Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Situation: Comedy on Bravo ("Project Greenlight" for TV)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone watching this? It's a new show on Bravo, similar to "Project Greenlight" except it is a contest to come up with a new sitcom. I guess they are going to narrow it down to two scripts and produce them as pilots. America will vote on the best one.

I tivo'd it last night but still need to watch it. The premise is intriguing, although I'd be more interested if it was for drama series instead of sitcom.

It stars Sean Hayes and Todd Milliner as Matt Damon/Ben Affleck/Chris Moore.
Old 07-27-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I watched the first episode (they aired two last night). It was pretty entertaining. They flew the 10 finalists out to LA and they pitched their scripts. They narrowed it down to 5 and then those 5 had to pitch it to the NBC executives. The execs chose 2 scripts which they will produce into pilots.

I thought it was funny how they edited the pitches. All the writers were describing their show as "It's like Cheers meets Northern Exposure" or "7th Heaven meets Amen". So this one writing duo described theirs as "It's like Who's the Boss meets funny" which made me

There were some good ideas for shows, but some of the pitches were horrible. I want to go read the scripts for the final 10 to see what they were like. One of the final two they picked sounds kind of bad ("The Sperm Donor") but the script might be funny since those are the guys who made the Who's the Boss joke.
Old 08-21-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I missed an episode and while looking for repeats on the Tivo, I found that each episode is on ONCE in the next two weeks! Considering that Bravo usually runs each of their shows 100 times per week, I'd say they're just reeling this show out until it's over.

Maybe everyone missed this thread when Jadzia first posted it, but, is anyone watching this show? More importantly, would anyone watch either of the two shows that are in competition to be the winner?? I'm still amazed that anyone thinks that even if it wins, a show called "Sperm Donor" is going to be called that on NBC.
Old 08-21-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've watched a few episodes, though I missed at least the first one.

It's a hard show for me to watch because no one is very likeable and neither of the shows sounds interesting (though the first two Project Greenlight movies didn't sound interesting, either, and that was an entertaining show).

I imagine I'll watch until the end, but I doubt we'll see a season two.
Old 08-21-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think either show fits NBC, although at least "Sperm Donor" seems like it could go somewhere with a new title.

I cannot stand the two guys that are behind "Stephen's Life"... and I thought that actor they were in love with for Stephen was horrible. Oh and how about that dude's sister playing the babysitter? I could not even understand her slurred speech in her audition. No idea why people loved her then even.

For newbies they (Stephen's Live) sure are arrogant. I can understanding trying to protect your product -- but hey -- you did sign up for a reality show contest here folks. I think it is funny they have Fred Savage on board to direct lol. He is probably thinking... "Why did I even bother? This isn't the Wonder Years..." heh
Old 08-21-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I figured I was the only one watching this show.

I guess the ratings have been horrid because Bravo moved it to Fridays at 7pm. I thought the last episode about casting was rather interesting to watch. The one writer is in a tough situation with his sister being cast and the network wanting to fire her. Would she have even gotten the audition if she was not his sister? They kept talking about treating her like any other actress, when really she is just a kid getting out of college who got a lucky break. Her read-through was horrid, but I think the lines she was reading were horribly unfunny as well.
Old 08-22-05, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I missed it one week since they changed the time and I couldnt even find a repeat -- must be doing horrid in the ratings like you said.
Old 08-23-05, 03:28 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's been several weird re-schedulings recently. This and FX's new comedies were not only moved just a couple weeks after they started, but they were both moved out of prime-time. Also, I think the Law Firm is being moved to Bravo after only airing 2 episodes.

I've liked this show so far, though it's nowhere near as good as PGL. I don't understand how the writer's sister even got the part in the first place. She was just doing a horrible Napoleon Dynamite impression in the audition. It looked like she mostly got rid of the impression at the table read. Oh well, it made for good tv.

If I remember correctly, there's actually 2 new shows this fall that have to do with sperm donors, but neither of them is related to this show.
Old 08-23-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I entered this contest with a sitcom about single people working in a bookstore. I guess I didn't win.
Old 08-25-05, 11:02 PM
Banned

Gonna go on a tangent here...they gonna bring back Greenlight. I enjoyed the show. Im not even sure they will release Feast to the big screen
Old 08-26-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last I read (somewhere), "Feast" was supposed to release in theatres in January
Old 08-27-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They showed tapings of the two shows on Friday's episode. I didn't think Sperm Doner was funny and I could not understand what the little kid in Stephen's Live was saying half the time.

They had to have been submitted better scripts than the two they narrowed it down to -- I would not want those two executive producers ever to touch a show I ever came up with.
Old 08-28-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There was a show this past Friday? Really? My tivo didn't record it for me...can you tell me if the airing involved Cheri Oteri? I ask because Tivo tells me that an episode of "SC" comes on at 6pm involving here on Friday followed by another episode at 7pm right afterwards.
Old 08-28-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, Cheri Oteri was on the new episode Friday. They got her to do a guest spot on one of the shows... so the two teams had to do a presentation to her and then she would pick which show she wanted to do a guest spot on.
Old 08-29-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go here to see the two pilots: http://television.aol.com/feature/situation_comedy_tv and for voting for the winner.

After watching BOTH of them, my mini-review:
Spoiler:
I could not in good conscience vote for either one of them. I didn't laugh once. You have a choice of semen and egg jokes or a fat obnoxious kid "running" his world with Cheri Oteri playing the principal getting the hawt over one of the 12 year old schoolboys. It was smarmy and creepy.

If these two were the BEST submissions and then rewrite after rewrite after rewrite, then, truly, the sitcom is dead.
Old 08-30-05, 12:46 AM

I haven't been following this series - but I caught one or two episodes early on. I just watched the "sitcoms" and I thought they were terrible. They weren't funny and the laugh tracks seemed awkward. They almost seemed like parodies of sitcoms - very unfunny parodies of sitcoms.
Old 08-30-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SMB-IL
After watching BOTH of them, my mini-review:
I think the main problem were the "executive producer" people that were reading the scripts, etc, picking the people. They lacked vision.