Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thoughts about Onkyo 7.1 HTIB (HT-S780)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 09:18 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone.

I may be in the market to upgrade my home theatre and I am curious if anyone has this HTIB and what they thought about it. It hovers around the $500 mark and thats about where my budget is.

I currently have a Panasonic SA-XR50S Slim Design Receiver and Polk Audio Tower speakers, and MTX audio speakrs completing the rest of my surround/sub setup, and I am curious how much of an upgrade this HTIB would be compared to my current setup.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much do you care about the sound? Since you already have something, HT fanatics would probably say upgrade one piece at a time. That way you can get better stuff if you plan on spending $500 every so often, yearly or every couple years. If this is a one time deal for the next 5-10 years, the Onkyos are very popular for having good sound for the money. The 770 might still be available and save you a bit compared to the new model.

For example:
If you really like your Polks, maybe you'd want to upgrade your center & surrounds to matching speakers instead of a whole new HTiB. Or if the speakers seem just fine, $500 on just a receiver will give you a better one most likely.
Old 07-22-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume the Polk tower speakers are your fronts (left and right) and the MTX are your rear surrounds? Do you have a sub?

I am not as familiar with that setup but the first question is what is your ultimate goal?
If you want a killer system but don't have the money then replace individual components as you have the money. Start with where your current system is the weakest (which might be a sub if you don't have one) or a better receiver. Then move to a center and fronts. Finally get the rears.

On the other hand, if you want a good all-around sounding system at a modest price then look at the Onkyo.

I bought my Onkyo HTiB last year since I had no surround system and was on a budget. I got it for $400 new at CC after shopping around and being patient. I must say that I have been extremely impressed with the system for the price. Keep in mind I am not an extreme audiophile but I could not tell the difference between this system and a $1500 system I listened to. Now I did notice a difference when I listened to a Denon receiver with all Paradigm speakers (about $3000).

Since I couldn't afford the $3000 system I decided to get the Onkyo and upgrade individual components as I had the money. Since I have been so pleased with my current Onkyo I have been in no hurry to upgrade thus far.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little.