Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

looks like there's going to be more canon Star Wars sources

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-27-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A large component of the future of Star Wars and Lucasfilm is digital animation. Sansweet announced that the new Lucasfilm Animation division is open for business. "I'm very excited to be able to break the news to you here this afternoon that preproduction has begun on the next generation of the Star Wars saga, a cutting edge 30-minute, 3-D computer-animation series based on the Clone Wars that take place between Episode II ... and Episode III."

The new series, Sansweet explained, is planned for a TV debut in the Fall of 2007. "To get the series underway, Lucasfilm Animation has hired key production and creative talent to lead the development of its first animation project," said Sansweet. "Gail Currey, who's the Vice President and General Manager of Lucasfilm Animation couldn't be here today, but she asked me to tell you that the early episodic treatments for the series are absolutely amazing, and that she can't wait to share this treat with Star Wars fans."

Sansweet described the look of the new series as a melding of Asian anime with unique 3-D animation styling. He identified key members of the new television team. Executive Producer of the series will be Catherine Winder, whose credits include Ice Age, "Aeon Flux," and "Spawn." Also hired is Dave Filoni, whose credits include "Avatar: The Last Airbender." The Head of Lucasfilm Animation's Singapore location, where a lot of the animation work will take place, will be Chris Kubsch. His credits include the ILM animated short Work in Progress, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Titanic.

"Also on board is a guy who is already familiar to many Star Wars fans," said Sansweet. It's Henry Gilroy, who wrote the Dark Horse comic adaptations of both Episodes I and II.

"Over the next several years, Lucasfilm Animation will be hiring a total of about 300 digital artists and others in both [California and Singapore] locations to produce not only the series and animated feature films in the years ahead," said Sansweet.
http://www.clonewarz.com/news/2005/0...ries-news.html
Old 07-28-05, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Hopefully this paves the way for my idea: Episodes 7-9 completely digital with Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, and other actors voicing their not-quite-so aged and out of shape characters

Can you imagine an Obi-Wan-like Luke mentoring new Jedi in his new vision of the force along with Force ghosts of Obi, Yoda, Anakin and Qui-Gon helping out? Battling the Imperial Remnant and underground Sith followers while Leia rebuilds the senate/republic.

Makes me drool, lol
Old 07-28-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully this paves the way for my idea: Episodes 7-9 completely digital with Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, and other actors voicing their not-quite-so aged and out of shape characters
Won't happen!

Class, I know you and I have butted heads on this issue, but here in that article did it say the shows are canon?
Old 07-28-05, 03:53 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If lucasfilm is doing them, then it's canon in my book.

I dont' see why you care so much about this issue. I've never seen such a die hard star wars geek that ONLY cars about the 6 movies.
Old 07-28-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by JTH182

Can you imagine an Obi-Wan-like Luke mentoring new Jedi in his new vision of the force along with Force ghosts of Obi, Yoda, Anakin and Qui-Gon helping out? Battling the Imperial Remnant and underground Sith followers while Leia rebuilds the senate/republic.

Makes me drool, lol
I would enjoy a Zahn trilogy of CG films. I think that would kill.
Old 07-28-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's made by LucasFilm with George Lucas playing a role in it. If that's not canon then ESB and ROTJ aren't canon.
Old 07-29-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just have Han shoot first Lucas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-05, 02:08 AM

I dont' see why you care so much about this issue. I've never seen such a die hard star wars geek that ONLY cars about the 6 movies.
Because 99% of EU sucks ass worse than Jar Jar sniffing a eopie fart. That simple enough? Besides, not considering something canon doesn't automatically mean you don't care for it. It's just completely irrelevant to the films, which Lucas has proven by some of his past decisions. Other than Zahn's books, which were passable, everything else has just stunk to high heaven. It wouldn't surprise me if the live-action TV show stunk either. You just can't do Star Wars justice visually on the small screen with small budgets. Couple that with the fact that you know Lucas is going to choose something stupid as the story, and I prefer he never thought of the idea. Let Star Wars ride off into the sunset. It's been milked enough.

However, I'm much more receptive to the CG series.

Personally, I would find it much more interesting for Lucas to go make those art films he's been boasting about doing for the last year, rather than spend the rest of his career in Star Wars.

It's made by LucasFilm with George Lucas playing a role in it. If that's not canon then ESB and ROTJ aren't canon.
We've gone down this road before. All I'll say is when the Lucas is Lucasfilm says only the films are canon, which he has done a few times, that's good enough for me to not consider it canon. ESB and ROTJ are the films. They're canon by default.

Last edited by Terrell; 07-31-05 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-01-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They said only the films are canon before any ideas of a TV show or CGI show or even the clone wars cartoons existed.
Old 08-02-05, 03:44 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what ever comes out, I'll be looking forward to it.
Old 08-02-05, 04:14 PM

They said only the films are canon before any ideas of a TV show or CGI show or even the clone wars cartoons existed.
It isn't "they" said that. It's the creator of Star Wars said that. The format has nothing to do with it being canon. Why? Because they are not part of the films.

We're not going to agree on this no matter what Class. But if Lucas himself said that, why should I disagree with him. Heck, he's disregarded EU material like it's nonexistent. Contradicted some of it flat out. He doesn't even pay any attention to it most of the time.

I'm going to enjoy the TV show, provided it doesn't suck eggs. I don't need it to be canon to enjoy it. I still think it's a terrible idea. I'd rather see Lucas get away from Star Wars completely and make the art films he keeps talking about making. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 08-03-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
I'm going to enjoy the TV show, provided it doesn't suck eggs. I don't need it to be canon to enjoy it. I still think it's a terrible idea. I'd rather see Lucas get away from Star Wars completely and make the art films he keeps talking about making. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.
That's pretty much my thoughts as well... both on the subject of what is canonical and what I was hoping Lucas would do after Episode III.
Old 08-03-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, Lucas said it before there was any talk of a TV show or cartoon or whatever.

Fast forward, Lucas himself worked on the Clone Wars cartoons. How is that not canon?

Similarly, he will have a role in the TV shows and such. So they’ll all be canon.
Old 08-03-05, 01:37 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Terrell
It isn't "they" said that. It's the creator of Star Wars said that. The format has nothing to do with it being canon. Why? Because they are not part of the films.
Still, class's point is valid. When Lucas said that only the films are canon the clone wars cartoons and the upcoming show were not even conceive of yet.

So he was just saying the books, comics, video games etc. weren't canon.

We have no way of knowing whether Lucas considers the cartoons and the upcoming TV show to be Canon or not until he says something specifically about them, or in the future again says "only the films are canon."

I'm not willing to take "only the films are canon" as a never change thing from George, as his endless tinkering with the OT shows he changes his mind and ideas quite often.
Old 08-03-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Class316
Yes, Lucas said it before there was any talk of a TV show or cartoon or whatever.
Lucas said this stuff during the 1990s. At that time, there had already been two cartoon series (Droids and Ewoks). And also two Ewok TV movies that he worked on extensively.

Return of the Jedi was executive produced by Lucas, based on his story.
The Ewok Adventure was executive produced by Lucas, based on his story.

One is canon, one isn't. Contrary to the thought that the SW world changed with the introduction of a Clone Wars cartoon, this isn't new territory. Until Lucas comes forward and claims that the new stuff is canon, I see no reason to think any differently about a statement that he has repeated many different times.

On the topic of new Star Wars on TV: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=31858
Old 08-04-05, 10:30 AM
Retired

The droids/ewoks cartoons and movies aren't fair comparions, as to the best I can remember, they don't tie directly into the movie story arc like the clone wars does and I imagine the TV series will.

I think until he comes forward one way or the other, we should just all say we don't know if the cw cartoons or upcoming show are official canon or not.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 08-04-05 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
The droids/ewoks cartoons and movies aren't fair comparions, as to the best I can remember, they don't tie directly into the movie story arc like the clone wars does and I imagine the TV series will.
I'm not sure I understand the logic here... for example, the Droids cartoon series deals with 2 major characters (R2-D2/C-3PO). It features cameos by other familiar faces (stormtroopers, Boba Fett, IG-88) from the films. Anthony Daniels even provides the voice. I don't even know what you mean by "tie directly into the movie story arc". Does something have to feature stories with Luke, Obi-Wan, or Anakin to qualify? If so... well, I suspect that the new live-action show won't make the cut either.

And, again, one of points that keeps being brought up is that if Lucasfilm makes it and Lucas is involved in it, it must be canon. I'm showing that this isn't the case. Lucas was all over this stuff as well (as much if not more so than the Clone Wars cartoon), and it isn't canon.

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I think until he comes forward one way or the other, we should just all say we don't know if the cw cartoons or upcoming show are official canon or not.
Well, that's an idea that I can definitely get behind. But that isn't what Class316 has been doing in his threads (or you either, judging from your "it's canon in my book" comment above). People are claiming that this stuff IS canon... and using criteria to determine this that can be easily contradicted.
Old 08-04-05, 03:36 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I'm not sure I understand the logic here... for example, the Droids cartoon series deals with 2 major characters (R2-D2/C-3PO). It features cameos by other familiar faces (stormtroopers, Boba Fett, IG-88) from the films. Anthony Daniels even provides the voice. I don't even know what you mean by "tie directly into the movie story arc". Does something have to feature stories with Luke, Obi-Wan, or Anakin to qualify? If so... well, I suspect that the new live-action show won't make the cut either.
I think I used to strong of language.

What I meant by tying into the story arc of the movies was that the plot of the clone wars cartoons tied direcly into the movies. It was the opening crawl. Things that happened in them (Grevious's reason for coughing) show up in the movies. I imagine things that happen in the TV show will early on be tied into the end of Episode III and it willl end leading end to Episode IV.

Point being, that to the best of my knowldege the Droids cartoons, etc. had nothing to do directly with movie plots, but simply were side stories involving minor characters, that had not relation/impact to the films story arcs.

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Well, that's an idea that I can definitely get behind. But that isn't what Class316 has been doing in his threads (or you either, judging from your "it's canon in my book" comment above). People are claiming that this stuff IS canon... and using criteria to determine this that can be easily contradicted.
We'll I meant to say we can say whether it is "official" canon or not until Lucas speaks.

It's canon in my book simply because I get to pick and choose what I want to believe happened. I don't care about Lucas's stance on the matter.

I was just saying neither side can say it is or isn't "official" canon until Lucas says something further.