Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Orig. DVD or copy/Defective DVD or player

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05, 08:25 AM
abc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orig. DVD or copy/Defective DVD or player

I recently purchased a few Dysney DVDs on ebay that were supposed to be new, but I am starting to think they may be copies. Is there a way to tell if a DVD is authentic? Also, I seem to be having problems playing one of them on some players and not others. It seems odd to me that a DVD would get stuck or not play on two separate machines, but work on a third. Is it the DVD or the machine?
Old 07-25-05, 10:23 AM
X
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts
You'll probably get more info in this forum.
Old 07-25-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what movies did you buy...

good chance they are boots if it was

jungle book
little mermaid
101 dalmations
Old 07-25-05, 10:43 AM

If it actually says "Dysney" then I'd say it's a bootleg. Check to see if it's the Wildscreen Edition too.
Old 07-25-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
How much did you pay for them? If the prices were way too good to be true, then they are most likely bootlegs, especially if they are older titles that are no longer in print.
Old 07-25-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive learned to not buy movies on Ebay,in the long run it will save you alot of time and money.
Old 07-26-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDHO
Ive learned to not buy movies on Ebay,in the long run it will save you alot of time and money.
I wouldn't go that far. You can find some good deals on Ebay. You just have to do a little research (ie. check a user's feedback) and stay away from any auctions that seem a little suspicious.
Old 07-26-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ebay is fine, you just have to be cautious about who you do business with on it. Check and see if they specify that the item is not a bootleg, and it is authentic and native to it's country/region. If the seller does not specify that the dvd is not a bootleg copy, or mention in any way that only authentic merchandise is sold by the seller, stay clear to avoid disappointment. It's simple, just read the listings harder and if they don't offer up any credible info on the dvd for you to use towards determining it's authenticity, don't buy.

As for you dvds, hard to say, there are some crafty bootleg copys out there I would assume. I have a Panasonic dvd player, and some dvds do not play on it, it's reads a message like, U11 or whatever. So it may be the machine and not the disc. Though, I would say it's both machine and disc. Maybe do to the disc having some kind of little errors on it that confuses the machine.
Old 07-26-05, 10:54 AM
abc

The movies were Little Mermaid, Cinderella and Jungle Book and the prices were pretty good, so I am guessing I did in fact get copies. But the listing specifically said Brand New Region 1 DVD. Well, my main concern at this point is that I have either a movie that plays, or my money back! And oddly enough, the one I was having the most trouble with played fine this morning. Why would it not play one day and then play fine the next? Very frustrating!
Old 07-26-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cinderella doesn't come out in R1 until October, so that right there means that is more than likely a bootleg. If the others are from the same seller, then I would guess the same for them.
Old 07-26-05, 01:16 PM
abc

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Cinderella doesn't come out in R1 until October, so that right there means that is more than likely a bootleg. If the others are from the same seller, then I would guess the same for them.
Where do they get the movie to copy? The paperwork came with it and while I know that they could easily reproduce the paperwork they had to have something to copy it from...and the DVD looks very authentic. I'll tell you what, they did a great job!
Old 07-26-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abc
Where do they get the movie to copy? The paperwork came with it and while I know that they could easily reproduce the paperwork they had to have something to copy it from...and the DVD looks very authentic. I'll tell you what, they did a great job!
They probably got the transfer off of the laserdisc. These are the special features from the LD. I'm pretty sure that the dvd version will not be exactly the same.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042332/laserdisc