http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846
Old 07-24-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Cheaper than what's showing on dvdpricesearch
Old 07-25-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is this really a Bargain price though? I know its the lowest price around, but $38.99 is a standard price for highly anticipated TV show on DVD Releases (with an MSRP of $59.99). Almost all the Buffy & Angel sets went for this price (and the new releases of "Desperate Housewives" & "lost" are too). But I will definatly be buying this set at amazon (less than $40 without tax or shipping is a great deal).
Old 07-25-05, 09:47 PM

It is a bargain price over the first three seasons. The lowest price on Alias 1-3 were $48.99 each at Amazon.

So, to me, $38.99 is a decent bargain...

Last edited by cstephe; 07-27-05 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-25-05, 09:49 PM

Anyone want to STL ....err
Old 07-26-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lost is $38.99 shipped as well
Old 07-26-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

as is Desperate Housewives for $38.99
Old 07-26-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lost and Desperate Housewives are $39.99 each at Coconuts/FYE with a $10 mail-in rebate. They quite often have 15%-20% off coupons with free shipping(usually around holidays-Memorial Day, 4th of July). Hopefully they will have another coupon for Labor Day. I preordered Lost for $40-20%($8)+free shipping-$10 MIR=$22+tax.
Old 07-26-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cstephe
It is a bargain price over the first three seasons. The lowest price on Alias 1-3 were $48.99 each at Amazon.

So, to me, $38.99 is a decent bargain
Well that's obviously because the first three season are all released with a $10 higher MSRP while Season 4 is a pre-order. Unless the MSRP is wrong (and everyone has it at $60), it seems pretty typical pre-order discount.

I'd like to do better than $38.99 too, although I'm not sure how much better. I doubt Best Buy or Circuit City beat that, and they'll have tax. Best bet might be to parlay it into an Overstock order with a coupon (Although Overstock's current price sucks) or a DDD order (whose price also sucks).
Old 07-26-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pretty sure it's going to be around $39 at Costco or Sams. And Costco usually has an additional $10 off if you buy it with another season.
Old 07-26-05, 01:03 PM

Either way I believe the best option is to have it down as a pre order first and cancel if a better deal comes along.I mean cancelling with amazon is literally a couple of mouse clicks. Not sure why theres a debate going on whether its a good deal or not
Old 07-26-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not that great of a bargain. Its $38.98 at Buy.com.
Old 07-26-05, 02:29 PM

Well..it comes out on 10/25 and it's $45 on DDD. Last year their winter 20% off sale was around 11/15. So if you wait a few weeks, you'll be able to get it for $36 there (or cheaper if they lower their $45 price tag to compete with Amazon).
Old 07-27-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Woo-hoo! I just got a $25 GC from them for using the Visa card! So my order only costs 13 bucks!
Old 07-27-05, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ctowner1
Well..it comes out on 10/25 and it's $45 on DDD. Last year their winter 20% off sale was around 11/15. So if you wait a few weeks, you'll be able to get it for $36 there (or cheaper if they lower their $45 price tag to compete with Amazon).
I held back from posting the same thing, because I seem to be posting a lot of "I'll just wait for the DDD sale", and I didn't want to sound like a broken record. But since you posted it first, that's exactly what I was thinking. I actually don't have any of the Alias sets, so maybe they will offer a 1-4 pack at some point.
Old 07-27-05, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by guessed
I held back from posting the same thing, because I seem to be posting a lot of "I'll just wait for the DDD sale", and I didn't want to sound like a broken record. But since you posted it first, that's exactly what I was thinking. I actually don't have any of the Alias sets, so maybe they will offer a 1-4 pack at some point.
I wouldn't be looking for a multiseason set of Alias on DDD - they almost consistently charge MORE for multiseason sets than the total cost of the individual sets. For example, check out the multiseason sets they have of Gilmore Girls - s1&2, s1&2&3, and s1&2&3&4 ALL cost more than the individual seasons cost together. Amazon does the same thing (sometimes). And all you're getting is the individual sets shrinkwrapped together.

After getting Alias 1 as a gift, I bought Alias 2 & 3 on the last sale. I kept looking for it on eBay, and it was NEVER cheaper than the 20% off DDD price (unless it was used and from a questionabley rated seller - and even the used ones were almost always more expensive than the new DDD 20% off price). If it's a long wait and the prices are similar, I would buy it, but if it's only a month or so, like this, I'll wait.

(and, btw, I'd offer you my s2 & s3 in a few months when I'm done watching it, but I'm assuming I'll be able to sell them on eBay for MORE than what I paid for them through the DDD 20% off sale!).

Last edited by ctowner1; 07-27-05 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-27-05, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ctowner1
I wouldn't be looking for a multiseason set of Alias on DDD - they almost consistently charge MORE for multiseason sets than the total cost of the individual sets. For example, check out the multiseason sets they have of Gilmore Girls - s1&2, s1&2&3, and s1&2&3&4 ALL cost more than the individual seasons cost together. Amazon does the same thing (sometimes). And all you're getting is the individual sets shrinkwrapped together.

After getting Alias 1 as a gift, I bought Alias 2 & 3 on the last sale. I kept looking for it on eBay, and it was NEVER cheaper than the 20% off DDD price (unless it was used and from a questionabley rated seller - and even the used ones were almost always more expensive than the new DDD 20% off price). If it's a long wait and the prices are similar, I would buy it, but if it's only a month or so, like this, I'll wait.

(and, btw, I'd offer you my s2 & s3 in a few months when I'm done watching it, but I'm assuming I'll be able to sell them on eBay for MORE than what I paid for them through the DDD 20% off sale!).

I rarely sell my DVDs, especially the TV on DVD sets, but I have found the same thing, that DDD's 20% off sale is often even cheaper than buying used sets. I love those sales . There is the occasional anomaly, as I just got As Time Goes By, series one 1 & 2 (one set) used from Hollywood Video for $10 (after using one of the 50% off any previewed DVD). I will probably watch it once and give it to my parents, I don't expect to like the show enough to keep it. I also got The Aviator 2-disc for $5 with another one of the coupons (obtained from a friend/neighbor). Even better, I used credit from previous trades (from when they had the $5 minimum) instead of cash.

As for the multiseason packs, I had noticed that sometimes they are not much of a savings, and sometimes they are even pricier than the individual sets (usually signifying a price drop for the individual sets that was not reflected in the multiseason price), but sometimes they are a great savings, such as the Frasier, Cheers, and Northern Exposure multiseason sets.

I'm glad I bought Gilmore Girls 1-3 (individually) during the Costco sale, though .

Last edited by guessed; 07-27-05 at 11:29 AM.