Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Please recommend what you consider to be the best season of any TV show.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-05, 09:32 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Please only do this for shows where you are strongly familar with the entire run of the series (or for shows that are still in production, please be familiar with the entire run so far).

It's OK if the show or season has not yet been released on DVD, because, hopefully, it will eventually be released.

The reason I am starting this thread is for people who are considering purchasing just one season of a particular show, but who may not be sure about which season to purchase.

If you think that enjoyment of the season is heavily dependent on being famililar with plotlines from previous seasons, please say so in your answer, so people can be warned.

OK. I'll start out. My favorite season of Magnum P.I. is season 2. This has been my favorite season of this show for many, many years, long before the DVDs ever came out. On a per episode basis, this season has more fun, action, adventure, etc., than any other season. And each episode is pretty much self contained. A newbie shouldn't have much trouble understanding what's going on.

On edit: You can recommend as many different shows as you want.

Last edited by grundle; 07-23-05 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-23-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4th season of NewsRadio is my absolute favorite. With classics like Super Karate Monkey Death Car, Bill and his Piano, Pure Evil, Security Door, etc. etc. All of them so very hilarious
Old 07-23-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's hard to judge things I haven't seen in awhile, so I'll stick with things I've watched lately.

ER Season 3 - I thought season 2 was fantastic and 3 was every bit its equal. Great storylines, acting, guest stars, etc. made this an extremely compelling viewing. I only wish today's ER was even half the quality of the older seasons.

Simpsons Season 5 - Brimming with now classic episodes such as Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, and many more.
Old 07-23-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Tie: Farscape Season 3 and Babylon 5 Season 3

You have to watch the preceding seasons to follow both of them since both shows are pretty serialized and have highly developed mythologies.

Edit (adding some other shows since we're not sticking to 1):

Blackadder III
Star Trek DS9 Season 6
Buffy Season 3
Angel Season 3
Six Feet Under Season 3

Very short or new shows with only one or two seasons (and I have no real preference between seasons):

Deadwood
Carnivale (season 1 had a better pace, but both seasons are great)
Arrested Development
Freaks and Geeks

Last edited by tasha99; 07-26-05 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-23-05, 01:08 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Simpsons Season 5 - Brimming with now classic episodes such as Cape Feare, The Last Temptation of Homer, and many more.
I agree with the season, but you forgot to mention the best episode, Treehouse 4. It was so good that in a later episode when they showed deleted scenes from various episodes, Treehouse 4 had the most deleted scenes and they were all great.

Buffy season 5 may be my favorite season of any show ever. It felt like a great comic book how it continually built up to a major showdown the entire season. It also features the 2 best episodes, The Body and The Gift.

Six Feet Under season 3 is way up there in favorite season of any show too. I loved the subdued, darker tone the show took during this season. I remember watching it and every week thinking that each episode was better than the last. I do despise the season finale of this season, but it was made up by actually having a real season finale in the form of the season 4 premiere. Too bad I had to wait a full year to get that finale.

Both of these shows have a lot of continuity, but you could still get by just watching them on their own. Buffy season 5 was the first season of Buffy I watched and I wasn't lost at all.

Three of my most hated dramas on TV today all started in Fall 01. One thing they all have in common is they all had great first seasons and have been pathetic ever since IMO. The 3 shows are Alias, 24, and Smallville. Btw, I don't hate them because they're the worst shows on TV, they just have more wasted potential than just about any other show out there.

While there's a bunch of people that will agree with me about Alias and 24, it seems the majority of people seem to like Smallville seasons 2 and 3 much more than season 1. The biggest criticism of season 1 is that's it's all monster of the week stuff. Personally, I feel that everything from writing to music to special effects to even acting was better in season 1 than it has been since. I will say my favorite parts of most of the episodes were the last few minutes where they would have already finished dealing with the MOTW and they would do a little bit with the ongoing storylines. While it seems like it would be ideal that they actually expanded those few minutes into whole episodes in later seasons, the writers just showed that they could only handle doing a few minutes of that stuff every week. The most frustrating thing about Smallville is that it seems like they try to change the characters, but everything has to turn back to status quo before long.

Heh, this wasn't the right thread for a Smallville rant, but I couldn't help myself. Given the initial reason of this thread, I probably shouldn't be recommending just a season of a show that I otherwise mostly dislike. I guess these 5 shows are the first ones I think of when I think of seasons that really stand out from the rest of a series run.
Old 07-23-05, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tasha99
Tie: Farscape Season 3 and Babylon 5 Season 3

You have to watch the preceding seasons to follow both of them since both shows are pretty serialized and have highly developed mythologies.
You can recommend as many shows as you want. I guess I should have been more clear about that. So there's no need for it to be a "tie."
Old 07-23-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
X-files Season 1-4:

The greatest monster, standalone, mythology, humor episodes.

The writing was still crisp, ideas we're still new

Some great episodes include

Season 1: Ice, Beyond the Sea, Tooms, Squeeze, Erlenmeyer Flask
Season 2: Anaszi, Humbug, Colony/End game, One Breath, Ascension/Duane Barry
Season 3:Jose chung, Pusher, Piper Maru/Apocrypha, War of Coprophages, 731/Nisei, Blessing Way, Paper Clip, Clyde Bruckman
Season 4: Herrenvolk, Musings of Cigarette-smoking man, Tunguska/Terma, Paper Hearts, Leonard Betts, Memento Mori, Tempus Fugit/Max, Small potatoes, Zero Sum, Gethsemane

Season 5 is also good..and ends with the movie. You could pretty much stop watching after that..and it would be all good.
Old 07-23-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Without question, the greatest 20+ episode season is the 3rd season of Babylon 5. With apologies to tasha and the wonderful 3rd season of Farscape, nothing comes close, and I'll be surprised if something ever does.

As for the recent trend of shorter 12-14 episode seasons, I'd say the 3rd season of Six Feet Under is the front-runner, with all three seasons of The Wire close on its heels.

Of course, purchasing either of these by itself without seeing other seasons would be terribly stupid.

das
Old 07-23-05, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
X-files Season 1-4:
Which is those 4 is your favorite?
Old 07-23-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grundle
Which is those 4 is your favorite?
If I would have to pick..I would say four is my favorite..followed by 3..then 2..then 1.

But toss up three and four..its pretty equal for me..

Edit: BUt I also recommend seeing the other seasons as well. While as a good portion of the episodes are standalone..things might get confusing in the Mythology arc episodes..and the season premier/finale.
Old 07-23-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Alias:S1
Old 07-23-05, 04:03 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
The Sopranos 1 & 2
Old 07-23-05, 04:26 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
STAR TREK: Season One (1966-1967); still the bar by which all earlier and subsequent TV sci-fi is measured and comes up wanting.

Runner-up: TWIN PEAKS: Season Two; nothing remotely as surreal, inventive and utterly horrifying (not to mention just down right respectful of its audience's intelligence) has ever been on TV.
Old 07-23-05, 04:40 PM

Wonderfalls, Season 1
Firefly, Season 1

Ok, there haven't(and probably won't be) any more seasons of these, but they are both terrific tv.
Old 07-23-05, 05:38 PM

I've gotta go with Tales from the Crypt S2.
Old 07-23-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts
Sopranos Season 1 -- Pure perfection, set a bar so high it'll never be touched again.

Seinfeld Season 4 -- The Contest, The Bubble Boy, The Junior Mint, The Pilot. As good as sitcoms get.
Old 07-23-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All three seasons of the Wire are amazing.
Old 07-23-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Babylon 5 season 3
Old 07-23-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Freaks and Geeks, although not even a complete season, is the finest tv show ever made. IMO of course.
Old 07-23-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rescue Me. Only 1 Awesome season and still going strong
Old 07-23-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The Prisoner...only had one season, so just watch 'em all.

The Sopranos, Season 1

Twin Peaks, Season 1 (and season 2 up until they arrest the murderer of Laura Palmer)
Old 07-23-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
EZ Streets Season 1 (well...only 8 episodes were ever aired).
Farscape Season 3 (though truthfully, start with 2-18 and then head into 3)
Old 07-23-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The first season of The Shield was phenomenal. Ditto 24.

And, of course, Freaks & Geeks.
Old 07-23-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Family Guy - Season 1.

Probably the most Laugh Out Loud funny moment on TV... ever.
Old 07-23-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to say Carnivale S2, excellent mixture of acting and writing, and cinematography, that complimented a really unique story.

Only knock would be the ending, seeing as how it won't comeback for a third season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.