Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mysterious Skin

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-05, 07:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Mysterious Skin

So I went to see this film a few weeks ago. For me, it was haunting. I almost even walked out during the first fifteen minutes...something that I have never even considered doing in my life. Hard to explain how it made me feel, and hard to even admit that I went to see it. Basically it is a film about two teenage boys and their experiences with child molestation. Probably the most intensely graphic (visual and verbally) film that I have ever seen and it has stayed with me ever since. I almost feel I have to talk to people about it just to work myself through the experience.

I've told my friends that in the end I felt the movie was amazing. Watching how the story comes together, and the AMAZING acting was worth staying. It is best film I have seen so far this year. However, I also tell them that they shouldn't see it and that I would never recommend it.

So, anyone else seen it and want to talk about it? W
Old 07-25-05, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It played at the local arthouse for one week and I missed it. I'll have to catch it on DVD (the NC-17 version of course as I am sure there will be an R-rated version for Blockbuster).
Old 07-25-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it a while ago when it opened up here. I thought it was really well-made, Gregg Araki has grown up as a film maker. I'm not sure if it's for the better, because I really love his campy stuff too. The acting was great, I'd definetely see anything he makes.
Old 07-31-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very good movie. One of those you talk about after seeing it.

Problem we had in the theatres was that it was apparent the movie was on a dvd rather than film. I found that completely odd. Even more annoying was the constant problems with the dvd freezing and the movie pixellating. Bad dvd.
Old 08-01-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I met Gregg Araki last week at the VSDA convention in Vegas. Talked with him for a while and he's a pretty cool guy. Apparently, his next movie's going to be a horror film. I haven't seen Mysterious Skin yet, but he did sign a screener for me so I'll be watching it soon. I've enjoyed his other movies even at their most masochistic.