts of the lab, and the morgue look like a medieval dungeon.
Old 07-27-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As many others have already stated, Miami has the best HD. But not just out of the three CSI's, I feel it is the single best HD of *any* current show.

NY never caught on with any type of NYC feel for me. I had high hopes for this show initially but don't think they ever made proper use of NYC as a backdrop for their cases.
Plus the cast is fairly uninspiring, and does not jell together well at all.

I actually like Caruso's over stated character and still like Grissom in Vegas.

I am happy to watch either of those shows but there has to be nothing else available for me to sit through an episode of NY.
Old 07-27-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phil L.
As many others have already stated, Miami has the best HD. But not just out of the three CSI's, I feel it is the single best HD of *any* current show.

NY never caught on with any type of NYC feel for me. I had high hopes for this show initially but don't think they ever made proper use of NYC as a backdrop for their cases.
Plus the cast is fairly uninspiring, and does not jell together well at all.

I actually like Caruso's over stated character and still like Grissom in Vegas.

I am happy to watch either of those shows but there has to be nothing else available for me to sit through an episode of NY.
Holy shit you just saved me some typing
Old 07-27-05, 06:43 PM

My order of preference:
CSI
CSI:NY

Don't watch:
CSI:Miami for Caruso
Old 07-27-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are some of the anti-Caruso opinions the result of ancient NYPD bitterness?

As someone who never watched that show I don't have that perspective, but Horatio Caine is one of my favorite characters of any series- for reasons some of you can't stand ...the glasses, one-liners, the personal feel he has for victims and their families, the nobility.

I like Grissom, but William Petersen's claim in an Entertainment Weekly interview that his biggest challenge is "to stay awake, which keeps it fresh for me", shows every time- he always looks bored, like he'd rather be anywhere else.

I hope Tarantino's brief stint as director gave Petersen some motivation to keep at it, and hopefully the writers will find more to do with his character.

As for NY- Apparently the show will get lighter for season 2- both in cinematography and storytelling.
Old 07-28-05, 12:53 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
miami
vegas
ny

I don't watch ny, watched the 1st 4 eps, and bailed, the mrs watched the season and regretted it.

I love the feel location and cast of miami, well mostly caruso, calleigh and Sofia..

Speedel was great,
Delco sucks
the new kids a fuckin idiot
valera's hot.
Old 07-28-05, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Vegas baby!
Old 07-28-05, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As with 99.99999% of other viewers, obviously Vegas all the way. Miami doesn't bother me as much as others, think I caught all but a couple of this season's episodes. But for some reason NY just got worse and worse for me as time went on. I think I completely gave up on the show in January... Was just extremely dull with extremely wooden characters. At least Horatio provides some comedy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.