Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Swimming with Sharks (major spoiler inside)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...guy tortures buddy.. guy shoots dawn and then buddy hire guy to a permament position??? i must have missed something.. shouldn't guy be in jail?
Old 07-23-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guy shoots Dawn but he and Buddy say to the cops that she was the one who tortured Buddy, and was killed in self defense. It was the only way Buddy could live while Guy get's the job he's always wanted.
From the sounds of it, Buddy retires or steps down a position while Guy ends up getting Buddy's job.
Old 07-24-05, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fmian
Guy shoots Dawn but he and Buddy say to the cops that she was the one who tortured Buddy, and was killed in self defense. It was the only way Buddy could live while Guy get's the job he's always wanted.
From the sounds of it, Buddy retires or steps down a position while Guy ends up getting Buddy's job.

i know it is just a movie, but wouldn't buddy go to the cops and say "this psycho tortured me and almost killed me"?
Old 07-24-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Guy got a promotion, but he didn't get Buddy's job. I believe Buddy was more or less blackmailing Guy at the end.
Old 07-24-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fmian
I think that's correct.

I don't think Buddy steps down or retires. I think he keeps his job and is probably still gunning for the job of the woman who is his boss. Buddy promotes Guy who is "the youngest executive they've ever had."

Originally Posted by zak52
I believe Buddy was more or less blackmailing Guy at the end.
I don't think there's any blackmail. Once Buddy told his story he couldn't very well squeal on Guy later. He'd end up in a heap of trouble himself at that point if he did. They have a mutual understanding. Each is not all that "happy" about how things turned out but it was better than the alternative (in their minds) and they will take their secret to the grave, but not without some guilt (maybe Guy more than Buddy). Neither looks like he's jumping for joy at the end.
Old 07-24-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by movielib

I don't think there's any blackmail. Once Buddy told his story he couldn't very well squeal on Guy later. He'd end up in a heap of trouble himself at that point if he did. They have a mutual understanding. Each is not all that "happy" about how things turned out but it was better than the alternative (in their minds) and they will take their secret to the grave, but not without some guilt (maybe Guy more than Buddy). Neither looks like he's jumping for joy at the end.
When Guy said "I have Christmas presents to wrap", I took that as Buddy still had something over Guy. Why would Guy be doing the same errands he did for Buddy that he did before his promotion? Wouldn't Buddy hire another intern to do that? It might not be blackmail, but I think there's still something there.
Old 07-24-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movielib
I think that's correct.

I don't think Buddy steps down or retires. I think he keeps his job and is probably still gunning for the job of the woman who is his boss. Buddy promotes Guy who is "the youngest executive they've ever had."

did buddy really have any big secret? all he told us (the audience) is that his wife was killed in a horrorific way
Old 07-24-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really have to read between the lines.
At one point Buddy tells Guy that in this industry you have to be willing to do anything to get what you want. It kind of suggests that maybe Buddy once did a similar thing to get to the top. He certainly understands the position Guy is in, otherwise he would have called the cops on him.
Old 07-24-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
did buddy really have any big secret? all he told us (the audience) is that his wife was killed in a horrorific way
I think you're misunderstanding what I meant by the story Buddy told. I'm talking about the story Buddy (and Guy) told the police - that Dawn was the torturer and Guy saved him by killing her, not the story about Buddy's wife.