Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the rule with bluring labels on TV?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching "Being Bobby Brown" and Bobby is wearing a Raiders jersey.. Shows the Reebok insigna, but the name on the back "Woodson" is blurred.... Is there any reason for this? How do shows decide what labels/brands are shown and which ones aren't?
Old 07-23-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think there is an actual rule for this. I think most shows just do not wish to give free advertising to companies who do not pay for product placement fees. Especially if the companies' competitiors might be paying for advertising, etc.

They might approach all the companies who have visible logos to pay for product placement, and the ones who say no they blur them out.
Old 07-23-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jadzia
They might approach all the companies who have visible logos to pay for product placement, and the ones who say no they blur them out.

that was my thought... very curious if it is true
Old 07-23-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They probably didn't want the player asking for some obscene amount of money for having his name on the show. I wouldn't want to listen to some whiny sports player who already makes 10 million a year if i did this.
Old 07-23-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The rule?

As far as media law is concerned, there isn't any rule saying you can't shoot a logo on a shirt. However, common sense says, if Nike is backing your show (buying advertisements), some doofus wearing a Reebok shirt is going to have a nice blur.
Old 07-24-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its really annoying though and very distracting....I understand the reason for this, but I still say its dumb. Whereas I might not notice a box of Tide detergent in the background, when you blur it out, my eye is immediately drawn to the blurred orange box in the background and I recognize it as a box of Tide.
Old 07-24-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by ENDContra
Its really annoying though and very distracting....I understand the reason for this, but I still say its dumb. Whereas I might not notice a box of Tide detergent in the background, when you blur it out, my eye is immediately drawn to the blurred orange box in the background and I recognize it as a box of Tide.
Bullseye. Most people can figure it out anyways, what's the difference?
Old 07-24-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ENDContra
You must watch a lot of reality T.V. as most scripted shows just go with the generic looking box of maybe a piece of tape over the T in "Tide". Same goes with soda cans and other such things.
Old 07-24-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually I watch absolutely no reality TV....I hate it. I think Im recalling something like that from one of those late night Undressed marathons MTV used to do (addicting as hell...about the only thing even remotely worth watching on MTV when I was in college). I actually heard once that MTV blurred out all logos because they didnt want it to influence children in any way...kinda funny considering some of the crap they have on.
Old 07-24-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by glassdragon
They probably didn't want the player asking for some obscene amount of money for having his name on the show. I wouldn't want to listen to some whiny sports player who already makes 10 million a year if i did this.
Yeah,i can just imagine if they showed a Terrell Owens jersey.
Old 07-24-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
... I think most shows just do not wish to give free advertising to companies who do not pay for product placement fees. Especially if the companies' competitiors might be paying for advertising, etc.
Funny, considering the show involved, I sorta assumed they blurred out only products from the companies who payed money to not be associated with the star or the production.