Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What PSP games should I buy?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-20-05, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the PSP, wondering what's the best of the best, hate reviewers, trust y'all more, any suggestions?
Old 07-20-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts
It all depends on what type of games you like. I have Tiger Woods, Lumines, Ridge Racer, and Metal Gear Acid. I think all but Metal Gear are excelent games if you like that genre. Coded Arms, which just came out, is suppose to be a pretty good FPS. I would say Lumines gets the most play time in my PSP.
Old 07-20-05, 04:45 PM
Banned

Must have games:

Lumines
WipeOut Pure

I would also recommend Hot Shots Golf, as that game is amazing. But some people just don't like sports games.
Old 07-20-05, 05:22 PM

I just got my PSP and I got Lumines, Wipeout Pure and Hot shots golf. On my trip to San Deigo Comic Con all I really played was Hot Shots. I love wipeout but Hot Shots is very addictive once you start it.

Has any one played Coded Arms, is it any good?
Old 07-20-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only have 2 games: Lumines and Hot Shots Golf. Both of them are really good. My wife and I have played Lumines to death, when we first bought the PSP we played like 4-5 hours a day of Lumines.
Old 07-20-05, 09:07 PM

Hot Shots is by far my most played PSP game. Ridge Racer is great if you like arcade racing games and Twisted Metal is really fun as well. I bought Coded Arms last weekend but it's gonna get traded this weekend. The controls are awful although you can customize them any way you want (I want another analog stick). It's a shame because the game is graphically awesome. I've owned a lot more games but traded 'em in because they sucked (Darkstalkers, THUG, Untold Legends). Death Jr. is all I'm looking forward to but I'm thankful because I'm looking forward to a lot more games on the DS.
Old 07-20-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My collection includes:

Hot Shots Golf
Lumines
Wipeout Pure
Coded Arms
Twisted Metal
Untold Legends

I like them all. I haven't played much Coded Arms yet but, the graphics are good and the controls do take some getting used to. You can't expect too much from a hand held FPS game. The load times are good for all of these games. Lumines and Hot Shots Golf have gotten the most game time of the bunch.
Old 07-21-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've played a bunch of games...here are my quicks reviews:

Ape Escape - Decent platformere, can kill some time
NFL Street 2 - Pretty much a straight port, decent game
NBA Street - Ok, controls are nto the best, but it's fun if you like the genre
ATV Offroad - Ok for what it is...kind of repetitve though
Untold Legends - FUN! Lots of play...a fun hack-n-slash RPG, gets a lot of playtime from me
Tony Hawk - If you like the series, it's good...not my favorite
Lumines - Fun puzzle game...
Wipeout - Ok, not my cup of tea though....kinda boring racing game, I guess I like cars better.
Hot Shots Golf - FUN! Good golf game....takes a LONG time to unlock things
Old 07-21-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They desperately need to get some more games out there for the PSP.

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 07-21-05 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-21-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you like Tetris, buy Lumines.
Old 07-21-05, 05:42 PM

Yeah they really need some more games for the PSP. I have only had mine a week and I am already dying for more games to come out. Right now I would say Lumines and Hot Shots are the two best games since they are easy to pick up and play while traveling. I love Wipeout but I usually dont play it unless I will have a good bit of time without distraction cause wipeout takes more concentration to me than something like hot shots.

I really want a good turn based RPG like KOTOR on it to kill time on long trips
Old 07-21-05, 08:52 PM

if you are interested in lumines, i am selling mine. Let me know. thanks, D

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431390
Old 07-22-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lumines is ok, but damn, that music is so (for a lack of a more politically correct term) "gay".
Old 07-22-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lumines and Hot Shots.
Old 07-22-05, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Lumines is ok, but damn, that music is so (for a lack of a more politically correct term) "gay".
Are you telling me it doesn't make you shake your body, shake your body, shake your body down to the ground?
Old 07-22-05, 12:40 PM

I have played Coded Arms! I went and rented Lumines as per you guys' suggestions, and then bought Coded because that's the only one I know anything about. I am a FPS fan, so I've been following that one.

So far Coded is super. My experience with Coded Arms is an absolute 180 apart from the average reviewer reaction. It's like i'm not even playing the same game as these people. (Coded Arms rates a 55% on gamerankings.com. That's even worse than the reaction to the DS's own FPS, Rogue Agent, which is most certainly an absolutely horrible game.) It seems like the more i play Coded Arms, the more it grows on me.

It's a slick game that screams polish, and it has an excellent level generator, while the gameplay feels like a grade-A shooter that came from the era of Quake. (Dodging in and out from doorways while trying to pick off enemies from far away is usually a quick death. Coded Arms is all about classic run & gun gameplay. It's intense, and it reminds me of Quake.)

The control is probably the most off-putting thing, but don't forget that some of the most-respected console shooters ever made were initially released to consoles with single-stick setups. It takes time to "relearn" how to play, but it's not unplayable by any degree. With about eight hours in, the control is almost totally transparent. (Though i've dominated boss-fights that others scream bloody murder about, so maybe i'm simply sporting more skill in these battles.)

Of course, as is the case with any random level generator, the environments all look the same, and the themes never really come together into a cohesive fashion. However, with regards to the gameplay, the level generator works wonderfully. It always manages to create unique rooms with unique challenges, while linking them up in a logical fashion. (in some exceedingly rare situations you'll end up with tiny dead-end rooms with no apparent purpose. Though most of the time the rooms will sport solid challenges and conceal various power-ups and weapons.) The levels are usually just long enough for you to load a saved game, play for a couple minutes, and save at the start of the next level. The gameplay really seems to be built with portable gaming in mind.

Speaking of the weapons, there are thirty three in Coded Arms. Many appear nearly identical, but they're all balanced and distinct in actual effect. The various weapons deal different kinds of damage to different enemies, so a surprising degree of strategy comes from managing your ammo so you are able to use the right weapon when the situation presents itself. You are also able to upgrade weapons over time through the collection of certain power-ups. (Fairly typical stuff, of course, but Coded Arms is so well balanced that it all comes across as requiring an unusual degree of forethought.)

I enjoy this game, and imho, Konami has made the ideal portable shooter. There's no story, no long-winded cinematics wasting your battery, just a ton of really awesome gameplay.

I recommend Coded Arms, i absolutely love it.
Old 07-22-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just rented Dead To Rights....I'll post a mini-review when I play through it a bit this weekend
Old 07-22-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dead to Rights is awful. Avoid at all costs.
Old 07-23-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Puzzle game: Lumines is Must have (you can get it for $25 at Bestbuy after $5 off PSP/PS2 coupon) Checkout Cheapassgamer.com for the coupon.

Racing game: Ridge Racer is very good racing game.

That's the only 2 best games for PSP right now. Also, Coded Arms is coming out the graphic is incredible but the game played is pretty awsome.

New release "Death Jr." coming soon in August!
http://psp.ign.com/articles/636/636022p1.html
Old 07-24-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I played Dead To Rights for about an hour now. It's a decent rental. I probably wouldn't buy it, but it seems to be on par with the console versions. The controls really tend to suck, since it's like an auto-aiming with only 1 analog stick. It's ok to kill some time though....I'd recommend it if you REALLY like the Dead To Rights series.

*UPDATE*
The game is REALLY short. I beat it in about 2-3 hours of actual play. There is a ad-hoc multiplayer which MIGHT be ok....I don't know though.

This game is a RENTAL at best...do NOT buy

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 07-24-05 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-28-05, 01:59 PM

I really like Hot Shots Golf, as well. But, I will probably get the new Tiger Woods once its released. I'm looking forward to Virtual Tennis for the PSP. That will be sweet one!!
Old 07-28-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any word on Dynasty Warriors?
Old 07-29-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by BassDude
Any word on Dynasty Warriors?
I rented it, it's really not worth it, especially at the 50 pricepoint. Instead of sprawling levels, you have these tiny levels, but a bunch of them. Hack and slash action is similar to the console games.